Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: JD 5420 with JD 541 loader. Unloading hay from trailer and from one bale to the next, dump and curl functions quit working.
I’ve swapped all four hoses and the dump/curl function works. But not up and down. Put hoses back in order, then pulled one at a time and held valve open inside the female quick disconnect. Had pressure from both couplings for up and down, but nothing from either coupling for dump/curl function.
Disconnected and cleaned hoses and couplers multiple times, but nothing made a difference. Cables are good, and tractor bogs down when joystick is moved to dump or curl position. Can someone please help before hay gets rained on!??? Thank you.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
I wish I could Help as I'm looking at this exact tractor for a possible purchase.

Is the loader controll on the Fender that flops around?

Controller is on top of what looks like a 4" chunk of Black ABS Pipe?

Are you saying the controller runs cables to some other valve that does the work?

4 loader hoses are under right side Step with Dissconnects?

Does one of the levers next to 3 point...controll...run the loader function?

Can you move your FEL hoses to the rear SCV's ( if so equipted) and run loader that way possibly?

What transmission and do you like this tractor.....Sorry but have to ask.

Dan

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s a cab tractor and the joystick works as it always has. No slop or sticking. Goes back to center upon release. There are two cables coming from bottom of joystick assembly that run to loader valve. Both are connected and move independent of each other. One cable works the boom up and down and the other controls dump/curl function. Hoses are not long enough to reach the rear quick disconnects. Loader valve body is under cab and above the battery on the right side of tractor. The joystick is covered with a plastic housing, but watching both cables move tells me everything is connected as it should be. And with dump or curl function activated, the engine bogs down as normal when it’s trying to pump hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Sounds like you may have a stuck lift check valve. Remove plug # 1and spring #4. The check valve is #5 and should be loose in the bore. Most likely it is stuck. The originals are made of some composite material that sometimes swells up and gets stuck. If you can get it removed, order a new one that is made from steel. While waiting for the new one you can run tractor without it. Just install the plug without spring and valve. Boom will probably drift down a little without it, so don't park it with bucket over top of anything.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
I am thinking bad female quick coupler, since tractor engine bogs like pump is dead headed.
Try swapping the female quick couplers for boom and bucket and see if that helps.

Reactions: ridesdirt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like you may have a stuck lift check valve. Remove plug # 1and spring #4. The check valve is #5 and should be loose in the bore. Most likely it is stuck. The originals are made of some composite material that sometimes swells up and gets stuck. If you can get it removed, order a new one that is made from steel. While waiting for the new one you can run tractor without it. Just install the plug without spring and valve. Boom will probably drift down a little without it, so don't park it with bucket over top of anything.
Do you know where I can purchase this part? JD wants $2000 for entire valve body. They won’t or don’t sell individual parts. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,978 Posts
Do you know where I can purchase this part? JD wants $2000 for entire valve body. They won’t or don’t sell individual parts. Thanks.
Key 5 in the drawing jd110 posted is P/N N85302 price is $34.23. If your dealer wont sell it to you, eBay has it (search N85302) for $34.23 with free shipping.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.