Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I have a 2004 GX345 with a Briggs and Stratton 724cc 27hp motor. There seems to be a significant oil leak from where the motor meets the PTO. I'm assuming there's probably an oil seal of some kind there. Has anybody had any experience replacing that seal? Or otherwise repairing this leak? Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
2,706 Posts
Since the GX345 should have a Kawasaki FD611V 20 hp engine, this must be a repower? Anyways, probably your crank case seal is leaking. You have to pull off the pulleys using a puller and then you should be able to get to the oil seal.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Since the GX345 should have a Kawasaki FD611V 20 hp engine, this must be a repower? Anyways, probably your crank case seal is leaking. You have to pull off the pulleys using a puller and then you should be able to get to the oil seal.
And you may have to pull the engine and split the case to replace it.I would see if you can find a breakdown of the engine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yessir it is. The Kawasaki ended up dying on us and it was recommended that we replace it with the air cooled B&S. In hindsight I'm not sure how good of an idea that really was haha! Thanks for the reply. So it's probably a crankshaft seal? How horrible is that to replace? I have quite a bit of experience with cars but I'm new to tractors!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yessir it is. The Kawasaki ended up dying on us and it was recommended that we replace it with the air cooled B&S. In hindsight I'm not sure how good of an idea that really was haha! Thanks for the reply. So it's probably a crankshaft seal? How horrible is that to replace? I have quite a bit of experience with cars but I'm new to tractors!

You can do it if you try.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Typically, remove the mower deck, PTO clutch & traction drive pulley from crankshaft, disconnect headlight wires, remove hood assembly, disconnect choke/throttle cable, disconnect and plug fuel line, mark with tape and disconnect wiring connectors to engine and starter, probably 4 bolts from engine base mounting.
Much easier than most cars you may have worked on. You should be able to lift the engine right out, but if you have a hoist or helper, do it the easy way. Save your back!
You might be able to remove and replace the seal without splitting the case. You can decide when the engine is safely on the bench.
How long has this engine been in the tractor? Was it new or used when installed? Briggs Vanguard, Intec, or other?

tommyhawk

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
No need to remove engine just for a crank seal. Remove deck. Remove PTO clutch. Take tension off of traction drive belt and remove pulley. Seal is right there. Just like removing one on an old school small block Chevy. Before removing, make a mental note as the depth of the seal in the housing. Tap in new seal.. Clean her up. Start, run and check.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Typically, remove the mower deck, PTO clutch & traction drive pulley from crankshaft, disconnect headlight wires, remove hood assembly, disconnect choke/throttle cable, disconnect and plug fuel line, mark with tape and disconnect wiring connectors to engine and starter, probably 4 bolts from engine base mounting.
Much easier than most cars you may have worked on. You should be able to lift the engine right out, but if you have a hoist or helper, do it the easy way. Save your back!
You might be able to remove and replace the seal without splitting the case. You can decide when the engine is safely on the bench.
How long has this engine been in the tractor? Was it new or used when installed? Briggs Vanguard, Intec, or other?

tommyhawk
Thanks! I've got the motor out and on the bench. Just waiting for the seal to arrive in the mail. The motor only has about 10 hours on it. It looks like it's the crank seal that's leaking. Lots of oil and gunk all,around the area.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No need to remove engine just for a crank seal. Remove deck. Remove PTO clutch. Take tension off of traction drive belt and remove pulley. Seal is right there. Just like removing one on an old school small block Chevy. Before removing, make a mental note as the depth of the seal in the housing. Tap in new seal.. Clean her up. Start, run and check.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Oh no! Well I just pulled the motor haha. At least this way I can clean it up a bit! New seal is on its way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts