Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's wrong with this picture?

IMG_20170903_174211185.jpg

Am I missing something in the nomenclature? Shouldn't there be a black wire and only one bare wire in a 14/3 with ground Romex sheath?

Or is this a 250 ft roll of defective wire (my thought)?

This is not making me happy.....

Lee

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
Wow. There must be a whole lot of defective wire out there.

You'd think something that simple would've been caught by QC. Perhaps there isn't a QC at that plant? :unknown: Either way, that's pretty sad....

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
And now for the sad part, I discovered this when I went to install a light switch. I am in drywall, I have this same wire running between boxes that are now all closed in with drywall. I am livid. I am sure I will get my money back for the roll, but what the heck do I do with the wire that is stapled behind the drywall?

This is so frustrating.

Lee

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
And now for the sad part, I discovered this when I went to install a light switch. I am in drywall, I have this same wire running between boxes that are now all closed in with drywall. I am livid. I am sure I will get my money back for the roll, but what the heck do I do with the wire that is stapled behind the drywall?

This is so frustrating.

Lee
Lawsuit?

·
Administrator
20,670 Posts
Doesn't that seem a bit extreme for some drywall?

I know it's a pain in the rear, but a lawsuit seems way over the top IMHO.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doesn't that seem a bit extreme for some drywall?

I know it's a pain in the rear, but a lawsuit seems way over the top IMHO.
Yeah, I don't think anyone but the attorneys would gain from a lawsuit. BUT, I do think HD owes me something. I think I will have better odds with them than with wire company. Luckily it is only a couple runs. But, it would be a lot of drywall demo to run replacement wire. I am more inclined to look into alternatives for 3 way switches that don't require the traveler wire.

Lee

·
Registered
164 Posts
You should have noticed this before you wall boarded. In Michigan when I did my last addition the wiring sheath had to be stripped, the grounds tied together and cut to the proper length to pass the electrical rough inspection. In my opinion you should always strip the sheath as you are inserting it in the box as it's all to easy to cut a conductor when the cable is already in the box. I don't mean to be pouring salt on your wound. Hope you get your problem solved.
Ron

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You should have noticed this before you wall boarded. In Michigan when I did my last addition the wiring sheath had to be stripped, the grounds tied together and cut to the proper length to pass the electrical rough inspection. In my opinion you should always strip the sheath as you are inserting it in the box as it's all to easy to cut a conductor when the cable is already in the box. I don't mean to be pouring salt on your wound. Hope you get your problem solved.
Ron
That is interesting but definitely not how it is done here. Clearly, I can see value in this scenario but also question why I should have to verify that a wire is manufactured correctly. This will definitely proved to be a learning experience. I think that the solution will be to use the the Lutron Maestro switches or something similar. These switches don't use the traveler at all. I have used these before but should not have to in this scenario. The worse part is, this is just for a hallway run of lights. There is no need for dimming or remote control!

Lee

·
Registered
990 Posts
Ron
Same in Massachusetts. The "code" is nationwide. Each state amends it as they see fit, some states ignore it altogether and then again so do some inspectors!

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I have been doing wiring for over 40 years. I have never seen 2 grounds in romex.

I do not know what the code is here, but I always strip off the insulation after pulling the wire into the box.
As others have said, the problem should have been found by QC, but it should have also been found by the installer before the drywall went up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts