Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The family always struggles with what to get my father in-law for Christmas, and since I got my Artillian frame and have used the grapple and the forks he has mentioned how useful they would be to him to gather firewood and move brush around his place.

I had thought of trying to find a used set somewhere but they are very hard to come by, so I settled on building a frame and just buying some forks used locally. Out to the barn I went to dig thru the steel stock and setup the saw, grinder and the Miller MVP 211. Despite having various tube, angle and plate stock I did need to source some specific pieces-namely the 1/4” 1.5x3” box tubing for the main top and bottom pieces of the frame. This was easily and inexpensively done at a local steel supplier/fabricator from their drop pile for ~$20 and the JD top hooks and pins that I discovered in another thread here, though those pre made pieces were a bit more $.

Thus began the cutting, grinding, fitting and welding-

I cut the rectangle tube in half at about 46” and boxed the ends with 1/4” plate plasma cut, then cut more 1/4” plate for the top hook and mounting pins and used angle iron to back up and stiffen it on top and bottom of the box tubing. The bottom is “shimmed out” to improve the resting angle with 3/4” square tube.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Having taken a break from this project for a bit I returned last week and worked on stiffening and reinforcing the frame. I cut angle iron and 1” box tube to stiffen and reinforce the mounting plate between the upper and lower box tube and welded them in place. Then I added another 3/4” tube on the front of the side plate to help there. I was going to add 2 interior 1” pieces of tube vertically at the 1/3 rd points of the frame but decided to go with a 6” piece of 3/8” plate that I cut and welded into a “T” at the mid point instead.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Last night I took on the task of finishing up the frame by mounting 2”x1/2” flat stock on the face of the frame for the forks to ride on. I didn’t intend for him to set them narrower than 2’ or so thus I cut 20” long sections, beveled the back edges top and bottom and cut 3/4x1/2” notches in the top for the fork lock pins.

I tacked them in place to check fit of the times and once confirmed I welded them in place and added a Ken’s weld on hook in the center for good measure.

Looking good mounted on my 2032r, I’m sure the frame is strong enough for his use :good2:

In the spring once outside temps will permit my mother in-law says she will work on painting it for him, not sure what color they’ll decide on.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,272 Posts
Nice fab work :good2:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS Kenny!:bigbeer:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Looks awesome, very nice quality!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Looking at the pictures I posted I noticed I never added the reinforcing tabs on top of the ‘hooks’ that mount the frame on the loader. I was sure I had cut a couple pieces of 1/4” plate for those ....

Sure enough under the saw at my cutting station were two 1 1/2”@x3” or so pieces of 1/4” that I had not cleaned up after plasma cutting- not that much was needed. It was quick work with the grinder and the welder to attach them.

Loading it up today to take it to the in-laws place and give it to him while he can still use it some before snow, should make a great early present with the 4”x42”x1.5” Cascade tines I got :bigthumb:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,069 Posts
Looking at the pictures I posted I noticed I never added the reinforcing tabs on top of the ‘hooks’ that mount the frame on the loader. I was sure I had cut a couple pieces of 1/4” plate for those ....

Sure enough under the saw at my cutting station were two 1 1/2”@x3” or so pieces of 1/4” that I had not cleaned up after plasma cutting- not that much was needed. It was quick work with the grinder and the welder to attach them.

Loading it up today to take it to the in-laws place and give it to him while he can still use it some before snow, should make a great early present with the 4”x42”x1.5” Cascade tines I got :bigthumb:
Let us know what he thinks about them. BTW nice job. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
471 Posts
Let us know what he thinks about them. BTW nice job. :thumbup1gif:
Yes, lets hear how he likes them. And of course we want to see action shots of them in use:kidw_truck_smiley:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
FIL gave it a quick coat of JD green to keep it from rusting over the winter and will strip, clean, prime and coat again once it’s warm enough to do so outside in the spring.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Action shots

Picking and moving a ~36” round 10’ birch log from a tree he cut-the man is in heaven!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys :cheers::bigthumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts