Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

GTT Vendor
Discussion Starter #1
I recently helped a couple of friends pull a Farmall C out of the woods that was sitting there for 20 years (before it was 'woods'). Surprisingly, the engine isn't seized up. The main issues are that the carb is shot, a rim is rusted, the clutch is frozen, the fuel tank has a rust hole, and the starter needs to be replaced. Of course, the tires are not likely to survive the restoration. They guy fixing it up is a miracle worker with these tractors so I'm looking forward to seeing it get brought back to life. Forgive the fuzzy pictures. The humidity was brutal that day.

On the back of the tractor at its last breath was an older vintage Deere Model M manure spreader, which we went back for yesterday. It's in pretty tough shape and we aren't sure about its prognosis.

I can't believe someone could leave something like this sitting for so long.

Attachments

Registered
Some people have no respect for old iron. You may have saved that old Farmall from the scrap heap. Does the spreader need more than wood and TLC?

Premium Member
Nice save! The wide front end is a rarity in Alabama where I'm from.

GTT Vendor
Discussion Starter #4
Surprisingly, the owner was the guy who parked it there 20 years ago, 100 feet from his living room sofa.

The spreader is rotted in various places. Once it was loaded up, I went back into the woods to make sure we got everything and found a few pieces that had fallen off. And it only had to move 15 feet to get out of the woods. But the spoked wheels, chains, and sprockets all seem good at least, as well as the main frame and tow bar.

GTT Vendor
Discussion Starter #5
Nice save! The wide front end is a rarity in Alabama where I'm from.
The front end of the tractor used to be width adjustable. Unfortunately, a welding repair made several years prior put an end to that. At least it ended up in a good general position.

Administrator
Nice save!

That little guy didn't look too far gone. I can't wait to see the progress.:good2:

Registered
If you can find a carb somewhere you should have that C running by Sunday. :laugh:
Seriously, that looks like a fairly easy restore, as restorations go.

Registered
Speaking of restorations,Andy how did you like the JD 40?How would it compare to the 2520?

GTT Vendor
Discussion Starter #9
If you can find a carb somewhere you should have that C running by Sunday. :laugh:
Seriously, that looks like a fairly easy restore, as restorations go.
The guy doing the resto has done many similar things. He already had a carb ready for use on the "carburetor" shelf just next to the spring shackle section and under the grill emblem section. :laugh:

He's been trying to free the clutch but has come to the conclusion that he'll have to split it open to free it up (and put in a new clutch at the same time). He was hoping to get it to pop, but "no big deal".

And yes, its overall condition is amazing for the number of years it has been sitting. Thankfully, it sits high up off of the ground, a major plus. Unfortunately, it is quite the opposite for the spreader, low to the ground and large flat areas of exposure.

Premium Member
I have access to a Super C and also a C that are early 50 models. Both still in good running condition but look worse than the one you have saved. You'll be able to put together a very interesting photo album from deserted to fully restored condition that will make it that much more valuable down the road.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts