Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a GX345. It didn't run the best so I took the bowl off and cleaned it and sprayed some carb clean in the holes and what not. It runs alot better but now when its at idle fuel pours out the overflow. I've never had a carb apart. But I have a basic understanding of how it works. My question is could the float be stuck? Or something else all together? Also shouldn't the solenoid cut fuel off so it doesn't leak?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I recently acquired a GX345. It didn't run the best so I took the bowl off and cleaned it and sprayed some carb clean in the holes and what not. It runs alot better but now when its at idle fuel pours out the overflow. I've never had a carb apart. But I have a basic understanding of how it works. My question is could the float be stuck? Or something else all together? Also shouldn't the solenoid cut fuel off so it doesn't leak?
The needle isn't closing. I'd guess the float isn't completely centered and getting hung up on the bowl. That carb isn't horrible to take off. Its just a pain. Pull the bowl back off and make sure the float is free and its closing the needle, Those carbs are very tempormental about being clean so you might look into a dunk in cleaner and freshening it up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks. Now I’ve looked at those cleaners. Do they eat plastic and rubber? I’m getting conflicting answers on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Ok thanks. Now I’ve looked at those cleaners. Do they eat plastic and rubber? I’m getting conflicting answers on it.

Some of the soaking type cleaners can so be careful. Usually best to remove the float (usually plastic ) and needle (tip is usually rubber) before hand. You also want to be sure rubber needle tip is in good shape. It will have to be removed for inspection anyway. This is most likely where your overflow problem is.

Another tip. Be careful removing the pin the float pivots on. Most all pins just slide out sideways once the bowl gets removed. Sometimes one direction is easier than the other. Brake either tab off the carb body and it's all over but the crying.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The needle is hooked to the float correct? Also do I need to remove the governor before taking the carb off on this application?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The needle is hooked to the float correct? Also do I need to remove the governor before taking the carb off on this application?

The needle has a small wire hoop that attaches it to the float and the throttle plate will need to be removed which includes the gov spring. Snap a pic with your phone if you are worried about getting everything back where it belongs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The needle has a small wire hoop that attaches it to the float and the throttle plate will need to be removed which includes the gov spring. Snap a pic with your phone if you are worried about getting everything back where it belongs.
Thanks for the tips. I always try and take pics before I dabble into uncharted territory. I bet half of my pics are from stuff I've torn apart :laugh:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quick update. I checked the float and the rubber tip was torn. Replaced and no more leaks. But it is surging again so I am going to get a can of carb dip and try that.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Thanks to this forum and youtube I rebuilt my first carb. Purchased a carb kit and cleaned everything and now its running as it should!
Thanks for the update. Its much appreciated. Make sure you check your fuel lines because most of my issues on my 345 were due to shedding fuel lines. Everything from the tank to the filter will be likely trapped in the filter but anything upstream from the filter will go directly to the carb.

·
Premium Member
8,783 Posts
Thanks to this forum and youtube I rebuilt my first carb. Purchased a carb kit and cleaned everything and now its running as it should!
This is how we all learn and we are glad you were able to solve the issue. Also, HUGE THANKS for posting the follow up so we know how you resolved the problem. :bigthumb:

This makes the thread so much more valuable for other down the road. It's frustrating when some never post a follow up and we end up with a thread which really goes no where or answers any questions. But you did it RIGHT.....

Looking forward to having you around here on GTT......Also, don't hesitate to post YOUR pictures when you solve something because it's helpful for others as well.....

The surging might also be a governor spring stretched, improperly attached, etc.......I bet Fozey will know about that more than I do as my stuff is diesel........

This is the link to the parts diagram for the governor, for your reference......John Deere - Parts Catalog

Here is the diagram from the parts site on the governor......

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Normally, surging on a 345 is one of the small idle passages in the carb being partially plugged. They are tiny and will not tolerate even a small a mount of debris. This is why I suggested checking {changing is better) the fuel lines because I'd bet a freshly minted frank that your carb issues were initiated by fuel line issues.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did change all the fuel lines. I also replaced the fuel pickup tube in the tank and cleaned the tank out. I figured I had it all apart might as well. Fuel lines are cheap enough. Upon rebuilding the carb I noticed the fuel pump doesn't have the over flow tube. So I ordered one. I bought one from Flip Mfg. Anyone have any experience with them?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I did change all the fuel lines. I also replaced the fuel pickup tube in the tank and cleaned the tank out. I figured I had it all apart might as well. Fuel lines are cheap enough. Upon rebuilding the carb I noticed the fuel pump doesn't have the over flow tube. So I ordered one. I bought one from Flip Mfg. Anyone have any experience with them?
I did a little research on them when I was looking for a steering cylinder. I found very little information which tells me they are foreign, most likely Chinese and I would bet Flip was chosen because they reverse engineer (steal) industry items and produce them to be imported into the US. Besides my anger toward what I believe to be illegal business practices, (federal patent infringement would prevent much of what they do to be produced domestically) the warranty I found was only 90 days on a $300 cylinder which is another Chinese tipoff. I'm not saying don't buy from them. I'm giving my impressions from what I saw and what I believe to be true based on logical deduction. If you don't mind sharing any paperwork you receive, I'd be interested to see what it contains. I'd be tickled to find I was wrong and they are manufactured domestically using American workers and follow every law to the letter but me thinks not.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If there is any paperwork or a stamp where it is made I will post.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
If there is any paperwork or a stamp where it is made I will post.

Thank you sir! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
There was no stamping anywhere on the pump but on the box it says made in China. Also the is an "instruction sheet." Which basically says to let a pro fix it. I would post pics but I can't figure out how to. I click on the pic I want to post and then nothing happens.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
There was no stamping anywhere on the pump but on the box it says made in China. Also the is an "instruction sheet." Which basically says to let a pro fix it. I would post pics but I can't figure out how to. I click on the pic I want to post and then nothing happens.
Thank You for the update. My assertions were quite correct it would appear. Let us know how it works compared to the original and the longevity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts