1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Administrator
20,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Around my place, it is celebrated as another good excuse to drink margaritas! :mocking:

edit: Yes, being on a border state, I knew the real reason, because it is often called Mexican Independence Day, as well as Cinco de Mayo. Now pass the salt and lime.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Around my place, it is celebrated as another good excuse to drink margaritas! :mocking: edit: Yes, being on a border state, I knew the real reason, because it is often called Mexican Independence Day, as well as Cinco de Mayo. Now pass the salt and lime.
I'll be making Taco Salad with Tequila Sunrises. Don't like lemon/lime, so I will pass the salt and lime (and Margaritas) :laugh:

Edit: Tequita? Typo for a banana liqueur version? :lol:

·
8,558 Posts
I'll be making Taco Salad with Tequita Sunrises. Don't like lemon/lime, so I will pass the salt and lime (and Margaritas) :laugh:
That's OK, I'll drink your share! I'm even making margarita jello shooters! :good2:

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
Great, with all this rain we really need another reason to drink excessively :bigbeer: :lol:

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Great, with all this rain we really need another reason to drink excessively :bigbeer: :lol:
Who needs a reason? :dunno: As far as I'm concerned, every day is Cinco de Mayo! :bigbeer:

·
Registered
21,239 Posts
I had no idea what Cinco de Mayo was so I looked it up this morning.

So OK - why do people in the US celebrate this?

commemorate the Mexican Army's victory over the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla, on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza.

·
Administrator
20,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I think this is the reason...
Who needs a reason? :dunno: As far as I'm concerned, every day is Cinco de Mayo! :bigbeer:

BTW, I did post a link in the first post....

·
8,558 Posts

Texas is a border state, and some regions of Texas have a lot of people of Mexican descent.

(That's the best I could do without taking a risk of getting this thrown into the "political" forum.)

edit: Diane beat me to the explanation! Uno mas cerveza, por favor.

·
Registered
616 Posts
The melting pot that is America has many international holidays that we like to celebrate, but note it is really the ones where drinking alcohol is popular are the ones most celebrated. Think St.. Patricks Day and Cinco de Mayo, but there is also Chinese New Year and Columbus Day (especially cultural in the NYC area), and so on. One of the beautiful aspects of our country!

·
8,558 Posts
What, no love for "May the Fourth"?

Note: I'm not a trekkie, my in-laws are...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I thought that was Star Wars. But after truly being disappointed by the original Star Wars, when seeing the "strings/wires" the models were being suspended by, I never got into the excitement of it all. Oh sure, special effects have come a LONG way since then, but I thought the hoopla over the first one led to a let down.

Star Trek was made for TV, so one could more easily overlook the poor acting and cheesy effects in some of those episodes.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I thought that was Star Wars. But after truly being disappointed by the original Star Wars, when seeing the "strings/wires" the models were being suspended by, I never got into the excitement of it all. Oh sure, special effects have come a LONG way since then, but I thought the hoopla over the first one led to a let down.

Star Trek was made for TV, so one could more easily overlook the poor acting and cheesy effects in some of those episodes.
Strings?
Wires?
Effects?
What's next? You gonna tell me South Park is nothing but cartoon carachters?

·
8,558 Posts
Strings?
Wires?
Effects?
What's next? You gonna tell me South Park is nothing but cartoon carachters?
But should you be able to see those in the movie? Some movies that are much older did a better job of hiding the prop suspensions.

Can't tell you about South Park. I got rid of a TV a long time ago, and I've never seen the show. :hide:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts