Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soooo..... I recently took delivery of a new 1025R with a FEL and 60" deck and this week I finally had an opportunity to get acquainted with it.
I managed to disconnect and reconnect the deck without a hiccup. Next was to try out the FEL .
I live on ten acres so it didn't take long to find an area to put it through the paces.
I was impressed with what this tractor can do. All I can say is I had a blast!

·
Registered
471 Posts
They are fun little machines that are definite workhorses! Btw, :wgtt:, but to a proper

member you must post lots of pictures of said fun, with the tractor:laugh:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Congrats on your equipment purchase.

:wgtt:

·
Registered
4,421 Posts

Welcome from New York. Have fun, but be safe. Good Luck with your new tractor.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
:congrats: And

:ttiwwp:

·
Premium Member
14,747 Posts
Congrats,, hope your dealer remember to mention you needed a Ballast Box.... You didn't mention it just hoping you had weight on the rear of tractor when using FEL.

·
Registered
12,337 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No my dealer didn't mention it. I have quickly learned that in need some type ballast weight. I'm torn between the ballast box or heavy hitch and weights. From what I've seen the box is a cheaper option, but the hitch and weights are less bulky, any suggestions?
I'm a green as my tractor so Any input would greatly appreciate.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,747 Posts
For me Ballast box, over the years of working around steel mills and working on heavy equipment he had lots of pieces of metal. So my ballast box has used cutting edges from D-9 or 10 dozer. Plus I've been given weights from a smaller dozer. When those aren't enough can find stones laying around .
Some of the guys put concrete in the ballast box, works but then you always have that amount of weight ,no matter if you may only need 200# in box .
Nothing wrong with the concrete and always the heavy weight , I'm normally not doing heavy lifting with mine all the time. So when I need the extra weight I can add more weight pretty quick .
Yes rear weights don't stick back as far as the ballast box , IMO and may be wrong in this thinking the extra length of the ballast box is where you benefit more so than with the weights. I know there is no correct answer but the ballast box is shown in the manual ..not weights.:dunno::dunno:

:munch::munch:

Others have made their own type ballast box of using concrete . Main thing is to have enough weight on the rear of the tractor to take the strain off the front axle and to help keep the tractor from tipping over and for the user to be safe.

What ever you choose , always keep the bucket low to the ground on uneven ground

:munch::munch::munch:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'd strongly recommend the heavy hitch setup. I started off getting the ballast box, I sold it for a small loss. Sure it's cheaper but in the long run I found out the hard way it only does one thing put weigh on the back oh and can configure it to carry tools. Other than that it sits low so if you have snow or dig into dirt mounts or have a lot of uneven land you will hit the bottom of it and also it sits out a bit from the back but doubt you have an issue with room on ten acres.

With the heavy hitch you can buy or make attachments to hook up to it, it's basically a Swiss Army knife you can do multiple things with it. I made a shelf that slides into the trailer hitch. I have a Imatch so it's a breeze to hook up. I just back up and move the homemade cart over and done, ready to go. I regret getting the ballast box at first but I learned and highly recommend you look at heavy hitch they have a good website too that shows a lot of add one for the hitch.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
Go with the suit case weights. You can't mount a ballast box on the front of your tractor and at some point you will need weights on the front. I'm one of those that hates to use the FEL for weight on the front when I don't need to use it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Go with the suit case weights. You can't mount a ballast box on the front of your tractor and at some point you will need weights on the front. I'm one of those that hates to use the FEL for weight on the front when I don't need to use it.
Worth repeating ↑↑↑

·
Premium Member
9,264 Posts
Congrats on you new toy and welcome to the site.

I'd also vote for the suitcase weights. They can also be added to a box blade or other implement for additional weight. There are lots of things they can be used for.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
Congrats on you new toy and welcome to the site.

I'd also vote for the suitcase weights. They can also be added to a box blade or other implement for additional weight. There are lots of things they can be used for.
:good2:

MYZ061080, Just throwing this out there, my dealer will not sell a tractor with a FEL without a ballast box or a backhoe. Some dealers throw in the ballast box.

·
Registered
180 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
:good2:

MYZ061080, Just throwing this out there, my dealer will not sell a tractor with a FEL without a ballast box or a backhoe. Some dealers throw in the ballast box.
The weight box was thrown in with my FEL, no cost, I do like the suitcase weight idea and is on my waiting for wife approval list:laugh:. The ballast box is a must, almost rolled my tractor :banghead: before I realized I forgot to put it on. Live and learn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts