Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been removing snow with my 1025 and H120 loader and have a question. I do not seem to be able to raise or lower the bucket while simultaneously curling or uncurling the bucket. Also the curl/uncurl movement is quite slow. On my previous tractor (orange), I could do this combined movement and the curl/uncurl was relatively fast and forceful enough to jar packed snow or dirt out of the bucket when dumping. Is the slow and single movement normal, or do I possibly have something wrong with my bucket control? The bucket with Edge Tamers works beautifully for my snow removal efforts on my gravel driveway, just wish the bucket responded to the movement commands quicker.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
How much throttle are you using? That is directly correlated to how fast the bucket moves. Also there is only one hydraulic pump on your tractor powering the hydro, power steering, and FEL so your FEL maybe challenges to do two things at once, quickly.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
I have The H120 on the 1026r . The bucket dumps plenty fast, I can slam/jar it to knock dirt out of it. Doing 2 things at once with it is tricky, and slow. I generally just do one function at time. I may not be the best operator as I seldom use the loader as I have a snow blower for snow removal. I haven't had my loader on the tractor since June.

·
Premium Member
13,112 Posts
The lift/lower + curl/dump limitation seems to be a JD thing. The speed of the dump/curl could be related to your engine speed. The faster the engine RPM the more flow you have. Rev it up to close to 3000 RPM and try it. Wiggling the stick back and forth should jiggle the bucket.

·
Registered
345 Posts
If you do a comparison of orange versus green you will see that is one of the functions where they differ. As stated earlier green is one or the other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
837 Posts
I can usually lift and curl at the same time or drop and curl at the same time. Maybe mine is just an anomaly but I know it works. Albeit slowly when I do both.

Reactions: PJR832 and 130Oxbow

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, seems to be a normal (JD) thing. I will make sure to throttle up when using the loader. I was hoping it was just a "touch" thing with the control that I had not yet developed. No biggee, just have to retrain myself on loader operation to do one function at a time. Thanks all for the replies.

·
Premium Member
9,369 Posts
I can usually lift and curl at the same time or drop and curl at the same time. Maybe mine is just an anomaly but I know it works. Albeit slowly when I do both.
I found the same thing as I highlighted in red in your comment.

Yea, it's kind of a "learned function of compromise" when doing both as it's not necessarily doing either real quickly. I noticed that when moving snow piles which was one of the reasons I was using the top of the loader to flip and roll big piles back and avoiding lifting them and dumping them unless I had no choice.

The flip and roll was much faster as I would start with the bucket tipped down and the top edge of the bucket up against the face of the snow pile about 12" or so above the ground. (I am talking snow piles which were 3' to 6' tall) roll the bucket up towards it's normal operating position while lifting it and driving forward into the pile. Back up and repeat. Then, any pile which was left could be scooped and dumped if necessary. Most time it wasn't necessary...........

It's important to be lifting and rolling forward at the same time while pushing into the pile. I took a video of the process to demonstrate the difference in speed and once I edit it and remove some identifying data, I can post it.

The driving into the pile, lifting it, dumping it and repeating it was driving me nuts because of the loader speed. It was necessity which forced me to try alternatives which when I found this approach to stacking and moving the big snow piles, it has worked well for me..............Like anything, try it carefully and work into it..........

I also found that I tend to plan all of the bucket or plow positioning moves while I am approaching the work area so when I reach the area, I have the loader or plow in the position to immediately start working. Same thing with backing away from the work area, re-position the plow or loader and get it ready to hit the pile ready to work when you reach it.

Plus the more you use the loader control, the much better feel you develop for it and make the operation so much more efficient. Like anything, it takes practice, practice, practice..........Then it becomes a muscle memory and you will be doing the loader operation and not even thinking about it.

Also, make sure to have the engine up to 2800 plus RPM"s for pump speed as others have commented. Otherwise, you can fall asleep waiting for the loader to fully cycle.......Its not THAT bad, it just seems like it.....Tractor's ground speed and loader speed are driven on pump speed, which is controlled by engine RPM.........

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I have found that the reduced speed of combined lift-curl or lower-dump have just made it faster to do them separately. A little practice and the sweet spot is able to be found to combine the functions.

I only really find it necessary to combine the movements when loading or unloading pallets out of my truck with my forks, not wanting to tip items off the pallet.

I have noticed a distinct loss of speed in loader function when I was out moving snow and it was 15 degrees F or less even if the machine was running a while.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Aren't the hydraulics open center? That means that when you operate two functions at once, fluid will take the path of least resistance and thus one function may not move at all until the other has hit a hard stop.

It's slower in cold weather due to the viscosity of the hydraulic oil. It heats up as you work it.

Al

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
I have found that "sweet spot" as well, but it would be nice to have a true multi-function valve at times, or a MSL FEL.

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
I have found that the reduced speed of combined lift-curl or lower-dump have just made it faster to do them separately. A little practice and the sweet spot is able to be found to combine the functions.

I only really find it necessary to combine the movements when loading or unloading pallets out of my truck with my forks, not wanting to tip items off the pallet.

I have noticed a distinct loss of speed in loader function when I was out moving snow and it was 15 degrees F or less even if the machine was running a while.
I agree Jeff, similar to my leak down I had, when I first realized how bad it was and talked to the dealer about it to when they actually made the repair we had gone from 60's to 20's. At that time the leak down was hardly noticeable due to the colder temps.

·
Registered
23,316 Posts
Coming to my compact tractor from running large loaders (heavy equipment) my first operation using the loader was very frustrating - I thought it was a joke!

But with some time and patience I got used to it. I don’t bother trying to do 2 functions at the same time - just got used to using one function at a time. Once you get a rhythm going with your particular task it works just fine. As said before - I do a lot of my bucket adjustments while on the move.

If I can get used to it anybody can!

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's slower in cold weather due to the viscosity of the hydraulic oil. It heats up as you work it.

Al
I think this is a big thing. if you're not running low viscosity hyguard or similar, it's not as easy. I swapped from a low vis to a regular this past year in the 1025r, and the difference is crazy. next fluid change, i'm going back.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I have found that "sweet spot" as well, but it would be nice to have a true multi-function valve at times, or a MSL FEL.
I would say it's more of a "cheat spot". Really isn't designed to do both functions at once. The reason you do both functions at once is to speed up operation. If the dual functions are slower, your speed gain is zero. My neighbors orange tractor works faster with dual functions so he has some speed gain. Not so fast now, I believe my:greentractorride:lifts faster.

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
I would say it's more of a "cheat spot". Really isn't designed to do both functions at once. The reason you do both functions at once is to speed up operation. If the dual functions are slower, your speed gain is zero. My neighbors orange tractor works faster with dual functions so he has some speed gain. Not so fast now, I believe my:greentractorride:lifts faster.
Never said I use it, just said I've found it before, usually not on purpose. I quite used to this now, what would be nice is mechanical self-level like on our 2555, that would be nice.

·
Registered
23,316 Posts
Never said I use it, just said I've found it before, usually not on purpose. I quite used to this now, what would be nice is mechanical self-level like on our 2555, that would be nice.
That was another thing that drove me nuts at first! Good thing I practiced some with an empty bucket first......

Reactions: PJR832

·
Premium Member
13,884 Posts
That was another thing that drove me nuts at first! Good thing I practiced some with an empty bucket first......
I did the same thing, what still gets me sometimes is if I'm using the 2555 and then jump on the little tractor.

Reactions: coaltrain
1 - 20 of 27 Posts