Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

So this fall's potential project is to erect a 40x60 "man town" building so my wife and daughters can have the 3 car garage in the front of the property back to actually park their cars in. (I know, whiners, who uses a garage for cars? :unknown: )

I have a family member that will grade and prep the area for us and the concrete contractor lives 2 houses down the road so that aspect is already drawn up as is all the town permit homework, I just need to choose what type structure to place on the slab and pull the trigger to get going.

I thought about a pole barn but with the snow loads we get here on the mountain, I couldn't make the numbers work for a clear span and have a large enough overfactor to make me comfortable. (two years ago we went away for a long weekend, close to 6 feet fell in the 3 days we were away) So I'm thinking that a steel structure will be my best choice.

I hear ads for General Steel on the radio all the time, then there is the company that has 2x2 square tube and of course the Quonset hut variants. I have experience with the "Space" brand steel buildings out of Raynham Mass and I like them, the General brand seems to be on the same design sheet. Anchoring will be to the slab and power will be brought to it. I plan on insulating and heating the main area and constructing a small (12x12) enclosed room to locate the metalworking machines and use a mini-split hvac to control the climate in there especially to maintain low humidity in the summer.

OK, back to what I'm looking for here, Has anyone put up one of the steel buildings from the online sellers and what was your experience from initial contact to when you were 100% finished? Good/bad, I want to hear all the gory details :)

Thanks in advance,
Tom

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
While I can't comment on the online packages, I was informed recently that the Menards packages are "code minimum." I gave a puzzled look and was told "2x3's not 2x4's"... I am, however, curious to hear what others have to say. In about 10 years I will be building my out building, seriously considering 2 story...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Subscribed. :munch:

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I'll jump on and provide little to no help. I wish I could. I will be building me something within the next few years. So I'm going to follow along.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Did I scare everyone away?

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did I scare everyone away?
Hiya,

No, I think I did...... :unknown:

Either that or all the steel building firms are just fronts and not in the steel building business.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts