Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am between the CTA loader plow and the Frontier Plow 60 inch model for the 1025r. I have the Artillian diverter installed so I want to use a Hydraulic Angle for the plow.
The frontier I know is manual but has anyone that owns one looked at upgrading it or has done so? Only reason I’m thinking of that is because it is about 280 lbs lighter than the CTA model and in stock at a few dealers. And if it can be done and total price be less than the CTA then I’ll go that route. I do have a 54 JD snow blade and quick hitch that I was thinking of using that cylinder for this job but think it will work better with a proper length cylinder.

If not I’m ready to pull the trigger on a CTA plow as the HLA is going to be $2600 so I’m going to pass on that as both of these are under that by a good amount.

Would the weight actually be better in this application? I usually just feather the controls and don’t use float as my rubber blade works great so the front wheels will have some weight to them. Seems like when I use float with the 54 quick hitch blade if I try turning with the snow I’m fighting the direction. I have turfs and do use 4WD if needed.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I can’t actually speak to the Frontier plow, but I did take my HLA snow 1000 series 60” manual angle plow and convert it to hydraulic angling for use with my Artillian diverter.

The HLA used a sliding sleeve with a thru pin for adjustments, substituting a dual acting cylinder was a matter of matching the lengths, end pin sizes and widths and getting fittings and hoses to the diverter ports.

If the Frontier uses a single adjustment point/bar to angle it, it should be a matter of matching a cylinder and swapping them out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can’t actually speak to the Frontier plow, but I did take my HLA snow 1000 series 60” manual angle plow and convert it to hydraulic angling for use with my Artillian diverter.

The HLA used a sliding sleeve with a thru pin for adjustments, substituting a dual acting cylinder was a matter of matching the lengths, end pin sizes and widths and getting fittings and hoses to the diverter ports.

If the Frontier uses a single adjustment point/bar to angle it, it should be a matter of matching a cylinder and swapping them out.
Great thanks! It looks like the frontier plow uses a pin in the middle I’m sure there is a spot on either side that can get a tab or steel bolted to and then pick a DA cylinder. Projects like this I wish I welded, I should really learn. For now bolts should work though.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I have the AF10F and just priced the hydraulic angling kit at my dealer, I think the price was $675. They printed out the diagram for me and the parts seem to connect to features that my AF10F doesn't have (tabs and holes). I would have to add the diverter as well, so even if it fit, the total cost would be prohibitive. I suspect that there are two versions of this plow, and that I have the earlier one (purchased January 2018).

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Is should add that after most of a long winter plowing without the angling feature, I'm not sure that I even want it. Though it is nice to use, it complicates switching between the plow and the bucket or even forks, and I seem to be doing that switch pretty often. Plow with the blade, and then move a snow bank with the bucket and then back to the blade.

Also, when you set the blade down, always put it against something such as a curb or snow pile as it is fairly light and can be tricky to pick up if there isn't enough resistance to movement.

I'm pretty happy with the AF10F, I never felt the need for the rubber flap on the top. I wish that I had video of it pushing a 3' high rolling wave of snow as it is a thing of beauty to behold. It has great rolling action and the flap isn't needed.

I live on a hill and have some snow to plow nearly every day in the winter, but after a snowfall exceeding about 12", the walk behind blower comes out and the plow is just used for cleanup. I find that both tools are needed if you live in snow country. On the other hand, the blower is useless if there is any slush and the plow is essential. I just got the Original Tractor Cab and this year should be much more pleasant.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the AF10F and just priced the hydraulic angling kit at my dealer, I think the price was $675. They printed out the diagram for me and the parts seem to connect to features that my AF10F doesn't have (tabs and holes). I would have to add the diverter as well, so even if it fit, the total cost would be prohibitive. I suspect that there are two versions of this plow, and that I have the earlier one (purchased January 2018).

Interesting, if you could attach the diagram or the part numbers that would be great. I’ll check on the JD parts site as well.I looked last year and did not see a factory solution guess now they did make one. I have the artillian setup for the front lines so it would just be the the plow side I’d need to do. As of now I have a quote for the HLA hydraulic angle for $2600.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
The AF10F is an entirely new model as of last winter. I don't see how they'd have 2 different versions of it out already. Deere has also always said that it is a manual angle only plow. They don't offer an angling kit for it.

I suspect the kit your dealer found is the hydro angle kit for the AF11E blade. That would explain why the directions don't match up with your plow. All of the framework between the JDQA bracket and the moldboard is completely different between the two models.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
The AF10F is an entirely new model as of last winter. I don't see how they'd have 2 different versions of it out already. Deere has also always said that it is a manual angle only plow. They don't offer an angling kit for it.

I suspect the kit your dealer found is the hydro angle kit for the AF11E blade. That would explain why the directions don't match up with your plow. All of the framework between the JDQA bracket and the moldboard is completely different between the two models.
No, I just checked. It clearly is for the AF10F, header to the diagram is: John Deere>Turf And Utility>BLADE>AF10F-BLADE>AF10F Front Blade (Frontier)(PC13279)>0 Front Blade > Hydraulic Angle Kit (Optional) - ST937878

I went to the dealer because I found it as a listed option online (it wasn't offered initially).

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
No, I just checked. It clearly is for the AF10F, header to the diagram is: John Deere>Turf And Utility>BLADE>AF10F-BLADE>AF10F Front Blade (Frontier)(PC13279)>0 Front Blade > Hydraulic Angle Kit (Optional) - ST937878

I went to the dealer because I found it as a listed option online (it wasn't offered initially).

Wow. That is just bizarre. I have no idea when that got added to JDParts. I've looked before and it wasn't there.

The image for the kit also shows mounting points (brackets) for it on the frame but if you look at the frame images, those brackets aren't there. :unknown:

Maybe Deere has finally listened to customers complaining about the lack of hydro angling and decided to slip this kit in without any sort of announcement?? And if you do a search on that kit via Google... nothing. No one is advertising them. None of the usually parts sources list it in searches on their sites either.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
I've looked before and it wasn't there.
I never saw it before either, but if you go to the JD website, and "Build Your Own", you can add it as accessory code 9561 for $625. It's there now.

·
Premium Member
12,233 Posts
Wow. That is just bizarre. I have no idea when that got added to JDParts. I've looked before and it wasn't there.

The image for the kit also shows mounting points (brackets) for it on the frame but if you look at the frame images, those brackets aren't there. :unknown:

Maybe Deere has finally listened to customers complaining about the lack of hydro angling and decided to slip this kit in without any sort of announcement?? And if you do a search on that kit via Google... nothing. No one is advertising them. None of the usually parts sources list it in searches on their sites either.
You are correct. It has been added since 12-29-2017. The reason I know is on that date I did a screen capture of the options section in the parts book and it looked like this:

Currently, it looks like this:

There is no mention of a serial number break or anything to determine which blades can accept the hydraulic angle kit.

5WD1044517
Part Number:
5WD1044517
Part Price:675.00 USD
On Hand:
0 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description:Angle Kit - HYDRAULIC ANGLE KIT

Attachments

·
Premium Member
251 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
You are correct. It has been added since 12-29-2017. The reason I know is on that date I did a screen capture of the options section in the parts book and it looked like this:
I was looking at it back in August and it wasn't there. I'm doing the same thing the OP is doing -Trying to decide on a new plow, And I had ruled out the AF10F specifically because they didn't have an angle function. I was trying to figure out of there was a way to add one by looking that the pics on JDParts and there was no listing for that kit then.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was looking at it back in August and it wasn't there. I'm doing the same thing the OP is doing -Trying to decide on a new plow, And I had ruled out the AF10F specifically because they didn't have an angle function. I was trying to figure out of there was a way to add one by looking that the pics on JDParts and there was no listing for that kit then.

Jim,

I plan on contacting two dealers tomorrow and will report back on what they say. I spoke with another dealership about getting a plow and they were not going to have any in stock till mid January as all of the current ones and ordered ones were sold.

·
Registered
122 Posts

Currently, it looks like this:

There is no mention of a serial number break or anything to determine which blades can accept the hydraulic angle kit.

5WD1044517
Part Number:
5WD1044517
Part Price:675.00 USD
On Hand:
0 (Supplier Direct - Contact your dealer for availability) Check Other Stores
Description:Angle Kit - HYDRAULIC ANGLE KIT
Thanks for posting this. Didn’t even know this was a thing. Not really needing the hydraulic angle kit but was wanting a poly cutting edge since my rubber one is shot after plowing snow 4 times past winter. Kinda blown away that a poly cutting edge is almost $600.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Didn’t even know this was a thing. Not really needing the hydraulic angle kit but was wanting a poly cutting edge since my rubber one is shot after plowing snow 4 times past winter. Kinda blown away that a poly cutting edge is almost $600.
YOIKES! I bought one last year for my 54" plow from these guys:

Polyurethane Snow Plow Blades and Wings | Secure Online Ordering

Used it all winter and you can hardly see any wear on it at all. I went with a 6" wide edge so I can flip it when it does wear.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Just a quick update. I’ve checked with a few dealers and all but one confirmed it quickly that it’s a new kit and it can be ordered now and no issues of figuring out if it works or not, it seems like they knew about it.
The trick is now though some have no blades or not getting any in that are not sold until the end of January the ones that can get them faster seem to be charging a lot IMO.
I’m all about buying local but the two dealers I contacted so far in mass quoted me a little over $1,700 just for the blade before tax and those would be ordered. The dealer that is sold out till January is pricing them around $1,500.
I’ll call a few more places today and give a full run down this evening. Just wanted to post something up incase someone else was looking to buy as well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Just a quick update. I’ve checked with a few dealers and all but one confirmed it quickly that it’s a new kit and it can be ordered now and no issues of figuring out if it works or not, it seems like they knew about it.
The trick is now though some have no blades or not getting any in that are not sold until the end of January the ones that can get them faster seem to be charging a lot IMO.
I’m all about buying local but the two dealers I contacted so far in mass quoted me a little over $1,700 just for the blade before tax and those would be ordered. The dealer that is sold out till January is pricing them around $1,500.
I’ll call a few more places today and give a full run down this evening. Just wanted to post something up incase someone else was looking to buy as well.
Not sure what options you have but I got my AF10F for $900 new through my dealer. So the $1,700 number seems steep.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not sure what options you have but I got my AF10F for $900 new through my dealer. So the $1,700 number seems steep.

Good god yeah the normal going price around here is $1,400-$1,500 what I was seeing last year. I’m actually thinking of going with a different model. I feel like the dealers in my state all are in agreement for a certain price point. I ran into this when buying my tractor a few years ago. Oh well guess they have people paying it. I don’t mind paying it but if another local dealer has it for a few hundred less I’m sure they are not selling for a loss so why should I pay the extra. :unknown:

·
Registered
397 Posts
The CTA PLOWS are about $1700. With the angle cylinders. You might want to look at them. I have a 66” CTA that I recently used on the 3” snowfall last week. A really wet snow that quickly packed down and turned to ice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts