Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The cutting height dial on my 1025r wasn't quite lined up correctly. I haven't mowed with it yet, but the lock position wasn't in the right place, and I had to visually check to make sure it was locked, which annoyed me. So I pried up the edges of the sticker (the thing with the markings on it) and discovered it wasn't stuck on very firmly, but something was holding it in place. I removed the dial (it just comes off...pull) and saw that there were two screws holding the "sticker" in place. I removed the screws, peeled off the sticker, readjusted it so that the lock icon was in the right place, and put the dial back back on.

Now I'm happy. :good2:

Anyone else do this?

017.JPG 018.JPG 020.JPG

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Anyone else do this?
It's one of the first things I did. I didn't peel off the sticker but I did shift the plastic piece over so that the shaft would be more centered.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Nice Info. I saw a thread where a guy bent his 3pt lever a hair to center perfectly in the slot and than took a heat gun with the slot shroud clamped and straightened out the slot. On mine, the slot is wider in the middle so the height lock is always a problem. It's on the list.

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I'll check mine but i think it's right on. Thanks for the hint.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've done a different type of re-adjusting: ripped it completely off at least two times when it was bound up. Guess I don't know my own strength :lol:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Since the height markings on my 1026 don't refer to any particular "inch" cutting height, I just crank the knob all the way clockwise and when it stops it's in "Lock". All the way counter clockwise and it's "Install". I mow one click off "Lock" and it's still too short... Guess one could say I set mine by feel and not visually.

When you get under the machine and see how the height knob setting mech works you soon find that "Lock" is just the last setting notch on the step cam...

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Since the height markings on my 1026 don't refer to any particular "inch" cutting height, I just crank the knob all the way clockwise and when it stops it's in "Lock". All the way counter clockwise and it's "Install". I mow one click off "Lock" and it's still too short... Guess one could say I set mine by feel and not visually.

When you get under the machine and see how the height knob setting mech works you soon find that "Lock" is just the last setting notch on the step cam...
When it stops? Mine does not stop, in either direction, you can just keep turning it. The only sure way I can tell which step of the cam it is on is to get off the tractor and look under it at the step cam position.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it stops? Mine does not stop, in either direction, you can just keep turning it. The only sure way I can tell which step of the cam it is on is to get off the tractor and look under it at the step cam position.
Mine doesn't stop either...if the lift arms are all the way up, it will spin in circles. If you look at the mechanism, you will see that there is nothing preventing it from doing so.

Lock is with the arm resting right up against the bottom of the step cam., and I wanted that last setting on the notch to correspond to the picture of the lock on the dial. If I spin it too far clockwise (or not enough counter clockwise) it lets it all the way down, which can get really ugly if you think it's locked up and act accordingly. Now when I put the notch on the lock icon, it's locked.

Also, I plan to "calibrate" that dial when I put the deck on, and mark it with actual numbers. I know it doesn't matter, but I want numbers, dammit! :) I had an x758 and the deck height control was much better than this, and I miss that.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

Y'all correct re "lock", mine spins too. GX knob is different and I guess I mixed 'em up. However, there is no actual "LOCK", just the highest step on the cam. I still say they need at least 1.5"+ more mowing height. Mine sucks topsoil out of the grass on highest setting on humps (not scalping) even at the highest setting. I don't have grass like in the slick brochures.:laugh:

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I still say they need at least 1.5"+ more mowing height. Mine sucks topsoil out of the grass on highest setting on humps (not scalping) even at the highest setting. I don't have grass like in the slick brochures.:laugh:
Me also. :empathy:

·
Registered
913 Posts
Me also. :empathy:
Same problem here as well. In the "lock position" and parked on flat concrete, the JD mower height gauge shows that I have 3.75 inches blade height above ground. The rotary height adjuster stops one step shy of completely raised, which would account for the missing 3/4 inches I need to get to the published spec of 4.5 inch mowing height.

The lifting mechanism bottoms out on the bottom of the tractor and simply cannot go any higher.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I mow in the "lock" position which I think give me absolute maximum height. Does anyone else do that?

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This tractor has more ground clearance than my x758 did, or so it appears. I don't understand why I can't get the same 5" of cutting height.

Is there a mod that can be done? Either with the step cam position or the arms?

·
Registered
194 Posts
This tractor has more ground clearance than my x758 did, or so it appears. I don't understand why I can't get the same 5" of cutting height.

Did you follow the deck adjustment sticky? http://http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/sub-compact-utility-tractors-scut/3675-1026r-1025r-1023e-1-series-mower-setup-adjustment.html I think I'm close to it if not a 1/4 off I know that thread helped with the height and also the scalping.

That thread was great it fixed all the deck issues for me :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts

Long time ago after learning how to level the deck via the "sticky" I spent some time seeing how the lift mech works. It's not a question of "tractor ground clearance", but clearance between deck and tractor in the lifted position, it just can't go any higher... My 54D mows so great, it's just sad it won't mow high enough for my grass during drought conditions. Cue the GX335 w/48C deck which has far less blade speed (I believe) and doesn't cut quite as well as the 54D...

Reactions: spferdil

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
It's true that the limiting factor of the maximum blade height at "Lock" position is due to the clearance between the lift mechanism and the tractor frame. Around 4" was the best I could ever get out of mine.

However, if you have the Mechanical lift (tied to 3-point) it is even harder to keep that number consistently. When mine was delivered, they told me it was ready to mow so I set the knob just above the half mark and took off. I was doing more plowing than cutting grass. I had expected that at the "Half" mark the blade height would be about 2", but the way they had it set up the blade height at "Lock" was only about 2.25".

The setting when mine was delivered:

SAM_0110.JPG

These tractors were still pretty new then (2014) and my dealer had no one who knew how to set up one of these decks. When I complained that it would not raise high enough the only thing they knew to do was raise the deck with the turnbuckles, which then screwed up the auto-connect and/or the deck level, and around and around we went.

I came here and learned about the adjustable strap behind the rear wheel which is the key to setting up the Mechanical lift. Dealer's techs knew nothing about the procedure to set it and neither did I at the time because it was not in the Owner's manual for either the tractor or the MMM. It is in the tech manual which I first found out here.

This is the adjustable strap:

SAM_0119.JPG

I finally gave up on the dealer and set this up myself with the info from here. I set it up numerous times where the max blade height at "Lock" would be around 4", but it was not repeatable. It would work fine when I first finished setting it, but after mowing a time or 2 the gap would close up enough that the cam could not turn into the "Lock" position. Something kept changing in the mechanism somewhere and I never figured out what. I'd mark the bolts so I could tell if they moved, but they were always still right where I had put them.

My setting for 4" at "Lock":

SAM_0116.JPG

After fighting this the whole first mowing season I had the tractor, that winter I had them put the independent lift on it. Of course they screwed that up too at first, but that's another story. But at least it is consistent about raising it to the same place every time.

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
How does it change after you set it?

Also...the farther from the step cam that lever is, the higher the deck is, right? So what's wrong with your first picture? I mean...the steps are settings on the dial, with the lowest one being "lock" and the higher steps being the progressive "steps" to fully down. So if you have a huge gap between lock and that arm, doesn't mean that the deck is way higher than lock?

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
How does it change after you set it?

Also...the farther from the step cam that lever is, the higher the deck is, right? So what's wrong with your first picture? I mean...the steps are settings on the dial, with the lowest one being "lock" and the higher steps being the progressive "steps" to fully down. So if you have a huge gap between lock and that arm, doesn't mean that the deck is way higher than lock?
Actually you have it backwards. The farther from the step cam that lever is in these pictures, the lower the deck will be in actual use. These pictures are taken in the "adjust" position, meaning you raise the deck all the way up with the hydraulic control and have the step cam in the "Lock" position to adjust the gap between them. This gap needs to be as tight as possible, just enough that the cam can rotate under the lowest step on the cam, which is the "Lock" position. When you are setting your height with the knob, you raise the deck all the way up with the hydraulic control, then rotate the knob to the position you want, and then let the deck down with the hydraulic control onto the step on the cam so that it then sets and holds the deck position set by the knob. Once you let the deck down onto the step cam there is no gap, the step is what is holding the deck.

The problems with setting this is first, you have to remove the left rear wheel to get to the adjustable strap. Second, you have to make this adjustment with the deck off, 'cause with the deck on it's too heavy and you can't adjust the strap. So you have to set the gap a little wider 'cause with the deck back on it's weight will pull the gap closer. What you need this gap to be is about 1/16" - 1/8" with the deck on and all the way up, to allow the lowest step on the cam ("Lock") to turn under the lever. So I found that setting the gap to 1/4" with the deck off would then give a 1/8" gap with the deck on and the knob and step cam could be turned freely into the "Lock" position. But, after mowing a time or 2 this gap would somehow change and be closed up to the point that the knob and step cam could not be turned into the "Lock" position.

And even when it was freshly set and working right, the blade height at "Lock" (max height) was only 4".

·
Premium Member
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Actually you have it backwards. The farther from the step cam that lever is in these pictures, the lower the deck will be in actual use. These pictures are taken in the "adjust" position, meaning you raise the deck all the way up with the hydraulic control and have the step cam in the "Lock" position to adjust the gap between them. This gap needs to be as tight as possible, just enough that the cam can rotate under the lowest step on the cam, which is the "Lock" position. When you are setting your height with the knob, you raise the deck all the way up with the hydraulic control, then rotate the knob to the position you want, and then let the deck down with the hydraulic control onto the step on the cam so that it then sets and holds the deck position set by the knob. Once you let the deck down onto the step cam there is no gap, the step is what is holding the deck.

The problems with setting this is first, you have to remove the left rear wheel to get to the adjustable strap. Second, you have to make this adjustment with the deck off, 'cause with the deck on it's too heavy and you can't adjust the strap. So you have to set the gap a little wider 'cause with the deck back on it's weight will pull the gap closer. What you need this gap to be is about 1/16" - 1/8" with the deck on and all the way up, to allow the lowest step on the cam ("Lock") to turn under the lever. So I found that setting the gap to 1/4" with the deck off would then give a 1/8" gap with the deck on and the knob and step cam could be turned freely into the "Lock" position. But, after mowing a time or 2 this gap would somehow change and be closed up to the point that the knob and step cam could not be turned into the "Lock" position.

And even when it was freshly set and working right, the blade height at "Lock" (max height) was only 4".

Ah, okay, I get it now. Even though that arm moving up is the deck moving down, you want the arm to be as close to the cam as possible while the deck is all the way up, so that it lowers less to get to the cam. Makes sense now that I think about it that way.

So you have no clue how it messes up the adjustment? Any theories? Something has to be drifting. Maybe the strap wasn't tightened enough?

As for 4", I don't have a problem with that. 4" is plenty high. And if you want it higher you can always raise it up past lock. Not much I know, but it's something. My first tractor was an x570 and that only went up 4" and it was fine. Then I got an x758 which went to up 5" which was great, but really only useful when I was trying to "brush hog" with the mower deck. Now that I have an actual brush hog, 4" with the mmm is plenty. I just want to make sure I actually get those 4".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts