Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that it’s officially Spring, what projects do you all have lined up for your John Deere tractors? My first order of business is to get the front 366 blade off and reattach the loader and backhoe. Spring cleanup of the Homestead property is top of my list including picking up all the downed branches and debris, then filling in areas that washed out or pooled water with fresh topsoil, thatching, and overseeding and fertilizing. Then of course back to finish the construction of the wall. I need to add a channel drain at the bottom of the driveway and dig a trench to run a pipe off into the back to keep the erosion down. I also need to dig out a bunch of stumps from last year and regrade the entire area that was cleared of trees and seed a lawn there. What does your tractor to-do list look like?
Sincerely

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well this thread didn't turn out like I thought it would...… :dunno: I guess all your tractors are parked and you have no plans to use them for Spring projects...... :confused:

Sincerely

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Well this thread didn't turn out like I thought it would...… :dunno: I guess all your tractors are parked and you have no plans to use them for Spring projects...... :confused:

Sincerely
Since it turned warm,, I have been too busy with projects to take many pics,,:flag_of_truce:

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Sorry Joe, some of us still have 2' of snow and frozen ground.:banghead:

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
List so far..
- Order and spread some recycled asphalt
- Plant grass seed next to concrete wall I just stacked
- Unclog ALL my damn gutters
- Plant some grass on the side of the house that doesn't get much sun.
- Till deer food plot for Summer Sunn Hemp
- Till and prep Garden
- Spread mulch

I'm sure my wife will add to my list, but this is what I can come up with at the moment.

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Sorry Joe, some of us still have 2' of snow and frozen ground.
Hey I was just asking; What are your plans for using your tractor? I just got back from a long weekend snowmobiling trip up in Island Pond VT. They had a fresh 18"-22" drop on them Fri-Sat.....on top of the 48" that is still on the ground..... needless to say, I never saw a spec of dirt the entire trip..... just snow... I returned home yesterday to 50 degree temps.... The snow can stay in VT as far as I am concerned....

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Registered
11,694 Posts
:dunno:too wet here at my place to even go onto my swamp of a yard. some day i'dl like to lay pipe and drain it.:lol:

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Hey I was just asking; What are your plans for using your tractor? I just got back from a long weekend snowmobiling trip up in Island Pond VT. They had a fresh 18"-22" drop on them Fri-Sat.....on top of the 48" that is still on the ground..... needless to say, I never saw a spec of dirt the entire trip..... just snow... I returned home yesterday to 50 degree temps.... The snow can stay in VT as far as I am concerned....

Sincerely
BRRRRR! I kept looking for Robert Redford and Will Geer to ride up in their bearskin coats and shoot a grizzly!

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
Figures, the person driving the "Orange Tractor" is using a snow blower and looks like burying some of the customers vehicles......Geez. a Deere operator would have pushed the snow the edge of the parking lot and THEN used a snow blower to give the snow the old "Heave Ho".........

:laugh::lol:

Spring Projects to perform with the tractor.......

- Prepare a neighbors yard for seeding.
- Spread about 15 yards of top soil.
- Spread crushed concrete with box blade and FEL to create a walking path that is about 900 feet long and probably 8' wide
- Clean up downed limbs (large ones...)
- Move a bunch of brush and get ready to burn it
- Core aerate about 6 lawns each about 1 acre of grass or more.
- Replace all of the neighborhood street signs, which involves pulling the old signs out of the ground with the FEL
- Spread Fertilizer on about 8 acres of lawns
- Thatch about the same lawns BEFORE spreading fertilizer and Core Aerating (list isn't in order...)
- Haul and spread about 10 yards of landscape stone

Then during the second week........

·
Super Moderator
7,889 Posts
When things dry out........

Dethatch the yard
Core aeration
Over-seeding
Dig out 7-8 large stumps
Renovate an area that has settled and hopefully move enough topsoil around to smooth things out. Prep for seeding.
Bring in some trap rock to fill the drainage area along the driveway that’s settled
Spray fertilize the property
Start mowing
Ride the motorcycle some...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
4,850 Posts
I've got tree limbs and small branches down all over the property. Those will all get rounded up and fed through the chipper once the snow is gone and the ground firms up. Then to get the lawn all raked out before putting grass seed and fertilizer down.

Once things really warm up and dry out and need to relocate a shed and then move my chicken coop/run and level that area out. I'm replacing the current run with two greenhouse type structures and a new coop that will connect them. That whole project will require 12-14 yards of loam be brought in to level things out so the bucket and back blade will be getting a good work out.

Then once summer sets in I need to dig out the mud between my garage and stone wall (roughly a 12' x 35' area) down to solid ground and fill the area with gravel.

Between those little projects and the usual gardening chores, the tractor should get a decent work out before I get it ready for snow duty again.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Summer time in Alberta

Well it finally got up to +10C (+50F). Sure beats the -40 we had for the last month and a half!! (-40C is -40F). Around here it seems summer only lasts a
couple of months so we have to enjoy it.:canada:cheers:

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
List so far..
- Order and spread some recycled asphalt
- Plant grass seed next to concrete wall I just stacked
- Unclog ALL my damn gutters
- Plant some grass on the side of the house that doesn't get much sun.
- Till deer food plot for Summer Sunn Hemp
- Till and prep Garden
- Spread mulch

I'm sure my wife will add to my list, but this is what I can come up with at the moment.
That's a great starter list! I finally got those BadAss Brush Guards you made me fitted to my tractor. They look GREAT!!! I'm planning to purchase some chrome plated hardware to install them permanently. Hopefully by this weekend I will have that done! Thanks again for supplying them.

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Figures, the person driving the "Orange Tractor" is using a snow blower and looks like burying some of the customers vehicles......Geez. a Deere operator would have pushed the snow the edge of the parking lot and THEN used a snow blower to give the snow the old "Heave Ho".........

:laugh::lol:

Spring Projects to perform with the tractor.......

- Prepare a neighbors yard for seeding.
- Spread about 15 yards of top soil.
- Spread crushed concrete with box blade and FEL to create a walking path that is about 900 feet long and probably 8' wide
- Clean up downed limbs (large ones...)
- Move a bunch of brush and get ready to burn it
- Core aerate about 6 lawns each about 1 acre of grass or more.
- Replace all of the neighborhood street signs, which involves pulling the old signs out of the ground with the FEL
- Spread Fertilizer on about 8 acres of lawns
- Thatch about the same lawns BEFORE spreading fertilizer and Core Aerating (list isn't in order...)
- Haul and spread about 10 yards of landscape stone

Then during the second week........
The blower is actually pointed straight forward in that photo.... I was watching him clear the lot and he wasn't blowing snow onto anyone's vehicles.... That wouldn't go over too well if he did!
Wow, that's quite a list of things you have planned for your tractor... Gonna give a lot of the forum readers tractor-envy when you start posting photos of all that work! Good luck!

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When things dry out........

Dethatch the yard
Core aeration
Over-seeding
Dig out 7-8 large stumps
Renovate an area that has settled and hopefully move enough topsoil around to smooth things out. Prep for seeding.
Bring in some trap rock to fill the drainage area along the driveway that’s settled
Spray fertilize the property
Start mowing
Ride the motorcycle some...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your property must be starting to dry out this week. Finally no snow or rain in the near-term forecast.... See if you can capture some of that stump removal work on video.... lots of readers would love to see that action I 'm sure!

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've got tree limbs and small branches down all over the property. Those will all get rounded up and fed through the chipper once the snow is gone and the ground firms up. Then to get the lawn all raked out before putting grass seed and fertilizer down.

Once things really warm up and dry out and need to relocate a shed and then move my chicken coop/run and level that area out. I'm replacing the current run with two greenhouse type structures and a new coop that will connect them. That whole project will require 12-14 yards of loam be brought in to level things out so the bucket and back blade will be getting a good work out.

Then once summer sets in I need to dig out the mud between my garage and stone wall (roughly a 12' x 35' area) down to solid ground and fill the area with gravel.

Between those little projects and the usual gardening chores, the tractor should get a decent work out before I get it ready for snow duty again.
I want a chipper so badly.... looking at the MX-9900 real hard... I called Woodmaxx and put my name on the waiting list.... They said they're about 8 weeks out for lead-time. It will be decision time when they call in 8 weeks! Are you planning to move the shed and the chicken coop using your tractor?

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
1,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it finally got up to +10C (+50F). Sure beats the -40 we had for the last month and a half!! (-40C is -40F). Around here it seems summer only lasts a
couple of months so we have to enjoy it.:canada:cheers:
Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... Does your diesel fuel gel up there?

Sincerely

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I want a chipper so badly.... looking at the MX-9900 real hard... I called Woodmaxx and put my name on the waiting list.... They said they're about 8 weeks out for lead-time. It will be decision time when they call in 8 weeks! Are you planning to move the shed and the chicken coop using your tractor?

Sincerely
Just get it. It's only money. :gizmo:

Seeing your pics and videos, I think you'd get a ton of use out of it.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Winter is an intermittent thing down here in NC. When I lived in Buffalo and Albany the seasons were July, Aug and Winter. :laugh:

So the Tractor stays busy whenever needed. Now chipping downed trees. Next- spreading foundation stone and stone along the driveway.
Tree planting soon. Need to change the Engine oil, as running at PTO speed while chipping for hrs takes a toll on the oil IMHO.

Your brush guards look great. I had a similar setup and still took a stick into the grill. So I retrofitted with punched plate for the front of the Radiator

Chipper will pay for themselves IMHO. And retain resale value. 8-10 yr old chipper will have a resale market of 1500-1800$ I'm seeing those prices on CL, and they don't stay posted for long!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts