Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The wife and I are starting to talk about another bike after a 5 year hiatus. The last bike I owned was a Yamaha FZ1 on which I just got into to much trouble so I am thinking more of a cruiser. The street glide seems like a very nice bike and I had my heart set on a 103CI version. Looking today the salesman made a comment that the used 103s sit a little longer as everyone is looking for the 96ci bikes.

Other than the cubic inches, what's the difference? Is one preferred over the other?

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
PS,

The StreetGlide isn't a good choice for two-up riding as it's lowered and doesn't have much suspension travel to begin with. Your better half won't appreciate it. I'd suggest either a Road Glide Ultra (fixed mounted fairing) or an ElectraGlide Limited (fork mounted fairing) as these are fully equipped, include the tourpak, rider and passenger backrests, have standard 13" rear air shocks and a much more comfortable seat for both the rider and passenger. Either would have a 103" motor. For the life of me I can't understand the salesman's comments about the 96" being preferable or more desireable than the 103" mil. The larger displacement is preferable for two-up riding on a heavier bike. I ride either my Road King Anniversary or CVO Road Glide Ultra. The RGU is similar to the Limited other than the fairing style.

Frank

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frank

Thanks for the response. I am not ready for a full dress bike, still yound and dumb enough to want what my eyes like even if some comfort is lost. The wife was quite happy on the back of the FZ1 and we have test ridden a couple of street glides which she says is even better. Her only issue on the back of a bike is making sure her knees are lower than her waist, otherwise she gets leg cramps.

The salesman couldn't explain why the 96ci bikes were hot sellers just that they were. He said comparable bikes for the same price the 96 would sell first. I come from the school of more displacement the better

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
Frank

Thanks for the response. I am not ready for a full dress bike, still yound and dumb enough to want what my eyes like even if some comfort is lost. The wife was quite happy on the back of the FZ1 and we have test ridden a couple of street glides which she says is even better. Her only issue on the back of a bike is making sure her knees are lower than her waist, otherwise she gets leg cramps.

The salesman couldn't explain why the 96ci bikes were hot sellers just that they were. He said comparable bikes for the same price the 96 would sell first. I come from the school of more displacement the better
It may be that the 96" bikes are a couple of years older and more affordable. Ms. SGS's Softail Deluxe has the 96" motor and runs well. My previous 2007 Road Glide had the first year 96" motor and it ran hot as hell. I bumped it up to 107" with a big bore kit, added cams, tuner and exhaust to cool it off and wake it up.

Most of the HD salesmen I've met are ill informed, highly opinionated and lack much real riding experience. There are lots of slightly used Street Glides for sale because many riders quickly move up to the touring platform which is a pretty good value.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Here is my two cents
Stay away from 2006 or older (cam chain tensioner issues) (spring loaded) I have seen many failures. some catastrophic
Harley seems to believe that cam chain tensioner inspections to be a maintenance issue
2007 and newer use oil pressure activated tensioners
Stay away from the 96 CID as SOME have had starter issues due to NO decompressors
The 103's have factory electric decopmpressors
Avoid dealer upgraded (big bore) conversions unless they also installed the decompressors.

Like I said (My 2 cents)

·
Registered
16 Posts
It sounds like the dealer has a lot of 96" bikes on his lot. I suggest you check out a Road Glide Special. It has the same features as the Street Glide but the better fairing and suspension. In my opinion the Road Glide is a much better handling bike because of the fairing type.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It may be that the 96" bikes are a couple of years older and more affordable. Ms. SGS's Softail Deluxe has the 96" motor and runs well. My previous 2007 Road Glide had the first year 96" motor and it ran hot as hell. I bumped it up to 107" with a big bore kit, added cams, tuner and exhaust to cool it off and wake it up.

Most of the HD salesmen I've met are ill informed, highly opinionated and lack much real riding experience. There are lots of slightly used Street Glides for sale because many riders quickly move up to the touring platform which is a pretty good value.
I still have my 2007 Road king Screaming Eagle, 110, had it chipped, before leaving for Glacier National park back when I got it new. It has only travel cross country, with mileage at 25,000 miles. Love it, would go no other way. Removable wind shield, and lots of power to spare. I had the old 80 cubic inch bike and at 100/mph, it sounded like the pistons were going to leave the bike. The Road Kings are great bikes to travel, if you don't like the full dressers.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Motorcycle owners ride Harley's, riders own BMW's :)

In all seriousness if you are interested in two up riding (outside of riding to the bars), there are much better options than a Harley..... BMW dealerships will also allow test rides, considering the size of the investment you are looking at, I'd have a hard time dropping that kind of money on something I haven't even road.

~g

·
Registered
404 Posts
AND
You can spot a BMW rider a mile away

:munch:

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts

In all seriousness if you are interested in two up riding (outside of riding to the bars), there are much better options than a Harley..... BMW dealerships will also allow test rides, considering the size of the investment you are looking at, I'd have a hard time dropping that kind of money on something I haven't even road.

~g
I guess those of us who have been riding Harley Davidson's for over 45 years and have almost a million miles under our belts aren't serious riders are we.............? Believe that the OP mentioned that he was interested in a Harley Davidson Street Glide.

·
Registered
110 Posts
2007 and later HD models have the advantage of a six speed transmission, as well as the newly designed cam chain tensioners. The only difference between the 96 cubic inch models and 103 cubic inch models is the size of the cylinder bore. Both engines run great and have plenty of power for two up riding. The street glide does offer a low profile shock which many riders with a shorter inseam prefer. I have not noticed a difference in ride quality at all between the low profile street glide shocks and the standard dresser shocks, as they both have an air assisted preload adjustment which when utilized correctly offers a great ride quality for solo and two up riding. You'll notice that guys who have either never owned a Harley, or can't afford one, love to bash on them. I can tell you that having spent the last 15 years in the motorcycle business, exclusively with the HD brand in both dealership settings and as a private shop owner, that HD builds a world class motorcycle that competes with anything on the planet in their chosen market. I've serviced and ridden everything Harley has built over the last decade, as well as most of the competitors product. What I can tell you without hesitation is this: Pull the trigger on something that YOU like and get out there and enjoy it! It really doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
.... six speed transmission, as well as the newly designed cam chain tensioners. ....
What are these strange things for Harley's you speak of? Everybody knows that you only need 4 speeds and cams have gears, not chains, 6 speeds and cam chains are for Japanese and British bikes.

Next you'll be telling me Harley's have aluminum cylinders, push button electric starting and carburetors are a thing of the past, lies I say, lies..... :unknown:

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info. We have looked at the Road King and it is a consideration, the Street Glide just has that look.

The dealer where the salesman made the 103/96 comment actually had several used 103s and no 96s. Who knows. As long as there isn't a problem I'd rather have a 103 for the extra oomph.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

~g
BMW bukds a nice bike but nothing with the style of the Street Glide. Like I said, I am still willing to give up some comfort for style. If I had plenty of money I'd just have several bikes, one for each of my moods and riding styles.

·
Administrator
17,973 Posts
Next you'll be telling me Harley's have aluminum cylinders, push button electric starting and carburetors are a thing of the past, lies I say, lies..... :unknown:
What about water cooled heads? With tiny little radiators in the lowers?

When the new Road Glide Ultra (non-CVO 40k version) I might be very tempted, the GL1800 is getting boring.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts
BMW bukds a nice bike but nothing with the style of the Street Glide. Like I said, I am still willing to give up some comfort for style. If I had plenty of money I'd just have several bikes, one for each of my moods and riding styles.
I'm like you on this. I like the dyna wide glide or soft tail look. Never drove/rode one. Probably never will. Probably never own a bike again. I keep my lic. just in case. If I had one I probably wouldn't go on trips longer then 2 days. Our oldest son has a 100 year anniversary Road King Classic. I rode it to work and back once when he was down. It was a great ride but I was uncomfortable with all that stuff hanging off it. Great for trips but to much on it for me. I've never owned a Harley but that is the only bike I'd buy now.

·
Super Moderator
8,044 Posts
I'm like you on this. I like the dyna wide glide or soft tail look. Never drove/rode one. Probably never will. Probably never own a bike again. I keep my lic. just in case. If I had one I probably wouldn't go on trips longer then 2 days. Our oldest son has a 100 year anniversary Road King Classic. I rode it to work and back once when he was down. It was a great ride but I was uncomfortable with all that stuff hanging off it. Great for trips but to much on it for me. I've never owned a Harley but that is the only bike I'd buy now.
Levi,

You never know. Many guys buy a motorcycle after many years without having one. When we were up in Rochester, NH for the factory demo rides this past weekend Ms. SGS was talking to an older gentlemen who was admiring her Softail Deluxe. He was 78 years young! He rode as a kid and his wife made him give up his "motor" as he called it when they married and had kids of their own. 10 years ago at 68 he wandered into a Harley dealership and bought himself a new Road King. He's been riding regularly ever since and loving it. He said riding is what keeps him young. He also has some new friends that enjoy getting together all year long, whether on the bikes or not.

:thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts