Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ran out of time and out of money to build a proper implement shed this year. However, I still have to find someplace to stick the FEL and the box blade where I can get at them for snow removal this winter. To get through the winter, today I was looking at building a really cheap and dirty stick-framed shed with no floor and just sitting on blocks at the corners. Even if I just make it barely big enough to get the FEL into, it’s still going to cost me as much as some of the kit options at Menards. The things that specifically caught my eye are their ShelterLogic Shed-in-a-Box fabric-over-metal kits. They have a 10x10 that’s waaaaaay cheaper than what I’d spend on materials to do something half assed from scratch.

The location I’m thinking of putting this in is sheltered from the wind, probably never sees direct sun (not entirely sure, if it does, it’s for no more than an hour a day) but will have trees dropping debris on it constantly. I really just want to to last over the winter so I don’t have to dig the loader arms out of a snowbank when I need them but it’d be awesome if it’d last two winters just in case I don’t manage to get a proper implement shed build next year either.

Has anyone used this brand or something like this brand to hold implements for a while?

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Hey Willaty - not sure where you are in Ohio. I'm in S/W Ohio, a bit south of Dayton. I've had one of those Menard's tent buildings up for 2 or 3 years now. It still looks about as good as the day I put it up. It's held up well and has served it's purpose. I do have it in an area that's fairly protected from strong winds - it's behind another stick-built shed and in some trees/honeysuckle. It does get exposed to the weather, but I've got it staked down pretty well. For $300 or so that I paid for it, it's worked well.

If you're in an area where you get a lot of lake effect snow, it may or may not hold up to the snow load. I don't think that I've ever cleared the snow off building, but it might not be a bad idea if we got a really heavy snowfall.

·
Super Moderator
4,884 Posts
I had one at my previous place to use as a shed since I had no garage. It worked well for a couple of years but then a tree branch fell on it in a storm and tore a whole through the fabric. That is, IMO, the weak spot with them. They hold up well but once you get a tear, they are done. Even a small storm will take a small tear and rip the thing to shreds in a hurry. If you can keep it out from the danger of something like that happening you can get 5+ years out of them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i bought a shade tech 11 canopy from home depot for $75.00 8 x 8. Then bought a 10 x 20 heavy duty brown tarp and put that over the flimsy fabric. I have a 2014 1025r with factory installed backhoe and I back it under neath it covers it up very nice. So for less than $100.00 have cover for winter. It is in sheltered area with not much wind. We also dont get to much snow south of knoxville. Been up for about 8 months with no problems.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I have the Menard's 10x20 Autoshelter R T Brand. It has been up for a year. I would recommend these when necessary.
Having said that, the wind seems to put lots of strain on it, even with door closed.

I have bent one of the frame pieces with the loader, and recently, I backed into it while mowing, poking a hole in the fabric with the 3 pt lift arm.

I paid only $150 for this thing on sale last October.

You can see several shots of it in my YouTube videos.
Http://www.youtube.com/c/timmarks416

One other unforeseen negative is that it has less effective space than a 'real' building as you cannot lean things against the walls, corners, etc.

Overall, it has been a success. It only needs to survive a couple of more weeks until my new shed construction starts.

Just don't expect this to be a permanent solution!

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I had a Costco tent type for years in the spot where I am currently adding on to my shop. For the money you can't beat them but in time the fabric does break down any you end up putting a new tarp over it every year or two. This poor one of mine had tarps over tarps until I finally got rid of it, but it certainly earned its keep for general storage.

Tractor 2012-09-30 (4) (Custom).jpg

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I see them on a much larger scale around here on big commercial farms and at county and state maintinance yards, they have to be pretty stout to be showing up in places like those.

I also caught a part of one of those Alaska survival shows where the lady that operates the airfield north of the Arctic Cricle has one for some storage, she was using a bobcat to dig it out of 6-8' of snow-it seemed pretty tough.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I see them on a much larger scale around here on big commercial farms and at county and state maintinance yards, they have to be pretty stout to be showing up in places like those.

I also caught a part of one of those Alaska survival shows where the lady that operates the airfield north of the Arctic Cricle has one for some storage, she was using a bobcat to dig it out of 6-8' of snow-it seemed pretty tough.
When you get into the commercial grade fabric shelters you are looking something like Sprung Structures. Fabric Building, Fabric Structures - Sprung Structures IMO these are the top of the line in fabric shelters. I overlooked them for a shelter years ago only because of the cost. I found a local competitor that wasn't as robust as Sprung but served the purpose for many years as an aircraft parts storage shelter at an acceptable price.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Going along with what carvel is saying WeatherPort makes fantastic fabric shelters. I've had one up for about 5 years and it looks good as new and it handles snow load very well in Colorado. They are a local company for me and I knew that going in so they better withstand bad weather.

Also, any update on what you bought and how it's been lasting?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just today I received a catalog from an outfit called FARMTEK out of Iowa that has several shapes/sizes of this kind of thing.
Everything from dog house size to cover your back 40.

I had never heard of FARMTEK, so I can't comment on their stuff.
They also sell greenhouses, plumbing for such, etc.

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
Going along with what carvel is saying WeatherPort makes fantastic fabric shelters. I've had one up for about 5 years and it looks good as new and it handles snow load very well in Colorado. They are a local company for me and I knew that going in so they better withstand bad weather.

Also, any update on what you bought and how it's been lasting?
Welcome to GTT from one Colorado guy to another.

·
Premium Member
4,031 Posts
If you live in an area that has lots of snow, they are okay if you have room to remove the snow that falls off the top on both sides. If you do not the snow may cave in the side of the structure.. A guy down the street from me had a shelter logic and last year it collapsed not from snow on the top as the snow seems to slide off pretty good on either the round top or the gable type top, but from the sides. I had a better than Shelter logic many years ago and watched it collapse while I was removing the snow from the sides.. and I paid about a grand for the 12x24 unit.. I have since bought a steel structure designed for my neck of the world! Still worried about that last year with 4 feet of snow on the roof! While I was snow raking the darned thing you could hear it groaning because all the weight was on one side and not equally distributed. I felt pretty good after the snow was all removed and the structured thanked me too, it's still there!

·
Registered
5,365 Posts
If you do shovel snow off of them do a little at a time on each side and gradually work your way up the roof. Unloading unevenly can cause building failure. As a former inspector I have stories.:laugh:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Year #2 on a ShelterLogic 10x20. It's under some big oak trees and has stood up very well. Canopy is dirty with no tears or problems. If you are looking at these, be aware that some (like this specific one) only has one door rather than one on each end.
For under $300, it was the perfect temporary solution for me. The other consideration when looking at these is to make sure to get one that has tubes to hold the canopy along the bottom. There is no buffeting at all with this design - it has stood up to some pretty big storms. I checked with the factory, and a replacement canopy is ~$200. Assembly took 3-4 hours.
I divided up the inside with 8' of industrial shelving as well as an additional 8' unit on the back wall. Wood chips on the floor and my tractor, implements and tools are very happy until our house remodel is completed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts