Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned a JD 2210 SCUT for 7-10 years and keep up on maintenance very well, Just have a ? on the cranking and starting, It seems to crank for 20-25 seconds, before firing and then it doesn't always start when it's cold, In warm weather cranks about the same but when it fires it stays running, Have thought it might be cranking amps of battery but looking to see what others may THINK, :bigthumb:

THANKS,
WALTMART

·
Corndog Hater
11,688 Posts
I've found in the extreme cold that cycling the glow plugs 2 or 3 times, allows for the tractor to start a little easier.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep do use the glow plug cycle,

I've found in the extreme cold that cycling the glow plugs 2 or 3 times, allows for the tractor to start a little easier.
I always use the glow plug cycle in cold weather, Starts about the same as warm weather as far as CRANKING TIME!
Just seems to take a long cranking time before firing, Just seems 2 long, HAs done this since I have owned it, Just curious

THANKS,

Waltmart

·
Administrator
18,002 Posts
Pull the PTO switch up, turn the key to START for 10-15 seconds to preheat the glow plugs, then push in the switch in and then try to start, it should fire right up. You can also do the same withteh shift lever if your safety switches are not bypassed.

The glow plugs on these tractors only come on while cranking, so in cold weather each system is struggling for current from the battery.

You could also have a bad glow plug or two...

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Maybe the injector pump timing or injectors? :dunno:

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
I have owned a JD 2210 SCUT for 7-10 years and keep up on maintenance very well, Just have a ? on the cranking and starting, It seems to crank for 20-25 seconds, before firing and then it doesn't always start when it's cold, In warm weather cranks about the same but when it fires it stays running, Have thought it might be cranking amps of battery but looking to see what others may THINK, :bigthumb:

THANKS,
WALTMART
Pull the PTO switch up, turn the key to START for 10-15 seconds to preheat the glow plugs, then push in the switch in and then try to start, it should fire right up. You can also do the same withteh shift lever if your safety switches are not bypassed.

The glow plugs on these tractors only come on while cranking, so in cold weather each system is struggling for current from the battery.

Waltmart. 7-10 years for a question probably solved in 1.5 hrs. Whew your patient. Just kidding, I figured we would make you feel right at home right away. :laugh: Nice job Kenny.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

Yep my brother has the same tractor,had a hard time starting it till he found out about the pto switch.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If the glow plugs is only on when cranking then what is activated with the key on? If I turn the key to run and wait a couple seconds a relay clicks off. I always thought that was the glow plug relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,002 Posts
If the glow plugs is only on when cranking then what is activated with the key on? If I turn the key to run and wait a couple seconds a relay clicks off. I always thought that was the glow plug relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think that's the fuel pump your hearing. Take a voltmeter and hook to the plugs to verify...maybe I'm wrong but the older 4100's and 4110's where that way, and pretty sure we verified this on my neighbors 2210 as well.

·
Registered
22,752 Posts
Maybe the injector pump timing or injectors? :dunno:
I am thinking in this direction also being it does the same in the warm months.

Maybe a slight leak somewhere in the fuel delivery. Not enough to actually leak fuel but enough for the injectors or pump to loose their prime.

I think I would go over all the fittings with a wrench plus double check the fuel filters are tight.

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Hiya,

The engine in the 2210 is an indirect injection type that uses a small pre-chamber to initiate the combustion event. These type engines normally do spin over longer when starting. The 330 and 430 I had cranked longer than the direct injection engines on the 2520's and 3320.

Now, another aspect to consider is a delay built into the secondary fuel pump that forces the engine to crank without fuel for 2 or 3 revolutions in order to clear the cylinders of any unburnt fuel before supplying fresh fuel to start. I'm not sure Deere or Yanmar would have implemented this on the engines of that vintage however this has become mandated in recent years on on-road engines.

Indirect engines do benefit from a higher cetane rating of the fuel so I would look to a fuel treatment that boosts cetane numbers as well as one designed to clean combustion deposits as the pre-chambers can get crusty deposits over time and that will cause the engine to spin longer before lighting off.

The glow plug notes above are great and I would think about yanking them to see if they are in good condition, they do wear over time and should be considered an item to be replaced at some point.

·
Registered
88 Posts
2210 Block Heater

Hi there,

I have a 2210 as well and love it, great machine for what I need it to do. I had a block heater put in for a couple of reasons: 1st) I did not like cranking away until it fired in the cold 2) wanted to reduce wear on the engine, starter and battery. They are like $75.00 on ebay or the dealer can put in for like $200.00.

I would never run a diesel engine without 1. Lets face it most diesel trucks have them for a reason. The bonus is not having that big plume of black smoke and listening to the engine chug when 1st starting from dead cold. Only need to plug in for about an hour before starting, so plug it in have a cup of coffee and go out out and fire it up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts