Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just inherited a GX345 from my father in law. I don’t know much about it. Pretty dirty and has been setting at least a year.
Supposedly it ran when it was parked. It will crank and has spark but won’t run. A little shot of gas down the intake and it runs for a few seconds. I’m thinking fuel pump. Is this common? How difficult to change? I’m pretty handy with wrenches.
Any guess on what it’s worth running? She wants to sell but I’m may keep and sell my E130 instead. Thanks all.

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just inherited a GX345 from my father in law. I don’t know much about it. Pretty dirty and has been setting at least a year.
Supposedly it ran when it was parked. It will crank and has spark but won’t run. A little shot of gas down the intake and it runs for a few seconds. I’m thinking fuel pump. Is this common? How difficult to change? I’m pretty handy with wrenches.
Any guess on what it’s worth running? She wants to sell but I’m may keep and sell my E130 instead. Thanks all.
I would get rid of the E130 and keep the GX345. The 345 is a lot more tractor than the 130. I would take the float bowl off and clean it, make sure the float moves free. Then try to start it. My guess is bad gas’s from sitting or the carburetor needs a good cleaning. Not sure what it would be worth as that depends on the shape and hours but it appears to be a 2003 based on the serial number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,845 Posts
I just had this exact same problem with my D160. After playing with the carb for a bit it finally started up. This seems to be a common problem with gas with the ethanol in it. Had the same thing with 2 portable generators recently too.

I ordered a replacement carb for mine (should be here tomorrow).

You should be able to pull the fuel line at the carb, crank the engine a few times and see if it's getting fuel.

If that GX345 is otherwise in decent shape, it's worth more than your E130 was brand new. GX345's with similar hours are running in the $2500-$2800 range on machinefinder.com

·
Registered
61 Posts
There’s also a fuel solenoid on the carb. Take it off clean it good and work it in and out. The hold the wire against a positive battery and the switch itself to the negative of a good battery the plunger should move out.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Please be aware of gasoline fumes and sparks while you are testing. You might have ignition, but in the wrong place.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Kleiss1!, you need 3 things air, spark and fuel. Take the air filter off and shoot a little starting fluid in there and crank. That will tell you if you have spark and air if it pops off a little. Next, drain all the gas from the tank and the carb. Put about 1/2 gallon of FRESH gas back in tank and crank some more. If it doesn't start after multiple times cranking, you will need to pull the carb and clean/rebuild it.

P.S. Sell the E130 it's a tinker toy compared to the GX345.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It will run if I pour gas in the intake that’s why I was thinking fuel pump. I guess the time delay module controls electrical not fuel so I can rule that out. The machine is 200 miles away still so I’m collecting parts for the next trip to get it running so I can get it in my truck and bring it home.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
It will run if I pour gas in the intake that’s why I was thinking fuel pump. I guess the time delay module controls electrical not fuel so I can rule that out. The machine is 200 miles away still so I’m collecting parts for the next trip to get it running so I can get it in my truck and bring it home.
Could still be a gummed up carb. When you pour gas in the intake, all your doing is eliminating the carb out of the equation. I would haul it home and work on it at home rather than spend money on possibly unnecessary parts. My money is on bad gas and gummed up carb.

Pull the floor pan, it's a few bolts, and the fuel tank just sits there.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can get the fuel pump and carb solenoid on eBay and if I don’t need them I can always return for just a little postage.
May just replace fuel pump anyway. It’s only around $15. There’s no way I’m gonna load that thing unless it’s running.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The fuel pump on those are vacuum driven off the engine. Hence why they are so cheap. I would make sure you have fuel hose with you. If the vacuum line has a crack of mice chewed on it the pump wouldn’t work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The fuel pump on those are vacuum driven off the engine. Hence why they are so cheap. I would make sure you have fuel hose with you. If the vacuum line has a crack of mice chewed on it the pump wouldn’t work.

I am pretty sure that the 2003 fuel pump is mechanical and not vacuum driven. I thought they switched over in 2004 but could be wrong.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am pretty sure that the 2003 fuel pump is mechanical and not vacuum driven. I thought they switched over in 2004 but could be wrong.
Yes you are correct. They are mechanical.

·
Registered
81 Posts
As others have stated, my guess is a gummed up carb and/or fuel that needs to be replaced. If you do pull the fender deck to dump the fuel, the unit is past due for new fuel lines if they haven't been replaced. It's an easy job when the fender deck is off.

If it were me, I would dump the tank, replace the fuel lines, pull the carb float bowl and spray with carb cleaner. Add new fuel and try again. You might need to go further into the carb but I've "fixed" a number of engines that sat with old fuel by pulling the bowl and spray cleaning.

My $.02 if you do start swapping OEM parts with cheap Chinese replacements from eBay is to save the originals - there are a number of horror stories on these forums where the replacements fail to perform or don't last long.

As a GX345 owner, I also agree with the advice to keep it over your current tractor.

Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts