Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2009 5045E. I noticed that the exhaust tip (out put) turns somewhat towards the front of the tractor. I was informed that I should not haul the tractor in the forward direction ( on a trailer) because the wind at hwy speeds can blow into the exhaust and cause the turbo to spin. With the engine not run the turbo will be spinning without lubrication. This can lead to turbo bearing wear. If this information is true I would like to hear some solutions that forum members have found to prevent this. The first that comes to my mind is to haul the tractor with the rear of the tractor loaded forwards on the trailer. The second is some type of exhaust plug.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I recently purchased a 2009 5045E. I noticed that the exhaust tip (out put) turns somewhat towards the front of the tractor. I was informed that I should not haul the tractor in the forward direction ( on a trailer) because the wind at hwy speeds can blow into the exhaust and cause the turbo to spin. With the engine not run the turbo will be spinning without lubrication. This can lead to turbo bearing wear. If this information is true I would like to hear some solutions that forum members have found to prevent this. The first that comes to my mind is to haul the tractor with the rear of the tractor loaded forwards on the trailer. The second is some type of exhaust plug.
I drive truck for a living. I can tell you that information is true. The wind will blow through the exhaust and turn the turbo. And like you said, "engine not run the turbo will be spinning without lubrication." Tow truck drivers have a bucket with something to tie it down. That they put over the stacks on a truck.
You could use a sock in it like Interceptor said or if you had a soup can. You could drill hole in side of the can and use a bungee cord hooked to the can, then hook it to the tractor to hold it down. Or you could just back it on.

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
I personally don't think its a myth, but a rather a real possibility especially on equipment with stacks. I work frequently near the port of Baltimore where lots of large equipment is shipped in from overseas and then trucked to other states, the stacks on this equipment are always covered/tapped. Covering or plugging the pipe is quick and easy, so it doesn't make sense not to.

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Myth or Not? I don't know, but would not take a chance. I would cover the exhaust opening. When my 6415 was delivered the exhaust was covered and I was glad it was. :greentractorride:

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I think there are a few questions you need to ask yourself before looking for a solution. How often will it be on a trailer being towed? How fast will you be driving while towing? How far will it be towed? If it is for a once or twice a year 5 mile trip to the dealer for service than I would grab a Ziplock style freezer bag and just gaffing tape it to the stack for the trip. If it was more often and for longer trips at highway speeds than I would look for something more robust.

Something like this: example7.jpg

I found that one here.

·
Registered
11,923 Posts
What does the operator's manual say about hauling?

·
Registered
770 Posts
We transport on a trailer between a couple fields, maybe 12-15 times a season.

The ugly Red shop rag with the boogers and grease on it, that dwells under the truck seat, gets shoved in the exhaust.

Have even used a ball of Lug tape a time or two. Anything will work.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
So the theory is: Air is blown down the stack, through the turbo, into some open intake valves and back out the air cleaner...? Don't know that much about turbos, but I'd sure want to keep moisture out of the exhaust.

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
So the theory is: Air is blown down the stack, through the turbo, into some open intake valves and back out the air cleaner...? Don't know that much about turbos, but I'd sure want to keep moisture out of the exhaust.
It could also be turned from the negative air pressure created in the stack when the wind is passing over it-the "Venturi Effect"

Here's an interesting video that does a goo job explaining it-especially the last experiment he does!

·
Registered
251 Posts
learning

The more you know the more you find out you don't know. Thanks for sharing this information. I just ordered a new one and will let my dealer know I want that pipe covered before transporting! You would think they would already know this but I am not confident about what all of them know! This also brings up another possible thought and wonder if it is to late since I ordered it yesterday. I think they can make them so the exhaust is under or to the side of the tractor. Any thoughts on whether or not that is a good idea??

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
The more you know the more you find out you don't know. Thanks for sharing this information. I just ordered a new one and will let my dealer know I want that pipe covered before transporting! You would think they would already know this but I am not confident about what all of them know! This also brings up another possible thought and wonder if it is to late since I ordered it yesterday. I think they can make them so the exhaust is under or to the side of the tractor. Any thoughts on whether or not that is a good idea??
What model did you order?

I know some are available with a down exhaust. jdparts shows it for my 6415, I plan to change to it.

Some say the fumes will come up and bother the operator.

My 2030 has the down exhaust. No problem with fumes, except hooking something to the 3pt with it running.

You see a lot of loader tractors with vertical exhausts and soot on the loader boom where it passes the exhaust during a lift.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What model did you order?

I know some are available with a down exhaust. jdparts shows it for my 6415, I plan to change to it.

Some say the fumes will come up and bother the operator.

My 2030 has the down exhaust. No problem with fumes, except hooking something to the 3pt with it running.

You see a lot of loader tractors with vertical exhausts and soot on the loader boom where it passes the exhaust during a lift.
Thanks! I ordered a little 5045E

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
I am not sure if you can order the down exhaust, but they sell it in parts. If you want it, get it now, it will be cheaper than buying thru parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
I am not sure if you can order the down exhaust, but they sell it in parts. If you want it, get it now, it will be cheaper than buying thru parts.
Ya, I don't know if I want it or don't. I would think it might be helpful in dealing with brush and trees if you have many of them to work in and around. Don't know.:unknown:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ya, I don't know if I want it or don't. I would think it might be helpful in dealing with brush and trees if you have many of them to work in and around. Don't know.:unknown:
Ya, well, found out I can't get it in my garage. I have about 6 inches to much height! Any thoughts on cutting it down and putting a flapper on it? Would it be blowing back in my face?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts