Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so last weekend I had the unfortunate realization that I have owned my 1025 for 3.5 years. I realized this as it began to stall out while I was mowing. I couldn't figure out what in the world was going on. Was extremely frustrated thinking that my Deere was dying on me. Immediately thought of the worst case scenario. Well, it was shortly after I decided to park it and give up on mowing that I came in and looked at my maintenance records and realized that I had missed the part in the maintenance schedule that mentioned to change the fuel filters yearly or every 400 hours. So I had never changed the filters in 3.5 years.

After a trip to the dealer on Monday and changing the fuel filters Tuesday, the tractor runs much better, but it has a hard time starting. Not a rough start like when it is cold, but when it has sat for a while, the first time I crank the starter, it fires then snorts and bucks once or twice then dies. The second time I crank it, fires off immediately smoothly and evenly just like the day I got it. Once it is has been started it fires off no issues so it definitely seems to be an issue with something bleeding down maybe? I thought maybe running it for a few days would clear this up, like maybe there was an air pocket in the lines, but it doesn't seem to have made any improvement. Is there anything I am missing with the fuel filter change procedure that might cause this? I had no issues changing the fuel filters, the bowl filled right up when I turned the key on. I ran through about 5-10 key on cycles before I attempted to start it after changing filters.

Any thoughts? Is this just something I'm going to have to get used to?

Jeff

·
Administrator
20,906 Posts
I suspect you have an air leak somewhere. Diesel fuel systems are tricky in this matter. You can have an air leak under vacuum (like I believe you do) but it won't leak fuel under pressure. I've had this issue many times. Check the parts you've changed, especially the connections and o-ring seal on the separator.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suspect you have an air leak somewhere. Diesel fuel systems are tricky in this matter. You can have an air leak under vacuum (like I believe you do) but it won't leak fuel under pressure. I've had this issue many times. Check the parts you've changed, especially the connections and o-ring seal on the separator.
Thanks diesel. I'll give them a once over again this morning.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Did you change the in-line fuel filter under the left floor board also? I have found this in-line fuel filter to cause more issues than the main cartridge filter.
If you didn't change the in-line filter, definitely do that first.
BTW....it is a pain to change!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes sir, Ray, definitely changed them both. The inline filter looked like it was the culprit. The cartridge filter looked almost like new. Lots of sediment in the inline filter. Looks like it was doing its job. I didn't have too much trouble with the inline filter. Other than the backhoe sub frame being a little in the way. Only took about 5 minutes.

Hopefully re-seating everything will do the trick. I cleaned the o-ring on the sediment bowl and re-seated the clamps on the inline filter. Have to let it sit for a while to see if that will get it. I'll try it throughout this week and see what happens.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Good luck with your fix.

Don't feel too bad about the fuel filter, I just bought some Wix fuel filters so that I can replace the original filter on one of my tractors...that's 36 years old. :lol:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like that might have been it. I let it sit for about 6 hours and when I went to fire it off, she lit right off, just like new. So glad that was it. It had gotten to where it was rough starting and I don't know why I never thought of the fuel filter. Looks like I have something to keep an eye on for next year!

Jeff

·
Registered
572 Posts
Looks like that might have been it. I let it sit for about 6 hours and when I went to fire it off, she lit right off, just like new. So glad that was it. It had gotten to where it was rough starting and I don't know why I never thought of the fuel filter. Looks like I have something to keep an eye on for next year!

Jeff
Thanks to both of you for sharing. I've learned something new today and it's not even lunch time!

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, just wanted to close this out.

After sitting for the past 5 days, I went out to the garage after work this evening and gave the ol' girl a crank. She once again fired right off with a little black puff just like when she was new!

So looks like the fuel filters were the issue I had with the stalling and had a bleed down/air issue that was corrected by either cleaning/re-seating the connections and/or running it hard (mowing) for a little while.

Thanks to all for the help!

Jeff

1 - 9 of 9 Posts