Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had a chance to ride this machine yet? I have been on old gators but nothing like this one.

“The Gator takes a huge evolutionary step forward with the launch of the new Gator RSX850i,” said David Gigandet, marketing manager, Gator utility vehicles. “Gators have always been known for durability, utility and safety. The RSX maintains all these qualities at its core, but the incredible power, exhilarating speed and precision handling are what set it apart in our portfolio. It’s the Gator fully evolved.”

http://blog.machinefinder.com/8856/introducing-the-brand-new-2012-john-deere-gator-rsx850i

Attachments

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Looks like it would be fun! And a big plus for it is...when driving it you cant see how ugly it is. Dang....where do they come up with these star wars designs? ....or is everyone on medical marijuana nowadays?

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I think the RSX is really cool, but I think Deere would have been better to make an extremely rugged, powerful, versatile UTV with a little speed for more competition against Kubota. I don't see someone looking for a speed machine stumbling into the Deere dealer, but I do see someone who wants a real workhorse. I'd like to have seen more competition with Kubota than Polaris, but hey, it's still a pretty cool machine, just not for me.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
I think the RSX is really cool, but I think Deere would have been better to make an extremely rugged, powerful, versatile UTV with a little speed for more competition against Kubota. I don't see someone looking for a speed machine stumbling into the Deere dealer, but I do see someone who wants a real workhorse. I'd like to have seen more competition with Kubota than Polaris, but hey, it's still a pretty cool machine, just not for me.
I agree 100%. My friend Wayne has a RTV and it is really slick to drive except when the tranny gets all bound up trying to go from forward to reverse.

I would love to see a JD UTV with power steering and a hydrostatic tranny setup just like the tractors with two pedals so you wouldn't have to shift form forward to reverse.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Looks like it would be fun! And a big plus for it is...when driving it you cant see how ugly it is. Dang....where do they come up with these star wars designs? ....or is everyone on medical marijuana nowadays?
I don't like them either. It seems to be the same thinking as current car designs. I hope I don't offend anyone, but it is yet another reason that I bought a 2320. Oh well, if I did offend, it certainly isn't the first time.

Don

·
Registered
440 Posts
I don't like them either. It seems to be the same thinking as current car designs. I hope I don't offend anyone, but it is yet another reason that I bought a 2320. Oh well, if I did offend, it certainly isn't the first time.

Don
:lol::lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I agree 100%. My friend Wayne has a RTV and it is really slick to drive except when the tranny gets all bound up trying to go from forward to reverse.

I would love to see a JD UTV with power steering and a hydrostatic tranny setup just like the tractors with two pedals so you wouldn't have to shift form forward to reverse.
I think something like the Bobcat Toolcat, without the loader would make an awesome UTV. It's slow at 18MPH, but that could be changed. The specs are great and could be an awesome workhorse. The loader on it is gimmicky to me though. Just some sort of quick attach that you could run a snow plow, blower or sweeper off. I'm really surprised they don't pursue this sort of market as it's more in JD's league. They could pull something off with the Toolcat specs/HP (maybe not quite the full 56), with 25-30MPH, lot's of hydraulic options for versatility, full cab with heat/air for the low 20's and I think it would be much more of a game changer than what they've introduced with the RSX. I'd definitely be one of the first to get one. The more I look at the RTV1100, the nicer it looks, that orange paint is just god awful though:thumbsdown: The styling on it is much worse than the RSX in my opinion.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
I had one of those Bobcats where I used to work. It was great!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1343789825.569350.jpg

The loader was pretty nice. A/C, heat, 2 or 4 wheel steer with crab option, hydraulic dump bed, and rear PTO. The only bad part was it had a belt driven hydraulic pump that ate belts on a regular basis.

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I think something like the Bobcat Toolcat
You read my mind. Heat/air, hydraulics, diesel.
to kenny's point, a hydro would be great.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I think we all should become JD engineers :) They could pull something out with all those features for a halfway reasonable price, I'd be all over it.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I just hope JD really did their R&D work this time around. Sux having to see the owners and techs do it for them after the fact. When I was last in class I saw crate after crate of the new engines from the test vehicles. Not a pretty sight. I dont have that warm fuzzy.
Still having many issues with drivetrain and engine problems on the 825i with the 3 cyl Chinese motor.
Time will tell. No way would I rush out and be the first to buy one!

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
I too am surprised JD took this direction. I wonder how much eHydro would add to the price, too much in my opinion.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I was on the fence if I liked this or not. The Polaris has it beat on paper comparing specs but I have to say after seeing it in person I am more impressed. I didn't get a chance to drive it but the quality is much better. The Polaris just feels cheaper in regards to fit, finish and choice of materials. I am not trying to knock Polaris and again I didn't drive it so I am really interested in a real world review.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
I havnt seen one yet, but the RSX850i looks like it would be great for the trails in northern Wi.:thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
I actually saw one in person when I was dropping my 110 off the other day. Didn't go look at it close just because I was short on time, but from first impressions I thought it looked better in person than video. Whatever that means :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I looked at one at the dealer tonight. Its good competition for the polaris rzr 800. I like the doors but it felt small on the interior. I am unsure if its sprts qualities will stand up to the other that have been doing this much longer. Quality of fit and finish seemed about exact to my polaris xp 900.

Sent via TapaTalk from a hunting blind near you. :)

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I was at the Deere dealer yesterday and there is already a stop sale and a stop use due to leaking fuel line causing fires. No fix in place yet.

·
Registered
429 Posts
It is really not fair to compare the RSX to the Polaris or other UTV's. That is not it's market place. The XUV 825i or XUV 850 (diesel) goes head to head with the Polaris Ranger, Bobcat, Honda Big Red, Arctic Cat Prowler, Bush Hog Trail, Case Scout, Husqvarna, Kawasaki Mule, Kubota RTV, and others. I am pretty sure the RSX is meant to put Deere in Sport UTV arena to complete against the aforementioned suppliers Sport UTV's not regular work UTV's.

I had the XUV 825i and it was a real workhorse. I carried posts, barbed wire, diggers, stretchers, shovels, chainsaws, and you name it on it. It was my fence machine. It is not the old slow Gator. The 825i would run about 47MPH also. I believe the RSX is meant to compete with the Rhino, Can Am Commander, RZR, and others like it. It can not though. It hasn't been around long enough. Not enough speed or off road capabilities. Both the Deere XUV 825i and the RSX unlike it's name do NOT like water. I lost 3 clutches under warranty in the 825i as did many other 825i owners. It spent about 3-4 months in the shop in the less than two years I had it. The sad part is the Chery China motor was the best part of the cart.

I looked at trading to an RSX but I found out they have the same issue with getting their feet wet as the XUV 825i does. Now, if you are high and dry most of the time or don't go in water deeper than 12 inches the XUV 825i is great. On the Gator forum there were poor souls trying to cross 12-18 inches of water and the belt start spinning leaving them stranded in the middle of a water crossing. Come on a mini van will cross 18 inches of water.

The new RSX can't compete with the others yet. It is down on horsepower and down on off-roading capability. I am sure design changes will come along to make it better. Things like relocating the battery, better sealed CVT, and higher snorkels.

Does anyone remember with Kubota first got here? Boy what a piece of junk it was. Now look at them. IF Deere stays in the UTV/Sport UTV arena it will get better but, it is definitely not there yet.

I was so disappointed in my XUV 825i and it's inability off road, I took a loss, sold it, and bought the Can Am Commander. The Commander and Gators are not in the same class but I needed something was not afraid to get it's feet wet besides my horse.

So there you have my two cents.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts