Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else moving hay?

Got that load today, took two of us about an hour and a half to load. 300 square bales at 50 lbs (minimum) per bale. Hopefully we're set for the winter now, but I may put out a round bale or two if we don't get some rain just to take a little strain off the pastures.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Anyone else moving hay?

Got that load today, took two of us about an hour and a half to load. 300 square bales at 50 lbs (minimum) per bale. Hopefully we're set for the winter now, but I may put out a round bale or two if we don't get some rain just to take a little strain off the pastures.
I just got a load yesterday. I was putting it up in my barn, half way done, started noticing a few wet bales, then a few more, then some moldy hot ones, then a few more. Went and got a moisture probe...25-35% . I ended up putting it all back on the trailer and taking it back:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: I was so F###ing P###ed.
I pulled the wagon with my 4720, that was the best part:good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,068 Posts
I just got a load yesterday. I was putting it up in my barn, half way done, started noticing a few wet bales, then a few more, then some moldy hot ones, then a few more. Went and got a moisture probe...25-35% . I ended up putting it all back on the trailer and taking it back:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown: I was so F###ing P###ed.
Bad hay is so aggravating. Hay in general has to be the worst headache with having large animals.

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not so bad, if you're set up to handle it.

Granted, it can be hard to see that when you're throwing bales off the trailer and stacking them by yourself. Something about being set up to handle it? :lol:

·
Registered
190 Posts
big bales

Yes even here in Alaska we do hay. I drove down to Delta Junction and picked up a load on the deck over flatbead this last weekend. I've been getting the large (800 lb) square bales for years. They stack nice on the trailer but definitely require a tractor to move around. I got a set of forks for my tractor and it goes smooth. The 800lb bales are right at the upper limits of my 3005 though. I put in 10 bales and have two more loads to go (10 bales each). It seems like a fall routine for us. It is definitely fall up here and the leaves are turning yellow on the trees. Summer is just about gone. Sad sigh. Filling the barn with hay seems to be part of life when you have horses.
Thank goodness forr no moist bales.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good job on recognizing the hot bales:thumbup1gif: !!! Barn fires from wet hay burn HOT, and FOR EVER !!!

·
Administrator
20,973 Posts
We downed 48 acres today. Someone will be busy in a couple days.
Just curious... What did you use? A mower-conditioner, or disc mower and a rake, or something else?

·
Premium Member
10,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We downed 48 acres today. Someone will be busy in a couple days.
When do y'all usually cut? Hay season hit us late down here, and the farmer I deal with waited even longer than most. Worked out very well though, he has top quality stuff. Said he had 800 acres that he sprayed and fertilized this year. Not a stem or weed in any of it, either. :good2:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Just curious... What did you use? A mower-conditioner, or disc mower and a rake, or something else?
My 997.

Just kidding, it's a 9 foot disk bine with a crimper. It's my brother in laws. He uses a Massy to pull it:mocking:

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
When do y'all usually cut? Hay season hit us late down here, and the farmer I deal with waited even longer than most. Worked out very well though, he has top quality stuff. Said he had 800 acres that he sprayed and fertilized this year. Not a stem or weed in any of it, either. :good2:
It's late for us too, we got that 12 inches of snow May 2nd, then it won''t quit raining. All the hay is over ripe. We have a few days of good forcast, so half the county was cutting hay today (1st crop). The first cut in the first or second week of June is common. 60% of the alfalfa crop in SE Minnesota winter killed. We got pretty lucky. We are going to bale 8 acres of pasture this year too (that's the 8 in the 48 acres), just because we don't need the pasture and hay is going to be so scarce.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
With our drought, I may be really glad that I stocked up last year! I want another 100 bales in the hay barn, and 4-6 round bales too, but might not happen. I usually "over buy" hay when it is available, since one never knows what the next year will be like. Might lose some nutrition, but is clean and under cover, so keeps them happy!

I'm jealous of y'all getting the hay, but don't enjoy stacking it in the haybarn by myself.

Reactions: arlen

·
Administrator
20,973 Posts
My 997.

Just kidding, it's a 9 foot disk bine with a crimper. It's my brother in laws. He uses a Massy to pull it:mocking:
Disk bine w/ a crimper? Could you elaborate a touch for us "no-hay-knowledge" folk? :lol:

Is a disc bine a disc cutter?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Disk bine w/ a crimper? Could you elaborate a touch for us "no-hay-knowledge" folk? :lol:

Is a disc bine a disc cutter?
I suppose a disc bine with a crimper is a mower conditioner with roll type conditioner and yes the cutting aspect would be with discs. I think John deere puts MoCo on the side of theirs. Nine feet is pretty much at the small end of the size spectrum. The other alternative is flail type conditioner.

·
Registered
28 Posts

Cut about 30 acres Saturday, looks like it's going to get washed before it dries. Got another 40 or so to cut sometime if it stops raining. On the plus side with the poor drying weather we've had all year I'm getting lots of mileage out of renting out my wrapper.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Got 26 round bales off our 8 acre pasture. I was pretty happy with that. There is no alfalfa in it, but it has lots of timothy and brome, so it will still make excellent feed.
The 4720 was great for loading the trailer. I didn't have any problems going 2 high on the trailer. It was much more maneuverable than the the big Massey that by brother in law had on site, and the hydro tranny was a big hit. I had a guy come help me pick up all the loose hay that the baler missed too. Hay is too scarce this year to waste any..

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts