Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This spring has been really wet and cold/cool, until this week when it’s been in the high 80s. The hay seems to be maturing much faster than usual. Last year I baled the first cut the last week of May which was earlier than normal. This is only May 12 and if I had a dry forecadt
I’d probably cut it this weekend. It is shorter than normal but seed heads are developing quickly.
Hows everyone else’s hay coming along this year?
Plant Plant community Flower Ecoregion Natural environment

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not heading out yet but around the 1st of June we will start turn d the cows out on Saturday as we ran out of hay
Usually the end of May/ first of June is when it’s ready for me. I’m afraid the first cut will not be much tonnage since it’s so short right now. Hate to let it go another 2-3 weeks, I think it will be overdone at that point.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
44,846 Posts
I don't do hay anymore but our lower horse pasture has timothy not very tall but heads between 2.5 - 2.75". Old rule of thumb, cut at 3" heads.
Yes, early here also. First cut here is second week in June.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
early here too, I see a lot around me have cut and bailed already

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Gonna be early here also. Notice the Same here last few day, its really growing. Not very tall yet but getting thick and watching our alfalfa fields for blooms.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gonna be early here also. Notice the Same here last few day, its really growing. Not very tall yet but getting thick and watching our alfalfa fields for blooms.
An alfalfa field down the road was cut yesterday. We have rain forecast Saturday and Sunday, seems risky to me to cut it right now. Maybe he needs the hay🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Premium Member
Tator
16,953 Posts
We usually figure June 15th give or take a week. Our fields are not even close, this dry spell with the heat seems to have stunted them, we are supposed to get rain Sunday/Monday, hopefully we do.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
We have rain forecast Saturday and Sunday,
Us to and we need it. It was sure wet but now we are dry. Watching around me planting going strong and dust is flying.
I’m guessing we will probably have to do first cut Memorial weekend or the following.

Reactions: PJR832 and Gizmo2

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
We have two fields that are ready but rain in the forecast for the next few days. When sunshine breaks out, some of it will hit the ground. Another field (larger than the first two) will be later as we graze that one in the winter but it, too is coming along. I need to hit it with 2,4, d before weeds get too big but can't do that in the rain either.

·
Registered
4430, 4040, 2350, 2355, 2950, 425 and IH 1586, NH TD95D
363 Posts
We are going to finish spreading urea today. Farm across road spread yesterday. That is 2-4 weeks later than when we normally do it. On an average year everybody should have had their 1st cutting chopped this week. Fields finally got some growth with this dry weather that comes to an end this weekend.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A couple farmers here cut and bailed the third week of April. Its odd to see wrapped round bales this early. I've seen several people stop and take pictures of the bales sitting out in the field.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Still raining here. We haven’t seen 80° yet and probably close to a somewhat normal year. Last year, I cut Memorial Day weekend and that was the earliest in about 15 years. The yield was down because we didn’t get much rain after April 1. This year, everyone around me is short on feed and we are looking like it might be another 3-4 weeks before cutting hay.

·
Registered
9,069 Posts
We've got two fields that need cutting now. Unfortunately, the weather seems to know that as well. Heavy fog this morning until about 10 so everything was wet. Then it cleared off but storms this afternoon. Rinse and repeat tomorrow but maybe Tuesday and Wednesday might work, I hope.

Reactions: Gizmo2 and PJR832
1 - 18 of 18 Posts