1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
Ouch is right!

·
Super Moderator
5,284 Posts
That's an awful clean tear and right alongside the weld. Looks like the welding job they did on that may have weakened the neighboring surface area.

Bummer.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Those are not designed to hold the weight of the tractor.
I do not believe the John Deere iMatch would have held up any better.

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
True, but the OP mentioned that he simply reversed and the blade contacted the ground. That shouldn't put that much stress on the top hook.

I have a Land Pride Quick Hitch with rear blade and do all of my plowing by pushing in reverse.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Give the I-match a try. I've got one and it seems very well made.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts
Ouch. Haven't seen that before, but not terribly surprised...
Really, with your record? :lol:

Sure glad I have a small tractor cause I have the same hitch.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Meh.....I'd probably just cut it off w/my angle grinder/cutting wheel, weld it back into position, gusset the sides with some 1/4" stock triangles and extra material and call it a day. You could probably

That's the nice thing about steel - it can almost ALWAYS be fixed.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The iMatch is double thickness where this one tore. I do not baby my equipment but I don't abuse it either. I had just dragged a pile of snow with the blade and then reversed over it to use the loader to finish pushing it off. It couldn't have been more than a foot high. I didn't lift the blade high enough and when the front tires went up on the snow it dug in and ripped the hook off. It could have been damaged earlier, but I rarely push anything with the 3 point and if I do it's very light.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,043 Posts
The iMatch is double thickness where this one tore. I do not baby my equipment but I don't abuse it either. I had just dragged a pile of snow with the blade and then reversed over it to use the loader to finish pushing it off. It couldn't have been more than a foot high. I didn't lift the blade high enough and when the front tires went up on the snow it dug in and ripped the hook off. It could have been damaged earlier, but I rarely push anything with the 3 point and if I do it's very light.
:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I'm betting that a crack had formed from repeated fatigue and whatever you were doing was just the last straw.

Reactions: ColonyPark and JimR

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think the HFT is a copy of the Speeco design, but I don't know how it compares in quality. My dad has an iMatch and it's clearly a better built hitch when you compare them side by side. The HFT was really loose even when new, the pins are the wrong size, the latches suck. I had noticed the hooks have been bending open over time, I think the steel is too soft. I'll admit to hanging a chain over the top hook and using it to lift and pull stuff. The chain would actually leave deep grooves in the hook. When I get a new one I'll weld some chain hooks on it. I'll probably do a quick fix on this one so i can use it tomorrow, but it will be getting replaced.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
They have a Speeco type 2 at a local store and I didn't buy it when it went on sale for $250. I'm wondering if that was a mistake.

Then again, I can make one just as well, or better.

·
Premium Member
13,002 Posts
How does the Speeco measure up to the imatch?
Not to get off subject. But speaking of Quick Hitch robustness. I have both a newer style JD iMatch and a Land Pride QH15. The Land Pride seems to be built better than the JD. While reverse plowing snow with a 5-foot rear blade I noticed the JD iMatch flexes side to side like a wet noodle. The flex is very obvious. I removed the iMatch and reinstalled the Land Pride hitch and the rear blade is now much more solid.

Needless to say I was a bit surprised by my findings.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Seems counter-productive to have a quick hitch and need to remove it to do heavy work.

The Speeco looked to be well built. The reason I didn't grab it was the top hook height is only 16" when the type 2 is supposed to be 24. That's a big difference in leverage.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts