Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on this car for almost four years (not constantly) and it seems I always have something else that needs to be done . I finally had to make myself focus on this weekend to work on the car . I managed to get all the ground effects attached (had to drill a bunch of holes due to aftermarket parts) , got the wiper motor repaired and installed , put the H.O. air cleaner on with the new ducts . These are extremely rare , the last one I saw for sale complete was $850 . But I was most excited to get the hood put on and It lined up almost perfectly the first time . I almost have it to a point that it can be inspected and re-registered . I'm already thinking about what the next car project will be . :dunno:

005.JPG
Engine Bay ...

003.JPG
next to her sister (daily driver)...

007.JPG
daughter brought race Camaro for a visit and a bath !!!!

Later.....

·
Registered
913 Posts
My car guy days are long over. Now they're just 4 wheels to get my ass from one place to another. What is it? Early 80's? :unknown:

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are both 1984 Z28's . The rebuild is an H.O. which are a little rare at this point . It had a little higher output engine , 195 hp vs 165 hp (?) for the regular Z28 . This is the last year before they renamed them to IROC Z'S .
I bought the car from a kid who was going into the military . It was painted with some awful ghost flames and the original motor was long gone . I purchased the other car as a model to rebuild the H.O. , as it was like it came from the factory . :kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Back when I was in high school my best friend had a 77 camero and his brother had a 78 both blue. I miss those days.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Oh man. I miss my days of my camaros which really wasn't that long ago lol. I moved on to jacked up trucks to pull my work trailers but said one day I'll have my camaros back. Just wish I knew how to do engine work. That's what's stopping me. I've learned a lot over the years on vehicles so I can fix just about anything I need to just never tore down and engine or tranny. Never removed either either :(. I've also since worked hard enough the last ten years that I know prefer to pay someone to fix my vehicles as I love not having bloody knuckles lol

I've had
-92 25th anniversary rs. Polo green with gold striped and gold on the rims. Looked wayyyyy better than it sounds lol
-89 rs
-91 rs with t-tops
-91 z28 convertible

All had the 305 but the 89. I wrecked the 92 and a buddy helped me remove the 305 Had it rebuilt and painted and then removed the v6 from the 89. The 89 is when I learned everything! I barely knew how to change oil before the 89. After the 89 I knew mechanical, electrical, bondo, etc, etc lol

I'll try and find pictures when I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh man. I miss my days of my camaros which really wasn't that long ago lol. I moved on to jacked up trucks to pull my work trailers but said one day I'll have my camaros back. Just wish I knew how to do engine work. That's what's stopping me. I've learned a lot over the years on vehicles so I can fix just about anything I need to just never tore down and engine or tranny. Never removed either either :(. I've also since worked hard enough the last ten years that I know prefer to pay someone to fix my vehicles as I love not having bloody knuckles lol

I've had
-92 25th anniversary rs. Polo green with gold striped and gold on the rims. Looked wayyyyy better than it sounds lol
-89 rs
-91 rs with t-tops
-91 z28 convertible

All had the 305 but the 89. I wrecked the 92 and a buddy helped me remove the 305 Had it rebuilt and painted and then removed the v6 from the 89. The 89 is when I learned everything! I barely knew how to change oil before the 89. After the 89 I knew mechanical, electrical, bondo, etc, etc lol

I'll try and find pictures when I get a chance.
:munch::munch::munch:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,247 Posts
Way back when.
It's been so long, I'd have to dig up pics, scan & post. Maybe one day, but for now, here are some stock photos. Colors and styling are correct.

'69 RS. This one evolved into a 1/4 mile drag car.
1969_Camaro_RS_-W69HV-CH019.jpg

'80 Z28. This one was eventually turned into a drag car also. If I had the money I spent on these two cars, I could have retired years ago. :unknown:
ebay954517.jpg

'82 Berlinetta (wife's daily driver back then). No mods. She had the wheels & tires changed, and added a rear spoiler.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,247 Posts
I found these in an old auto picture album of mine. Wife had them put away in the back of the closet. The quality is not good. Most likely taken with a Kodak Instamatic 110. :laugh:

'69 RS (in drag strip attire)
Scan02.jpg

'80 Z28 (also in drag strip attire)
Scan03.jpg Scan04.jpg

'82 Berlinatta (dealer plate and temp tag). Taken before the wife had the wheels & tires changed, and the rear spoiler installed.
Scan01.jpg

I almost forgot about another Camaro I owned about 15 years ago. It was a '91.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I found these in an old auto picture album of mine. Wife had them put away in the back of the closet. The quality is not good. Most likely taken with a Kodak Instamatic 110.
Nice pics, nice cars!! :bigthumb:

Ya know its a good thing you found those pics to post so quick since being retired and all somebody might give ya a hard time about being too busy to look for them!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I found these in an old auto picture album of mine. Wife had them put away in the back of the closet. The quality is not good. Most likely taken with a Kodak Instamatic 110. :laugh:

'69 RS (in drag strip attire)
View attachment 404466

'80 Z28 (also in drag strip attire)
View attachment 404474 View attachment 404482

'82 Berlinatta (dealer plate and temp tag). Taken before the wife had the wheels & tires changed, and the rear spoiler installed.
View attachment 404490

I almost forgot about another Camaro I owned about 15 years ago. It was a '91.
Cool cars , and you are right , restoring is not a cheap endeavor !!!! Thanks for sharing . :bigthumb:

·
Registered
438 Posts
My best friend from high school bought a new 75 Camaro, which he sold in 78 to a neighbor who still has it. My friend then ordered/bought a new 78 Z28, with T tops, 4 speed and a 350...which he still owns. It has less than 10k miles on it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,247 Posts
Cool cars , and you are right , restoring is not a cheap endeavor !!!! Thanks for sharing . :bigthumb:

Yes, but I meant the $$ spent on setting them up for drag racing.

The time and $$ spent traveling to/from the tracks, hotels, fuel, maintenance, etc.......... is never recovered. We(wife & I) were young and had a great time doing it. We meet many nice people. I did learn a lot in those days. At some point, you have to decide on making it a career, or leaving it to days-gone-by. Having children had a lot to do with our decision to get out.

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, but I meant the $$ spent on setting them up for drag racing.

The time and $$ spent traveling to/from the tracks, hotels, fuel, maintenance, etc.......... is never recovered. We(wife & I) were young and had a great time doing it. We meet many nice people. I did learn a lot in those days. At some point, you have to decide on making it a career, or leaving it to days-gone-by. Having children had a lot to do with our decision to get out.
LOL , probably even more expensive . Things break a lot when racing ! :gizmo:

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I continued on with a few more things done to the car . I started putting in the new carpet , but I remembered that I had bought a new shifter and wanted it in before the carpet can go in , so I spent some time doing that . I took a while to figure out the logistics . The instructions call out to cut the cars wiring harness . I didn't want to do that for obvious reasons . So I will make some jumpers with male and female spade connectors on each end and wire it from there . I can then retain the ability to return to factory shifter . :cheers:

002 (2).JPG

old stuff ....

003 (2).JPG

new shifter ...

006 (2).JPG

007 (2).JPG

more to come , later ....

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update ...

Got my shop all dried out after the flood , so I took the long weekend to get the new carpet installed . My daughter took the console and replaced the carpet on the sides (I purchased a piece of like carpet when I bought the new carpet) . I had to cut out the original shift plate to allow for new plate . If I keep taking baby steps , it might get finished !!! :cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,387 Posts
Got my shop all dried out after the flood , so I took the long weekend to get the new carpet installed . My daughter took the console and replaced the carpet on the sides (I purchased a piece of like carpet when I bought the new carpet) . I had to cut out the original shift plate to allow for new plate . If I keep taking baby steps , it might get finished !!! :cheers:
Line lockers??????? Gotta have em you know......
View attachment 445594 my blast from the past! Way to much into this car to even start to post here and $$$$$$$ yes plenty of it.. Used to tow a 1/4 mile wheelstander with this at all pro racing events.. The car was beautiful and with 400 horses it went right along too, (needed to use aero fuel the compression was way to high for standard high test).... Unfortunately it wasn't a race car it was a road car but the lope at the lights told you not to fool around with it (the hood told you what was underneath was not stock).. That car would spin in a heartbeat if you got on it especially into second gear and it had a turbo 400 in it with a kit to hold the thing as long as you wanted to, it would break traction shifting into 3rd at 120 MPH! It was a Christmas present for my wife back in 78 and the car is a 75 but we changed everything including the frame and basically had a brand new 1975 corvette stingray.. Just sold the car with the original motor in a crate for a 2005 Crossfire roadster for her to drive.. Vette was way to loud with the side exhaust... and also way to powerful for a girl who has a lead foot! Back in the day "1960's" lots of Camaro's around and I was always a motor head and had hot cars, 78 formula 400 firebird, 400 horse turbo 400 hydro, 65 stage 1 grand sport with the 445 wildcat engine, 1969 442, 57 ford with a 292 rock crusher, had so many cars I can't remember them all even my grandmother had a 61 chevy impala with a 348! I inherited that back in 1969. Have fun with your car, I know you will... The vette was an 11-12 second car by the way... Major top end with this car had 33s in the rear :hi:

·
Premium Member
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Line lockers??????? Gotta have em you know......
View attachment 445594 my blast from the past! Way to much into this car to even start to post here and $$$$$$$ yes plenty of it.. Used to tow a 1/4 mile wheelstander with this at all pro racing events.. The car was beautiful and with 400 horses it went right along too, (needed to use aero fuel the compression was way to high for standard high test).... Unfortunately it wasn't a race car it was a road car but the lope at the lights told you not to fool around with it (the hood told you what was underneath was not stock).. That car would spin in a heartbeat if you got on it especially into second gear and it had a turbo 400 in it with a kit to hold the thing as long as you wanted to, it would break traction shifting into 3rd at 120 MPH! It was a Christmas present for my wife back in 78 and the car is a 75 but we changed everything including the frame and basically had a brand new 1975 corvette stingray.. Just sold the car with the original motor in a crate for a 2005 Crossfire roadster for her to drive.. Vette was way to loud with the side exhaust... and also way to powerful for a girl who has a lead foot! Back in the day "1960's" lots of Camaro's around and I was always a motor head and had hot cars, 78 formula 400 firebird, 400 horse turbo 400 hydro, 65 stage 1 grand sport with the 445 wildcat engine, 1969 442, 57 ford with a 292 rock crusher, had so many cars I can't remember them all even my grandmother had a 61 chevy impala with a 348! I inherited that back in 1969. Have fun with your car, I know you will... The vette was an 11-12 second car by the way... Major top end with this car had 33s in the rear :hi:
Line lockers ?? Oh yeah , got em !! This car should have 400 + on the dyno .
Very nice vette !!! Buddy at work has 78 that I want to buy if he would only sell !!!! lol :cheers:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts