Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some appropriate Head, Ear and Eye Protection.
First picks and along these lines. I can pretty much eliminate #4.
Comments/Suggestions?

wchelmet.JPG

pmfh.JPG

sfhs.JPG

shieldpro.JPG

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
Not to be nit-picky here but... "appropriate" for what? From the looks of it I'd guess tree-cutting/logging maybe? I mean, all the examples are inappropriate for the opera. :laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not to be nit-picky here but... "appropriate" for what? From the looks of it I'd guess tree-cutting/logging maybe? I mean, all the examples are inappropriate for the opera. :laugh:
:lol: :lol:Oh yeah, THAT! :thumbup1gif:
For use with a wood chipper.

·
Administrator
18,009 Posts
I have the #3, it's very comfortable and effective.

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Mine is Husqvarna branded, similar to #3. I use it for chainsawing, of course, also with the chipper/shredder & when using the trimmer for heavy work such as tall grass, weeds & brush. ~~ Lowell

·
Premium Member
12,288 Posts
Help me out here, 1 thru 3 all look the same, i.e. integrated head covering, face shield and hearing protection. How do they differ from each other?

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Help me out here, 1 thru 3 all look the same, i.e. integrated head covering, face shield and hearing protection. How do they differ from each other?
#1 has vents in top, #'s 1 & 2 appear to have plastic screen while #3 is wire screen. ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I ordered the #3 and did not get pepperoni or egg roll. The suspension is very comfortable and the screen will protect the face while allowing good ventilation. (IF you are one of those "sawyers" that don't sharpen your chain more than twice a year, some sawdust powder and smoke can come through the screen mesh!):laugh:

FWIW, I always wear a "do-rag" bandanna in summer to soak up sweat and this suspension leaves plenty of room for it. Six point suspension is the only way to go.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
I wear safety glasses and a straw hat. If hearing protection is needed I put them things that fit in your ear in my ear. Yah I know... but if I had to wear any of them helmets with all that stuff attached it would end up in the chipper or in the trash. What little hair grows on my head even gets cut off. Baseball cap or a straw hat is about all I can tolerate. Seeing as how I use my head to bang into everything I should re-think my way of doing things. :banghead: #1, 2 or 3 could probably save my head, my ears and my eyes. Damn it Gizmo2, you had to bring this up. I'm re-tiring at the end of this month and money will be tight. Hey I know, you can buy 2 and send me one. :good2::laugh:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wear safety glasses and a straw hat. If hearing protection is needed I put them things that fit in your ear in my ear. Yah I know... but if I had to wear any of them helmets with all that stuff attached it would end up in the chipper or in the trash. What little hair grows on my head even gets cut off. Baseball cap or a straw hat is about all I can tolerate. Seeing as how I use my head to bang into everything I should re-think my way of doing things. :banghead: #1, 2 or 3 could probably save my head, my ears and my eyes. Damn it Gizmo2, you had to bring this up. I'm re-tiring at the end of this month and money will be tight. Hey I know, you can buy 2 and send me one. :good2::laugh:
Sad part is I need 2, Babycakes ya know.:thumbup1gif:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
#1 has vents in top, #'s 1 & 2 appear to have plastic screen while #3 is wire screen. ~~ Lowell
I think they may have different hearing protection levels also.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I bought a Rockman brand quite a few years ago. I use it when I have a lot of wood to cut or I'm felling trees in the woods, otherwise, just earmuffs, safety glasses and baseball cap. It is similar to #1 with the vents. Mine still gets hot in the summer, and the vents must help some.

If you get a chance to try them on, usually the most comfortable one is the one to get. If it's not comfortable, you won't use it.

If your not going to fell trees with possible dropping branches (widow makers), you may not need the hard hat for just chipping, it'll be a lot cooler.

Just my 2 cents.

(Oh I forgot, some of us are already cool).

·
Registered
770 Posts
I have the Husqvarna version of #3. No ratchet adjustment. I hate the ratchett gizmos...they seem to crap out and fail in the cold for some reason.
I like the ear muffs better on the Husky models.

Baileys has a decent selection of buckets and screens.

Whatever ya get, just remember to raise the screen before spitting.
Copenhagen sticks to mesh like crazy.;)

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have the Husky version as well. When it is hot, sweat really collects in the ear muffs, but I like the protection, but I wear chaps too. I feel like the extra sweat from all of the gear is just extra weight loss. Am I right guys? :)
Oh yeah I'm sure Babycakes would buy into that,,,,, exercise equipment.:lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought a Rockman brand quite a few years ago. I use it when I have a lot of wood to cut or I'm felling trees in the woods, otherwise, just earmuffs, safety glasses and baseball cap. It is similar to #1 with the vents. Mine still gets hot in the summer, and the vents must help some.

If you get a chance to try them on, usually the most comfortable one is the one to get. If it's not comfortable, you won't use it.

If your not going to fell trees with possible dropping branches (widow makers), you may not need the hard hat for just chipping, it'll be a lot cooler.

Just my 2 cents.

(Oh I forgot, some of us are already cool).
It's all about Location! :thumbup1gif:
No trees in Texas.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
It's all about Location! :thumbup1gif:
No trees in Texas.
I've been to Texas (New York). I'd say there are a lot of trees there.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts