Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the first thing I want to say is I use my backhoe for pretty much the toughest thing you can do with something this small, that being digging out very large stumps. Maybe “ripping out stumps” would be a better description as I have a BXpanded ripper tooth installed for that purpose. If I was just using the backhoe to dig holes in soil (like most normal people would do) I seriously doubt that I would have had this issue.

What I’ve found is that since the backhoe has more than enough power to drag the tractor (2025R classic) around, the pins that hold the stabilizers and stabilizer cylinders to the frame have bent,as well as egg shaped the mounting holes in the frame. See part #28 in the first picture. Knowing that at some point something far worse was going to happen if a pin actually snapped I decided I better do a field expedient repair using the stuff I have access to on my hunting property.

I took some 3x3” plates and drilled .750 “ holes in them which is the same size as the factory pin. Then I picked up some Double H hitch pins .750x4” to use in place of the OEM pin since I needed more length because of the installation of the fabricated plates. I clamped to plates in place with the longer pins installed and then welded them into place. My cheapo flux core welder actually needs more watts than my cheapo generator can deliver, but hey you do the best with what you have. I got it all done yesterday morning just before it began pouring rain so I didn’t have a chance to get the totally finished pics, but you’ll get the idea with what I have here. I had enough time to dig a few test holes and was happy with the results.

Hoping this might to useful to someone else someday as I’ve learned so many great tips from many of you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
Fantastic field repair. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
12,337 Posts
:bigthumb: great fix.

·
Premium Member
3,862 Posts
Great job now that it is fixed weld some harden collars on the outside then the pins wear out first. You can get them off ebay or a ACE Hardware would have them. Just don't over weld the collar to keep the hardness in most of it. Having a portable generator comes in handy too!

·
Registered
700 Posts
FYI OP, just so you know, JD specifically states in the manual not to use the backhoe to move the tractor around.

As someone who's used larger machines, I can definitely understand it's a hard habit to break. :laugh:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts