Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is early, but I wanted to post it while it was in my mind.

If you still have your mother, be sure to hug her and tell her that you love her.

Senior GTT Super Slacker
We are going to make dinner tomorrow, pack it all up and go to my mother's to eat it with her, I'll give her a hug while we are there. :thumbup1gif:

Premium Member
I'll be taking Mom out to breakfast. She is already planning her meal choice.

Chief Stick-picker-upper
On my way to Texas, I'll stop at Outback Stake House to meet with my Mom, my sister, B-I-L and niece for lunch. Wife and I bought her a gift for her special day.

Happy Mother's Day to all you Mom-mas out there,
:bigthumb:

Premium Member
When I told my wife I Would be her servant for the weekend for a Mother's Day gift I don't think I realized the potential of this little woman. I'm bagged and there is a couple hours to sundown!

Premium Member
Happy Mother's day to all .

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Happy Mothers Day to all the gals here. With that said I may have the best wife around, I got her a battery powered dewalt grease gun and she loved it......:good2:
:good2:

:lol:

Super Moderator

Super Moderator
Am I an open book? :lol:
Had second thoughts about my first response so I changed it.

Yes. You're an open book and a loose cannon.:laugh:

Premium Member
I know this is early, but I wanted to post it while it was in my mind.

If you still have your mother, be sure to hug her and tell her that you love her.
My mother was probably the most important person in my life. Sadly, I lost her in 1987 when she was only 48 years old. It will be 29 years this November that she has been gone. It's hard to imagine it's been that long already.

I have a "2nd mother" who is especially dear to me, but in reality, she is the wife of the guy who taught me the bakery business when I was young and growing up. This couple is especially close to me and has been for almost 40 years.

I began working nights in the bakery with this gentleman when I was 15 years old. I worked Sunday night through Friday night from 2am until 7am. Sometimes in the winter, we would start a little later, like 2:45am, but I had to be out of there by 7am as I had to be home, shower and change and be to school by 8am.

This couple had 3 daughters, who were one year, three years and five years younger than me. These three are like my little sisters. Sadly, their middle daughter took her own life when she was 21. When I was 19 yeas old, I started my own very small bakery after years of working nights with this great guy. Since I knew all of the inner workings of the business, I had a gentleman's agreement with this couple to not open my business where I would compete, so I moved 60 miles north. It was 5 years after I had started my business in this other town when the couple who taught me the bakery business lost their middle daughter to suicide.

The day their middle daughter took her own life, their younger daughter was going to college in the town where I now lived and operated my business (it was somewhat by design that each of their daughters went to college in this same town so their "big brother" would be there for them and keep and eye and help them.) I went to the college and picked up the youngest daughter and drove her home to her parents house.

The death of their middle daughter simply devastated this family. It has now been 29 years (she died on April 1st) and this still is very tough for the parents to even talk about. I went to the local cemetery and picked out several plot choices for this couple to choose from for their daughter. They picked a single lot, which was occupied on both sides by other families. But there were 6 plots immediately behind this single plot available. I asked the parents if they wanted these 6 plots so they could have a family plot and they said "No", but they were so distraught and unable to deal with life, I certainly understand why they didn't want to think about these plots at the time.

I was so concerned that they would later regret their choice to not buy these 6 adjoining plots, that I bought them, just in case they would later change their mind. This cemetery was nearly sold out at the time and the township was building a new cemetery in another location. Now, at the time, if you were a township resident, you could buy the plots for $50 each, but if you were not a township resident, the price was $400 per plot. But I bought them anyway as my mother was terminally ill at the time. I was not a resident, since I lived 60 miles away.

By August of that year, it was clear that my mother would not survive her battle with cancer. On my mom's 48th birthday, she asked me to have her released from the hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan where she had spent 14 to 18 days each month, for the prior 15 months, receiving treatments. She made the decision on her birthday that she wanted a DNR order signed and she wanted to go home. Ironically, the physicians treating her at the hospital wouldn't certify her eligible for hospice care. This significantly complicated things so my personal physician, Dr. Wilson, who was a tremendous guy and great friend, took over her case and certified her eligible for Hospice care that day when we moved her home.

On the 1st of September that year, Dr. Wilson reviewed my mom's files and told me, "The hospital will want to do this treatment and that treatment but the truth is, your mom will likely not see Christmas. In fact, she may not make it to Thanksgiving. It's more important that you focus on the QUALITY of her life than the QUANTITY of her remaining time". So we moved her to her home and arranged for a nursing shift to come in from 11 pm to 7 am each day and otherwise, we took care of her. We had to give her injections and shots, change I.V. bags and all of the other stuff which accompanies the end of life care.

My mother died at home at 3:14 a.m. on November 29th that year, shortly after the Thanksgiving holiday and just after Mrs. Bear and I had celebrated our 3rd anniversary. I was with her when she took her last breaths and she exited this life. It is something I will never forget. While it wasn't like it is portrayed on TV and the movies, I am glad I was there with her.

My mother is buried right behind my friends daughter. The couple who I consider my "2nd parents" said they felt better having my mom buried adjoining their daughter. Ironically, my mother's best friend was also terminally ill with breast cancer when my mom died. My mom died from Colon cancer. As I was visiting with my mom's best friend, I asked her if there was anything I could do for her and she asked me this, "Is there anyway I can be buried by your mom? I would love to be next to her."

Well, in order to have my mom near my friends daughter, my mom was buried at the south end of the 6 plots I had purchased. Traditionally, wives are buried to the right side of the headstone when facing it and husbands to the left, so this should have meant that my mom would have been buried in the last plot to the right, when facing the headstones. So I went out to the cemetery and talked with them about the plots. The guy in charge of the cemetery and I walked out to my mom's headstone and he took a 6 foot long steel rod and pounded it into the ground on the plot where my mom was supposed to be buried. It turned out that my mom was buried during a very heavy snowstorm and they had accidentally buried her with one empty plot to her right, which is EXACTLY what was necessary in order for my mothers best friend to be able to be buried next to my mother. Of all the possible errors, this one provided a GREAT OPPORTUNITY for my mother to have her life long best friend buried right next to her. I couldn't believe it.

The cemetery moved my mom's headstone over one plot and they re-poured the footing for the headstone and reset it. Three months later, my mom's best friend was laid to rest next to my mother and the two of them are immediately behind Kelley, my friends daughter. So visits to the cemetery find three very special women all together, three who each had a very profound impact on my life.

Premium Member
We are going to make dinner tomorrow, pack it all up and go to my mother's to eat it with her, I'll give her a hug while we are there. :thumbup1gif:
Give her two.......and anything else she want's. Mother's are precious and it's amazing how much we miss them when they are gone.

Senior GTT Super Slacker
Had second thoughts about my first response so I changed it.

Yes. You're an open book and a loose cannon.:laugh:
Did you think this before or after you became a moderator? :lolol:

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
Did you think this before or after you became a moderator? :lolol:
Frank's been sitting on this one, waiting for the right opportunity.:laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts