Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spend days looking to find an answer to my question and I'm having a difficult time. So if there's already a discussion on this please point me to it.

I have a 1025R with the H120 loader. One hydraulic cylinder went bad and they couldn't rebuild it so they it was not serviceable. Well a replacement is $625. The part number they gave me was AHC17721 for the cylinder. Since this is only used in light duty situations I started looking for an aftermarket cylinder or a pair of cylinders. But haven't found any. The best bet I've found is this place but I can't get the measurements since I don't have the part anymore. I think the dealer threw it away at this point. But if I could find the specs on line I could maybe match one up but can't find that anywhere either.

Any ideas or less expensive alternatives I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance...

Bill

·
Premium Member
13,911 Posts
I've never heard of any 3rd party cylinder that could be used on the loader. What was wrong with the original? The dealer threw it away?

It's possible that a real "hydraulics shop" could have repaired it.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
495 Posts
You will need to know all the specifications from your existing cylinders. You can fit generic cylinders but some modification will probably have to be done and the ports most likely will exit the top and bottom rather than the sides.

I mean no offense but given that you took it to a dealer for repair I am going to assume you are not up to the task of fitting generic cylinders. I have never found exact match generic cylinders for any loader.

I fitted cross cylinders from Magister on my loader but it was missing both curl cylinders when I bought it and I was already planning all new hoses.

Reactions: Minuteman17

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They claimed that it was very difficult to take apart and it was scored after they tried for 3 days to install the last retaining clip. They were never able to reassemble it. So they said it isn't serviceable and needs to be replaced. They said it would leak anyways because of the scoring. I just called them and they said they'll try to locate it. I won't hold my breath...

·
Premium Member
13,911 Posts
You will need to know all the specifications from your existing cylinders. You can fit generic cylinders but some modification will probably have to be done and the ports most likely will exit the top and bottom rather than the sides.

I mean no offense but given that you took it to a dealer for repair I am going to assume you are not up to the task of fitting generic cylinders. I have never found exact match generic cylinders for any loader.
I'm no hydraulic expert but I would also be willing to bet that even if a suitable substitute was found, it could not be used with it on one side and the OEM cylinder on the other. They would need to be used in pairs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I fitted cross cylinders from Magister on my loader but it was missing both curl cylinders when I bought it and I was already planning all new hoses.
No offense taken. I never rebuilt one and I just wanted to make sure it was done right.

·
Premium Member
13,911 Posts
They claimed that it was very difficult to take apart and it was scored after they tried for 3 days to install the last retaining clip. They were never able to reassemble it. So they said it isn't serviceable and needs to be replaced. They said it would leak anyways because of the scoring. I just called them and they said they'll try to locate it. I won't hold my breath...
I have a hunch they damaged it further during their disassembly and reassembly process. Places that specialize in rebuilding hydraulic cylinders can usually hone-out most surface scoring. They also have the ability to custom fit seals based on the dimensions of the rod and cylinder. There are 3rd party companies that specialize in replacement hydraulic seals and gland components.

Reactions: BWV and glc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That was my thought too. Because they said they had to use their lift to get it apart to start with. I thought that was a strange comment. If they locate it I'll take it to a hydraulic shop. I just figured JD has done a lot of these over time so no biggie..

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 8 year old H120 curl cylinders needed a rebuild as the bucket would drop relatively quickly. Took it to my dealer and they had a h*ll of a time getting them apart (I was there.) The cap at the top of the cylinder is extremely tight.

I'd be really surprised if there are any aftermarket cylinders available. These really are custom to the application. The volumes are low enough that the aftermarket isn't interested. Prices on some hydraulic stuff is eye-opening.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Why do these dealers even pretend to know something about cylinders. If you walk into the dealer here they will tell you immediately to go 7 miles up the road to the hydraulics shop.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Take it to a hydraulic shop next time. They could hone the cylinder and do a lot of other repairs to them. Cylinders are typically something you just don't "throw away", especially when you get to larger ones that can cost 10K or more.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've spend days looking to find an answer to my question and I'm having a difficult time. So if there's already a discussion on this please point me to it.

I have a 1025R with the H120 loader. One hydraulic cylinder went bad and they couldn't rebuild it so they it was not serviceable. Well a replacement is $625. The part number they gave me was AHC17721 for the cylinder. Since this is only used in light duty situations I started looking for an aftermarket cylinder or a pair of cylinders. But haven't found any. The best bet I've found is this place but I can't get the measurements since I don't have the part anymore. I think the dealer threw it away at this point. But if I could find the specs on line I could maybe match one up but can't find that anywhere either.

Any ideas or less expensive alternatives I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance...

Bill
I had one leak and took it to my local dealer they repaired it in a day cost $143.00 most of it was labor. Can not remember what the parts were but not much. Did a good job it`s been a year now no leaks.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Sounds like they didn't know what they were doing, and destroyed your 600$ cylinder..then tried to hide the mistake.
Dissasembly of these is not intuitive... I beleive you have to take off the end snap ring, then collapse the seal holder/bushing into the cylinder, remove an internal ring, and then can pull the assembly out.(I've seen some use hydraulic pressure to pop it apart once the internal ring is removed (very messy and dangerous))

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So they were able to locate it. I called JD to see if they'd meet me half way on a new cylinder and they said no. No surprise there.
So I picked it up and the rod had teeth marks in it and the cap looked beat to crap. I'm convinced they didn't know what they were doing and damaged it.
I dropped it off at a shop to see if it's salvageable at this point. My hopes aren't very high..

·
Registered
621 Posts
I'd seek some financial assistance from management at the dealership. That's horsepucky.

They need to know the cylinder is in worse shape than when you brought it there.
They should at the very least buy you a new rod and cap...which they destroyed.

If the hydraulic shop at all indicates that damage was done by improper work... it will help your case.

Document everything, every visit, every call, and take pictures of everything. Remain calm and civil, never yell or curse, but do not drop this... you had a leak, on a serviceable part.
Was it scored? Aside from the vise-grip marks, is it scored now?

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
10,752 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So the saga continues...
This hydraulic shop inspected the cylinder and said the barrel is scored and they can't reassemble it. They suspect poor care in disassembly. They want 700 to fix it up. Well a new one is 625 so no thanks.

But based on previous comments above I'm going to pick it up and take their write up back to JD and see if they'll replace the rod and cap at their cost. I'll buy a new barrel and the rebuild kit and split the labor with them. That sounds fair to me but again I don't count on them meeting me half way.

·
Premium Member
10,752 Posts
But based on previous comments above I'm going to pick it up and take their write up back to JD and see if they'll replace the rod and cap at their cost. I'll buy a new barrel and the rebuild kit and split the labor with them.
Whose labor? JD or the hydro shops?

After mucking up one, I wouldn't want them working on another one.

I'd make the offer to buy the new cylinder and have them deduct the cost of the rod and cap from the price.

Reactions: Minuteman17
1 - 20 of 28 Posts