Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

Picked up a new tiller for the 1026R. It's Hawkline Brand, but says right on it Behlen makes it. The sticker and much of the paint looks spot on to the TSC County Line Brand.

Gear drive and slipper clutch included. It's not the spring style the larger units have. In fact the PTO shield is Black, when all the others on the lot had spring style clutches and yellow PTO shields.

It didn't look like it'd be outside all that much, but the gear box input shaft was rusty. Had to be cleaned to get the PTO to slip on. I just used the wire wheel on the dremmel and it cleaned right up.

It wasn't too bad to mount up to the 1026R. The drive shaft didn't even need cut.

When the 3 point is all the way up there isn't a ton of clearance under the skids. In this pic they are still all the way down so the tiller can sit on the ground.

The guys at Bomgaar's gave me 2 quarts of gear oil and that didn't fill it up. The top gear box used one exactly. The side box took the other one and then some from a 2 gallon jug I already had. Not sure how much more thou. I'd bet $$ a 2 gallon jug would do the whole setup thou...

On the opposite side the bearing used A LOT of grease. I'd say 1/3 to 1/2 a tub of grease. Thankfully I have a Lincoln pneumatic grease gun and a spare tub.

Just under the decal saying the unit was shipped with out oil is the overflow plug.

Sorry this is the closest shot of the grease side.

All in all I'm very happy with the purchase. I never went real deep with it as today I was fixing some high spots in the yard. This summer I hope to eliminate the scalping and since the 60D is a fantastic deck I'm going to tweak my yard a little. The tiller chewed up the sod like it was nothing. I never gave it more than a little over idle for throttle. This thing is HEAVY. With no bucket on the loader it was getting lite going up hills. When you set it down the back of the tractor raises noticeably. I bet the motor could handle the 60" tiller, but that extra weight would really be noticeable. I'm more than happy with the 48"!
Hope this helps anyone in the market.

The skid system isn't the best, it works, but it could be better. It has nylock nuts and bolts so if you want to change height it takes some serious wrenches. 3/4" I think.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts

You mention wrenches needed to adjust the skids, is that just the operating height, or are wrenches needed to raise the skids from using them as a stand to the depth of cut position?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts

You mention wrenches needed to adjust the skids, is that just the operating height, or are wrenches needed to raise the skids from using them as a stand to the depth of cut position?
Very nice Mullet! Andy Regarding the bolts on the "skid feet" mine are bolted also, on my John Deere tiller. You really don't change them that much, maybe once a year, so it's not really a big deal. I keep a couple adjustable wrenches in the tractor tool box anyway.... ~Scotty

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

This model doesn't have the kickstands like I've seen on other tillers. So to park it you have to put the skids back down otherwise it won't stay up... I swear the 60" at TSC had a kickstand, but I don't remember for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice Mullet! Andy Regarding the bolts on the "skid feet" mine are bolted also, on my John Deere tiller. You really don't change them that much, maybe once a year, so it's not really a big deal. I keep a couple adjustable wrenches in the tractor tool box anyway.... ~Scotty
That's what I was thinking too. Does yours have leg that drop down to park yours?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
That's what I was thinking too. Does yours have leg that drop down to park yours?

I don't readjust the 'Skid Shoes' for parking. The unit just sits on the 'tines'. Thus, the 'Shoes' are 4-5" in the air! My unit I bought on E-Bay and I believe it was suppose to have a fold down parking leg to hold the front end up, much like a trailer parking stand. It was missing when I purchased it and I haven't replaced it. I usually just till Spring and Fall and the BH is on for the Summer. I don't have a Ballest Box, so I want either the Tiller or BH on for ballest for FEL use. ~Scotty

·
Registered
63 Posts
Very nice tiller!!:good2:

I cut some would blocks to put under my Maletti 48" tiller skid shoes to keep it from 'face planting' due to sitting on the tines..... cause I do not re-adjust shoes for parking and rarely adjust them for tilling.... Deeper, faster the fluff is made, the better.

The rear gate makes a natural kick-stand to keep it from rolling backwards......

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is sitting on the tailgate right now. It works, but I worry it'll tip forward. I'd like to make a cradle for it to sit in to keep it up off the ground. Just can't make it too tall or it won't lift it off.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
636. You should copy the kickstand that KK has on their 60". It's pretty simple. Heck... You may be able to order one thru Kk

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's crazy enough it just might work! :hi:

·
Registered
709 Posts
I picked up mine from TSC this past weekend. It is a 4' County Line and does have the kick stand on front. It is made by Behlen Country also. My PTO shaft is a little long though and needs about 3" taken off of it. I am going to see if it will be ok in length with an IMatch on my 3 point hitch. I am getting lazier and as often as I switch implements that may be a solution if I can adjust the top link connection on the tiller. Setting back further with the IMatch will hopefully allow a little extra lift height on the tiller also. I am not sure yet.

Reactions: 636mullet

·
Registered
709 Posts
The IMatch was a good investment. I swapped the position of the bolt and the top link pin at the top of the tiller and the IMatch fits the tiller. The drive shaft is fine now as well. Now hooking on to my rotary cutter and box blade are a breeze also. I had been thinking about the IMatch since buying my tractor, I should have gotten it before now.

·
Registered
212 Posts
48 inch vs. 60 inch

Hi guys,

I went with the 60 inch yellow tiller, made by tarter from TSC and she is a little much for the 1026R. I called TSC and they are going to let me return it and replace it with the 48 inch version.

We are a month and 1/2 later on this thread , are you still happy with the 48 inch. They make one that is orange for "Sub Compacts" but it has a Cat 0 hitch and the pins are so narrow. I have a quick hitch and do not think it will work.

Also the "SC" version is chain driven vs. gear driven.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have the TS 48" yellow version working on my quick hitch. Minor modification with no welding. I swapped the locations of a spacer and the top link. Then just increased the hole size slightly so I could use the top link pin in it. I believe I had to grind a little so my hook bolts would clear it. I have the newer JD adjustable version and the adjustment bolts can be an issue.

Reactions: trohrer

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have had issue with the adjustment bolts as well. Someone was making a hook that had a deeper plate on it. I saw a thread on here. It move the hook out more so the bolts were not a problem.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I still really like my 48" Hawkline/County Line unit. Used it to tear up some yard and till my garden.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Do you have any issues with the lift height? On the 5ft model I was getting about 6 inches or clearance below the tiller with the 1026r 3pt all the way up.

I know the sc one is 15 inches shorter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't say I've had any issues with the height the 1026R gives me. When mine is all the way up it makes a little chattering sound like the PTO joints aren't happy so I either don't lift it all the way up or I turn it off. That's the only thing I can think of as being an issue. I need to play around with my Harbor Freight Quick Hitch and get it to work with the tiller. Then I'm sure the trouble would go away.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts