Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else with a 5E have trouble getting at the grease fittings on top of the rearend? The 2 inner ones. The one on the right side is under the hydraulic lines, and the one on the left side is under the fuel tank. I can get a 90* coupler adapter on the one on the right side even though I don't think it's pushing much grease into it as much escapes around it, but the left side fitting isn't having it. It's just stuck under the fuel tank too tightly. It's a 2018 model so it has a larger fuel tank so maybe it's harder to get at than earlier models but IDK.

Maybe angled grease fittings is the solution?

Here's a picture of the one on the right side. I thought I took a picture of the left side as well but IDK. It seems to have disappeared off my phone.
20180530_174603-1328x747.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
I'm having a hard time seeing the orientation of the grease fitting in your photo.

Are you using a 90-degree adapter like this one? If so, they can leak if not completely snapped in place. You can tell if it is snapped in place because then it is almost impossible to remove. :-(

90.jpg

Do you have enough access to simply replace the existing zerk with either a 90 or 45-degree zerk? if so, that might be the best solution. I've been replacing impossible zerks left and right with ones which allow easier access. It sure saves headaches.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I have the LockNLube 90* coupler designed like that with the grease fitting on the end. I think that it's leaking because you have to angle it down so much to get it on the fitting and there's not enough room to really lift it up much. Like I said it's so nested in there tight on the left side that I can't even get this couple on it.

I think 90* or possibly 45* fittings might be the best solution but like you said getting in there to change them will be very hard to do and it might still be hard to get a coupler on but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I’d check with your dealer to see if they have a solution.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
That's not a grease fitting. It's a bleed valve and it should have a plastic cap. The axle grease fittings are at the wheel end of the axle housing.

Bleed Valve.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,403 Posts
That's not a grease fitting. It's a bleed valve and it should have a plastic cap. The axle grease fittings are at the wheel end of the axle housing.

View attachment 631618
That explains why I couldn't quite make out a zerk fitting in the photo.

·
Registered
316 Posts
:lolol:

I did that once in my younger days on a brake bleeder valve.
Pumped the heck out of that thing. Dad laughed his a$$ off.

·
Premium Member
7,396 Posts

View attachment 631618
Oxpath beat me to the post. My 2030 also has the brake bleeders, same place.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts