Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We need to bust up some manure and hay piles this spring, so I've about convinced myself to build a chain harrow. Not just pieces of chain or fence, but with actual teeth. I can get two 6.5x4' sections of the chain assembly for $580 shipped, and I'm contemplating building a folding 12' three point harrow. I thought about building a solid framed spike harrow, but I don't think it would follow the ground as well and would probably cost more.

Any thoughts, or suggestions on where to get the chin sections cheaper? I've been watching Craigslist, but not much turns up. I found a 15' S tine harrow for $150, but it's seven hours away and is missing all the S tines. :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I built one for my wife,,, it is her horse.

Actually,, I built 2,, the first one was a prototype,,, not as refined.

It worked PERFECT,,, we gave the prototype to our farrier as a Christmas present.

She had been using the chain type you had mentioned.

She found mine worked MUCH better than the chain type.

I had the materials,, my cost was zero.

The beam REALLY breaks everything up perfectly.

This thing has WAY more weight per foot than the chain type.

It makes the driveway REALLY nice,,, too!! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
NEW 16 ft. English Chain Harrow

Don't know if this will help, but wanted to share it. They have several sizes and you could fabricate a 3pt hitch for it. You may have similar chain harrows closer to you.

DAve

·
Old Pa-pa
11,965 Posts
Spring time, I always use the mower (ZTR)
Bet everybody stays "upwind" of the ZTR when you're done.............Just guessing.:lol:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,965 Posts
Not just pieces of chain or fence, but with actual teeth. I can get two 6.5x4' sections of the chain assembly for $580 shipped, and I'm
Man that sounds way high to me.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

It's a spike harrow made up of two 5' sections. The teeth are adjustable for angle, it needs a little work but it should do. May attach a section of fence behind it to help scatter stuff after the teeth break through it.

Originally I was planning to convert it to a three point hitch, but I think I may stick with the chain and see if the Gator can pull it. That would compact the ground a lot less than having to use the tractor.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NEW 16 ft. English Chain Harrow

Don't know if this will help, but wanted to share it. They have several sizes and you could fabricate a 3pt hitch for it. You may have similar chain harrows closer to you.

DAve
Man that sounds way high to me.
Dave, that's the exact type I was looking at. I found the chain sections for slightly less, but they still seemed pretty expensive. A 4x4' piece was $130, plus about $60 shipping.

I built one for my wife,,, it is her horse.

Actually,, I built 2,, the first one was a prototype,,, not as refined.

It worked PERFECT,,, we gave the prototype to our farrier as a Christmas present.

She had been using the chain type you had mentioned.

She found mine worked MUCH better than the chain type.

I had the materials,, my cost was zero.

The beam REALLY breaks everything up perfectly.

This thing has WAY more weight per foot than the chain type.

It makes the driveway REALLY nice,,, too!! :thumbup1gif:

It looks like it works great! I don't know how well it could break up a few inches of wet, sticky hay though. I'm not sure how the one I bought will do with it, but I can always add weight if I need to.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
IMO, something that is great for hay, wont be worth a hoot on manure,,,
and vice versa,,,

Long tines for hay,,, and mash/crumble the manure,,,

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
I have a similar 2 section 10ft tooth harrow (old style) that is 3pt. I use it to smooth gravel drives.

Dave

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I have a single section like that from an old John Deere. I add some cinder blocks to get the teeth to dig in better.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Lol. We're working toward getting our official redneck card. Found an old section of chain link fence in the woods. Tossed a couple of decent sections from a tree we took down on top, wrapped fence around it. It makes short work of poo piles and it's one less chunk o'tree I have to find something to do with. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

For busting up hay, the harrow needs to be heavier and longer wouldn't hurt either. Attaching a section of fence behind it should help, but with the teeth set so aggressively it's about all the Gator can do to pull it like it is. More weight will definitely require the tractor to pull, but with the teeth turned a little more flat and a section of fence I think the Gator would do a great job of busting up manure.

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Another option

We use the "English" harrow style and they work well but with shipping are a bit pricey. I'll be they are a heck of a lot cheaper if you live near a manufacturer. . .

One person in our area was making harrows by taking old car tires and bolting/chaining them together. I think he had a few inches of free space between the tires in a row. There would be a second or third row withe the spacing to fill in the gaps. I think he ran eye bolts through the tread of the tire and used chain between the eye bolts. Each tire was bolted to the front, sides and back depending on the tire position. A pipe across the front towed the whole works.

Front
_______

O O O O
. O O O
O O O O

Treefarmer

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is not mine, the only difference is mine has a 4" well pipe as a drag attachment bar.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,219 Posts
If you think you might still be looking for something bigger or better, check out this one 30' Pasture Harrow

Not a bad price for what you get and on wheels, no less.

Dave

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you think you might still be looking for something bigger or better, check out this one 30' Pasture Harrow

Not a bad price for what you get and on wheels, no less.

Dave

I've seen some really good deals on pretty big equipment. Once it gets over a certain size, most people don't have a tractor big enough to pull it or enough land to use it on. An 18' went at auction for $150, I would've bought it but I couldn't pick it up in Indiana.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts