Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a backyard, well front to that trap tons of oak leaves every fall in a fenced backyard. Leaves that use to blow away are now trapped and it's all hands on kind of thing. I hurt to much for that these days, so I've been mulching them with the mower and the first to seasons it did not work out to great. The last time, I ran the pto at (if I remember correctly) around 2-25k RPM to mulch and it did really great. But I use a lot more diesel and not use to that. I usual idle around mowing and works great that way.

I seen some talk about you should not have a mulch kit installed when using Gator Blades. But there is not info on that part of it.

So I am asking who here uses the Gator Blades with the mulch kit?
And if you do, do you run the blades full time?

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm betting that part of your problem with poor performance is the mower blade speed. Open up the wallet and speed up that engine. Sure, you might burn a little more fuel, but you wouldn't idle a push mower through a pile of oak leaves? right? Run that throttle up to 3000 rpm and slow down the travel speed... It will cut and mulch better. Sharp blades help too. You could also try and spread them out so they're not so thick....

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I have a backyard, well front to that trap tons of oak leaves every fall in a fenced backyard. Leaves that use to blow away are now trapped and it's all hands on kind of thing. I hurt to much for that these days, so I've been mulching them with the mower and the first to seasons it did not work out to great. The last time, I ran the pto at (if I remember correctly) around 2-25k RPM to mulch and it did really great. But I use a lot more diesel and not use to that. I usual idle around mowing and works great that way.

I seen some talk about you should not have a mulch kit installed when using Gator Blades. But there is not info on that part of it.

So I am asking who here uses the Gator Blades with the mulch kit?
And if you do, do you run the blades full time?
I have tried both the gator blades and the original Deere mulching blades with my mulch kit. The Deere mulching blades do a better job with leaves.
I have the gator blades on now to experiment with the first heavy grass of spring. I am thinking they might have better 'lift', but will soon find out.

Overall, I plan to go back to the Deere mulching blades unless my experiment provides dramatic surprise.

Too bad, because the Deere mulching blades are not cheap, and no one else seems to make the contoured blades like that.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I'm with ErikR on this one. Throttle up to rated pto speed, reduce ground speed a bit and I'm betting you see different results. I have the mulch kit on my 60" mmm and have gone through 8" high grass and it chopped it right up. Even mowed in the rain once and it worked. Keep the blades sharp, the deck underside clean and throttle up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I have tried both the gator blades and the original Deere mulching blades with my mulch kit. The Deere mulching blades do a better job with leaves.
I have the gator blades on now to experiment with the first heavy grass of spring. I am thinking they might have better 'lift', but will soon find out.

Overall, I plan to go back to the Deere mulching blades unless my experiment provides dramatic surprise.

Too bad, because the Deere mulching blades are not cheap, and no one else seems to make the contoured blades like that.
I'd be interested to see how it works Tim. I usually cut grass at 3.5" in the summer and mulch it. The Deere mulch blades chop grass up, but the lift isn't real good. Was going to see if the mulch kit and a set of gator G6 blades provided more lift yet still mulched. I didn't bag any leaves this past fall. Ran them through the mmm with the Deere mulching blades instead.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have Gator blades on both my 60" JD deck, w/o a mulch kit, and on my 60" Toro Z-Master.

The Gator blades are on my JD mower because I had bent one of the original JD blades and they seemed to be a cost effective replacement. The Gator blades are built heavier than the oem blades, and I did have an issue with them being app .125" too long...which apparently is a common issue. I replaced the Toro blades just because they were worn from normal usage. I haven't seen any performance improvements in lift or mulching/size reduction with the Gator blades. They do seem to hold an edge better and I believe they make more noise...likely from the "serrated" lift edge.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I'm with ErikR on this one. Throttle up to rated pto speed, reduce ground speed a bit and I'm betting you see different results. I have the mulch kit on my 60" mmm and have gone through 8" high grass and it chopped it right up. Even mowed in the rain once and it worked. Keep the blades sharp, the deck underside clean and throttle up.

I didn't even notice that in the original post. Yes. I run wide open throttle when mowing. You want those blades spinning fast...at LEAST at rated PTO speed!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.

Exactly what I did last leaf season. As for grass, well I don't have much so mowing at low pto speed did not any issues. The last mulching took the paint off underneath the deck.
It still looked new last April, now my poor tractor looks old when you left it's skirt.

Since my mulch blades are now three years old and I have to buy new ones, I was just curious if the Gators would be a better choice. I do hit tons of rock, they seemed to grow rapidly here in Missouri. I try to miss them and mostly do, but it happens. I'm surprised that they don't have bends in them if you know what I mean. And if you show me a bent blade, I hate to see what you hit. But then again, mowing grass, I'm mostly at idle or a tad higher.

It'll be three years old this July, and have 94.5 hours on it.
AND
I have never taken off the air filter. I started to once, put looked like a pain in the butt. I tried the dirt cup or whatever it's called?? You pinch it and it drops the dirt. Never seen anything come out of it, so I have not been real worried about it yet.

So should I worry about it or should I take it apart and have a look?

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
air filter is EZ

Go ahead and open it up. It's easier than it looks.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
As the others have said , speed it up a bit . I have the Gator G6 on mine and for me , they seem to good job , but my yard is not overly burdened with leaves . Good luck !!! :cheers:

and btw timmarks , let us know how yours do .:munch::munch:

Reactions: ky_shawn

·
Registered
36 Posts
I mow about 8 acres per week starting in March through October with my 62c mower deck. I have used both new JD OEM and new Gators. In my opinion, based on the experience that I have... I would definitely go with the Gator blades over the JD OEM blades. They Gator blades seem to have held a sharp edge longer, seem to have more lift to keep the grass suspended under the deck for mulching and have been more resistant to damage from hitting rocks and things of that nature.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I mow about 8 acres per week starting in March through October with my 62c mower deck. I have used both new JD OEM and new Gators. In my opinion, based on the experience that I have... I would definitely go with the Gator blades over the JD OEM blades. They Gator blades seem to have held a sharp edge longer, seem to have more lift to keep the grass suspended under the deck for mulching and have been more resistant to damage from hitting rocks and things of that nature.
Thanks, I have decided to go ahead and order some. Price is right, so why not. And if they last longer than stock, plus one on that. As for a regular mow, I'll won't really know. Unless I can get some K31 going. Looks like it to late for that............again. We've been having record warm days in the last month. Heck, one day it was 80 or 82°.....in Feb. I might just plain some cactus. :banghead:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yes please post back on you findings. I'll do the same after this mow season.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thanks, I have decided to go ahead and order some. Price is right, so why not. And if they last longer than stock, plus one on that. As for a regular mow, I'll won't really know. Unless I can get some K31 going. Looks like it to late for that............again. We've been having record warm days in the last month. Heck, one day it was 80 or 82°.....in Feb. I might just plain some cactus. :banghead:
I may have to buy a set of the gator blades, I wasn't overly impressed with the mulching kit/blades for the 54" deck. Let us know how you like them later this spring.
It's absolutely crazy the weather we've been having. Just about everything is budding out and I've killed tons of mosquitos in February:banghead:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Tried the Gators out this last season on my X540 with a 54" deck. I think that they held up better then the stock blades. I'm just doing the side discharge method. Even scalped a large tree root and the turf a few times.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I may have to buy a set of the gator blades, I wasn't overly impressed with the mulching kit/blades for the 54" deck. Let us know how you like them later this spring.
It's absolutely crazy the weather we've been having. Just about everything is budding out and I've killed tons of mosquitos in February:banghead:
Same here, I'm happy with their ability to mulch leaves but I don't like the way they cut certain grass types. Some grass it appears they just laid the grass over rather than lifting and cutting it. Other grass types they cut clean, was a bit frustrating last season having to mow over some ares twice to get a decent cut.

Reactions: joshn3448
1 - 16 of 16 Posts