Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a wild hair, and swung by the South Beach to see the Ice progress.

Only had the I-Potato(Iphone) with me for pics, but got a couple.

The Fudgies are here year 'round now, and I couldn't believe how many of the idiots were out on the Ice.
Not a single in state Lisc. plate in the beach parking, and no locals would be out there....because we all learned as kids that it's a good way to end up dead.

It's not a backyard hockey pond, The immense force of heaves,and huge waves under the ice, make for razor thin ice in spots that cover frozen over air pockets, and "Chutes", that lead to water...and drowning the worst way possible.

Made for a pretty view from the bluffs though.:lol:

That clear spot where they are all standing, was open water in the lee of the pier, just a couple days ago when the Heaves broke everything up.
Drop through there, and you'll get stuffed up under the pier by the current, and held there, until the lake decides to spit you out in summer.;)

Looking southwest. Yep. The whole thing is just about Frozen, with LOTS of stacked heaves, and plenty thick.
It's gonna be a late, cool spring, and cool summer again.:yahoo:

·
Registered
322 Posts
very nice thanks for posting.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Interesting situation.

Our lake locals are getting guys with skidsteers to come fix ice damage to their riprap before the ice goes out. I wouldn't have any issue on our side, since the water isn't 5' deep 60-100' from shore, but on their side I'm not so sure.

We have a river feeding in and out of the lake too, but I don't know of any problems with thin spots.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Very cool pictures to look at! I guess if the goofballs fall through, hypothermia could get them before they drowned??

But interesting to see and hear your description. Thanks!!

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
Awesome pics - thanks for sharing!

This reminds me of last spring on Lake Erie - the ice breakers were working overtime into May or June I think trying to keep the shipping lanes open.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting situation.

Our lake locals are getting guys with skidsteers to come fix ice damage to their riprap before the ice goes out. I wouldn't have any issue on our side, since the water isn't 5' deep 60-100' from shore, but on their side I'm not so sure.

We have a river feeding in and out of the lake too, but I don't know of any problems with thin spots.
The thin spots all get formed with the Pancake Ice, after a good wind driven Heave.
Same thing that makes the "Caves" above the ice, near shore. Those "Caves" are Ice that has heaved up and out, with the "Chutes" intact.
They get splashed, and along with the snow makes for some really porous, weak ice over an insulated air pocket.

That smooth spot, is in the lee of the Pier from NW wind driven waves. The current right there, is northward in a counterclockwise swirl.
It gets busted up, freezes smooth, gets busted up from wind pressure and waves, and heaved, and happens again.
That is the LAST place I would wander, and you wont catch locals on it. It's where fools go through every couple years...we stay on the Pier and the stacked up stuff.

Near shore, it's just stacked ice sheets 6-8' thick like on your side, and the folks are shoring up the Rip Rap the same..if they can get access.

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Very interesting and great pictures. Thanks for sharing them with us.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
And when there is not ice, but wind, we hear of people that get washed off the pier. Not locals.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Those pictures are pretty good for a phone, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And when there is not ice, but wind, we hear of people that get washed off the pier. Not locals.
Yep.

This is from a couple years back.

Not many lately though. Maybe the word is getting out.
Last one washed up near Deer lick Creek in the Fall, and we are still waiting on the coroner and MSP to identify the person.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Yep.

This is from a couple years back.

Not many lately though. Maybe the word is getting out.
Last one washed up near Deer lick Creek in the Fall, and we are still waiting on the coroner and MSP to identify the person.
Is that the St. Joseph light house?

Here it is in ice.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425389479.378747.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Very cool pictures to look at! I guess if the goofballs fall through, hypothermia could get them before they drowned??

But interesting to see and hear your description. Thanks!!
If you go in that water and go under the ice - you're cooked. Lake Michigan has riptides and everything - for all intents and purposes it may as well be an ocean. Plenty of VERY large vessels have gone down in the Great Lakes.

Just GET in the water and you'll be incoherent in ~10 minutes of exposure. Water temp in Lake MI right now is 33 degrees.

If you go in, you better hope you get out immediately and start the warming process.

·
Registered
22,708 Posts
If you go in that water and go under the ice - you're cooked. Lake Michigan has riptides and everything - for all intents and purposes it may as well be an ocean. Plenty of VERY large vessels have gone down in the Great Lakes.

Just GET in the water and you'll be incoherent in ~10 minutes of exposure. Water temp in Lake MI right now is 33 degrees.

If you go in, you better hope you get out immediately and start the warming process.
Good way of putting it - the Great Lakes are more ocean like than a lake.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Good way of putting it - the Great Lakes are more ocean like than a lake.
My brother was a private pilot....In small, unpressurized planes the ceiling is something like 10K ft (and that's pushing it.) When flying over lake Michigan from MI to Wisconsin at Max. altitude, there is about 30 minutes of flight over the middle of the lake that if your engine dies, you don't have enough distance to glide to make it to land and you're going swimming. They are some MIGHTY big lakes. Lake Michigan is 118 miles wide by 307 miles long.

I've seen 20-30ft average seas (all waves that height) and 70+mph winds up on Lake Superior.....there have been reports of 50 ft waves. Superior is the largest lake in North America. Ask the crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald how bad it can get.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts