Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So 1 year ago, I changed the hydro fluid in my GX345. Immediately after, a leak developed in the rear end and it leaves a puddle in the garage about dinner plate size over 1 week. I figured it was a bad gasket seal. Kept it topped up all season.

This year I had time so I bought fluid, a new filter along with 2 new gasket washers for the drains from the dealer, thinking this was my problem. Well here is where I realized my mistake, I only removed 1 drain bolt (the front most one) the first time I did it a year ago and filled thru the big site bottle in the rear.

Anyways, this year, I removed both drain bolts. Refilled per manual (didn't last year) with roughly half gallon on each fill port. I still have a leak.... I did it all per the manual this time.

My question is, IF I overfilled this unit, will the pressure blow out a seal and cause a perpetual leak?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,428 Posts
Off topic, I changed the transaxle oil and filter on my x485. I never thought about a washer on the drain plug (there was not any, maybe never had one, or not replaced at first oil change?) So I just put the drain plug back in with out a washer. I checked JD parts and sure enough it should have a washer :banghead: So far not leaking :good2: I KNOW I am not quick enough to remove the drain plug and add the washer. My luck, I would put my thumb over the drain hole and the drain plug would roll out of reach :flag_of_truce::focus:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too long didn't read version: IF I overfilled this unit, will the excess fluid blow out a seal and cause a perpetual leak?

I'm still trying to find the leak...

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Could be the seal from the output shaft on top. If over flowed it will expand when heated and may be leaking out the breather.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could be the seal from the output shaft on top. If over flowed it will expand when heated and may be leaking out the breather.
Even after a proper drain and refill? Just double checking...

·
Registered
225 Posts
If it's still leaking, I doubt it's the output shaft seal. Clean the transmission where you park it, and let it sit. If it's leaking just sitting, without you having moved it after cleaning it, then it's leaking from somewhere below the fluid line. To get a dinner plate sized leak after it's shut down, I would guess your leak is below the fluid line.

I just split the case on my 345 transmission and resealed it for the same type of issue.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Too long didn't read version: IF I overfilled this unit, will the excess fluid blow out a seal and cause a perpetual leak?

I'm still trying to find the leak...

I don't know how you could possibly overfill the unit and cause a leak in the transaxle itself. Fluid in the reservoir sits above the high point of the transaxle - at least it does on my 2002 GX345.

·
Registered
493 Posts
JD, To answer you question:, NO, over filling should not cause a perpetual leak.

If your transaxle is not vented, you may have leakage while operating...due to the oil expanding and a seal is the least/lowest point of resistance. Once the oil cools, you should not have leakage...unless the seal is damaged but not from overfilling. Oil seals are rubber lipped and often contain a spring to hold them against the rotating shaft. With or without a spring, it will "seal" against the shaft with approx. a .010 preload. If a bearing wears or the shaft wears, this .010 preload can be "0" and the seal will leak. Debris can also find its way between the shaft and the seal and wear the seal so it no longer contacts the shaft.

I'm not familiar with the GX345, so these are just general instructions. The first thing you need to do is find out where it's leaking from. Clean the transaxle area as best you can. I don't know where/how you store your tractor, but you need to get it onto a clean surface or put a bunch of cardboard under it. Let it sit for a day or 2 and look for puddles/spots. If on the right or left, probably axle seal. If in the center front, input shaft seal. Otherwise, just look directly above the puddle and you should be able to find the source of the leak! Bob

·
Registered
81 Posts
Have you ruled out the inline filter as the source of the leak? It seems odd that the leak would stop if at the transaxle which would point to the hydraulic lines.

Your post states that you bought "a filter" did you change both?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Have you ruled out the inline filter as the source of the leak? It seems odd that the leak would stop if at the transaxle which would point to the hydraulic lines.

Your post states that you bought "a filter" did you change both?
I did not change the inline filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts