Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When hauling on a flatbed do you tie your tractors down or just rely on gravity and friction. What do you tie down with if you do?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
When hauling on a flatbed do you tie your tractors down or just rely on gravity and friction. What do you tie down with if you do?

Gravity and friction. Are you kidding?
Depends on how large of a tractor you have. Ratchet straps or chains & binders.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a jd 4010 MCUT. It's about 2k with the loader.

·
Registered
649 Posts

YES!!! you want to tie it down.

Doug

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Chains and binders....1 for each corner and at least 1 good strap for each implement

·
Registered
97 Posts
I use the 15,000lb. rachet straps from TSC. They do a good job on a SCUT or CUT. If it were a "heavy" tractor,I would go to chains and binders. Most states have regulations on tie down use. Four corner tie down is usually it. I took a machine to Canada a couple years ago and was checked, going in, for proper tie down.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Gravity and friction...lol. that's a good one. Let Johnny Law catch you hauling something like that not secured....lol.

even most riding mowers would fall off a flatbed if not properly secured for a ride.

wow......

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think gravity and friction will get you a ticket and a tow. I see a lot of straps but prefer chains and binders for peace of mind. There are very strict rules about this you might want to ask your local PD where to find out what is required in your state. It's not your mower you should worry about but who it could hit when it jumps off tour gravity pad.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I hauled an old oil burner furnace on my landscape trailer one time. I figured it was so heavy that it wasn't going anywhere. Looked in my mirror as the trailer went over some railroad tracks. That burner jumped about a foot off the deck. NEVER AGAIN! The full 55 gallon drum that was on the front of my trailer (same trip) was tied down. Didn't move an inch.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Whether it's in the back of a truck or on a trailer, I NEVER tie anything down. That's what gravity is for. I am also schooled enough in physics to know that the law that states "an object in motion tends to stay in motion" is overridden by the law of gravity, so you never have to worry about your load shifting if you have to brake hard or accelerate quickly. Gotta love that Isaac Newton guy! I'm not sure why those laws of physics that I thought I knew so well were ignored back in in 1978 (when I was a newly licensed driver) as I was hauling a not-strapped-down, brand new fiberglass bathtub (in a cardboard box) down the interstate at 70 mph. It lifted out of the back of the truck, pretty as you please, and then (thankfully) skidded across the lane on to the shoulder when it landed.

OK, back to being serious... I can't add much to what the others have said, but for gosh sakes - tie the darn thing down! After the bathtub incident of '78, I now over do it with straps and haven't lost anything since. When I rented a Bobcat trailer to haul my Cub home, the guy at the rental place said that the law now requires chains instead of ratchet straps. I don't know if that's true or not, but that's what I used on the tractor. Also, don't forget to secure the FEL. I was talking to a guy that used to work at the JD dealership that related a story about hauling a tractor where the FEL moved from the position that it was placed when parked on the flatbed.

And secure the axles or somewhere solid on the tractor. Don't be "that guy" that places a ratchet strap across the floor of the operator's station and calls it "good". Yeah, I've seen the current delivery guy from the local JD do that. :banghead:

Be safe. Over-secure your load!

·
Registered
438 Posts

Magnets...the ceramic rare earth type!

·
Registered
523 Posts
I get very concern when i drive and i have ahead of me a trailer in tow I wonder if will not loose the trailer or samething from the trailer It happen few times near death :kidw_truck_smiley: Make sure you have the right trailer/right truck/right hitch use ratchet chains:greentractorride:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just bought a new truck to haul the $6K tractor I bought. :yahoo:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Just bought a new truck to haul the $6K tractor I bought. :yahoo:
I have done this same thing (maybe more than once). Wonder how many of us on GTT has bought trucks after buying a tractor because we "needed" more truck for the tractor?

Congrats on the new tow vehicle to accessorize the tractor.

After reading the rest of the thread, buy some chains and/or straps. Gravity can be cruel. I have never fell off something and busted my a$$ thinking "man I'm glad gravity kept it from hurting or making me sore"

·
Premium Member
10,929 Posts
I hauled an old oil burner furnace on my landscape trailer one time. I figured it was so heavy that it wasn't going anywhere. Looked in my mirror as the trailer went over some railroad tracks. That burner jumped about a foot off the deck. NEVER AGAIN! The full 55 gallon drum that was on the front of my trailer (same trip) was tied down. Didn't move an inch.
Imagine what would have happened to the oil burner and drum if had you been involved in a collision.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Think I've got enough chain for the job, just need to get a couple binders. Would something like this work. Got Amazon prime, so no shipping and they cost about $50 at the local coop. https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Ratchet-Chain-Binder/dp/B002A03F3C/ref=sr_1_118?ie=UTF8&qid=1488477954&sr=8-118&keywords=chain+binder

My boss said for the front of the tractor he hooks chains around the FEL and curls the bucket to tighten. Will that work? I do have newly welded chain hooks on my FEL and do trust my welds to hold.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Think I've got enough chain for the job, just need to get a couple binders. Would something like this work. Got Amazon prime, so no shipping and they cost about $50 at the local coop. https://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Duty-Ratchet-Chain-Binder/dp/B002A03F3C/ref=sr_1_118?ie=UTF8&qid=1488477954&sr=8-118&keywords=chain+binder

My boss said for the front of the tractor he hooks chains around the FEL and curls the bucket to tighten. Will that work? I do have newly welded chain hooks on my FEL and do trust my welds to hold.
I see tractors secured by the fel often but it's never been something I felt cool with. I have always used the front axle to secure the front and i have a clevis on my drawbar that I secure from for the back. I'm not saying my way is right or the best way by any means, it works for me and I'm comfortable with it. When I haul my tractor without the loader on I secure from the frame where you would hang weights.

·
Registered
11,753 Posts
I see tractors secured by the fel often but it's never been something I felt cool with. I have always used the front axle to secure the front and i have a clevis on my drawbar that I secure from for the back. I'm not saying my way is right or the best way by any means, it works for me and I'm comfortable with it. When I haul my tractor without the loader on I secure from the frame where you would hang weights.

now don't quote me -on this but i think to be by the law-with a loader on ur tractor, u should strap or chain the loader down also, evenlo it is attached to the tractor. same as having a brush hog on the back that is hooked to the tractor. just my 2cts, as i've been away from DOT load securement for yrs now. if the DOT cop likes how u have it tied down-then i suppose u pass, and that would hold up in a court of law, in case ur involved in a bad wreck-right.
personally i don't tie my own loader frame down either. one 10,000lb strap over the front end, and one on the rear. good to go. for just the tractor-oh.

·
Registered
301 Posts
There is some pretty pertinent information contained in this gentleman's video series that would help you make educated decisions and choices based on your individual situation.

I have no affiliation with the gentleman or his videos, I simply think that this is not a place to skimp, for your own safety and protection your investments ( truck, trailer, tractor, ect.) and everyone on the road ( who can't drive responsibly once they see you towing a trailer hauling your tractor).

So much consideration has to go into the decision to pull out on the road with a trailer in tow. This is just one of the equally important parts.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
[/B]

now don't quote me -on this but i think to be by the law-with a loader on ur tractor, u should strap or chain the loader down also, evenlo it is attached to the tractor. same as having a brush hog on the back that is hooked to the tractor. just my 2cts, as i've been away from DOT load securement for yrs now. if the DOT cop likes how u have it tied down-then i suppose u pass, and that would hold up in a court of law, in case ur involved in a bad wreck-right.
personally i don't tie my own loader frame down either. one 10,000lb strap over the front end, and one on the rear. good to go. for just the tractor-oh.
I have no clue what the federal or state of KY laws are regarding the loader and implements being secured. Obviously the officers that has pulled me over or has written the reports for the fender benders I have been part of didn't know either or simply didn't take the time to cite me for it. I don't doubt it being a good ideal but until forced, I personally am not going to be securing my loader or implements that are on the 3 point down. I expect it to change but the state of KY has been very relaxed on the trucks running around here with agriculture registration and plates so perhaps that has been the reasoning for not being ticketed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts