Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

the tractor they just wanted gone so I took that too, it runs but the whole thing is just in rough shape. I just wanted the tiller, which I didn't know if anyone could tell me anything about it? I'm sure its not the greatest brand tiller but should make a good starter tiller..

It has a 5 horse briggs on it, anyone know how much oil it may take and what kind? I want to give it a oil change, and change the spark plug, and new air filter of course.. also anyone guess how old it is?

·
Registered
269 Posts
MTD rear tine

I got two of them MTD's. A red one same as yours, and a green one almost identical, produced for Southern States. But red one has reverse and pnuematic tires whereas green one dont. I can tell you that you cant get the tiller shaft etc if you need it. NLA. Otherwise mine would be in use. I got a new control cable here somewhere which I probaly wont use. Watch leaving it out, rain water got into my air breather recently. Went to run em, both of em broke the ropes. I think any clean oil is OK, not sure of quantity though.

Before your pic loaded I knew it would be an MTD rear tine. Weird how that works. If only I could do that with lotto tickets.

·
Premium Member
7,707 Posts
I also have a red MTD 5hp rear tine tiller. It was my Dad's. Mine must be over 30 years old. I put 30w in mine. Something is wrong with mine, it will only run if the choke is left on about 80%. Since the wife no longer puts in a garden it just sits now.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
That looks like an early '90's tiller....everything identical, except most were red. Maybe a version built to someone specs, like TSC? Most all 5 hp briggs, horizontal and vertical shaft uses 20-22 oz of oil. 30 wt or 10-30 wt will do...at least thats what is in the old handbook I have

1 - 5 of 5 Posts