Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new 1025R, approx. 12 hours. Tonight while I was mowing the headlights and spotlights were flickering. As I touched the switch they went out briefly until I wiggled the switch again. Anybody else have this issue. Also is there a aftermarket switch that will allow all the same features with one more position that leaves the spotlights off and just the headlights on?

·
Premium Member
980 Posts
Cleaning rotary switches

I've seen this problem on my new 1025R.

When rotary switches have not been used for while, they can accumulate oxides on the conductive surfaces. If the switch is sealed ($$$), this won't be a problem. But these probably are not. There is lots of evidence in my case that my 1025 spent some time stored outside in the dealer's lot. So the switch contacts had the time and the environment to oxidize.

Fortunately, most "wiping" switches are self cleaning. Work the switch all the way on and all the way off a dozen times. This worked for me. If this doesn't fix it, its time for a new switch.

Keane

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also had that switch problem right after I picked up my 1025r last month.
.8 hours on it. I worked the switch back and forth a few times over the next couple days and it went away.
Works great now.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
I noticed the problem when my tractor was delivered so I got a replacement switch (AM124875) from the dealer. However, the replacement switch was even worse. The dealer asked that I wait a bit while they figure out if John Deere was going to recall the switch and/or come up with a replacement solution.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
For whatever reason they must not have the trouble worked out. My 1026R had no issues till I added the rear work light then it started doing the same thing as described. JD replaced it and my shop foreman said if they install the light they replace the switch as part of the addition. That was a couple years ago. One would thing they'd figured out the switch issue by now.. Must only build switches on Fridays.. :lol:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,198 Posts
I know I'm probably going to bite myself in the a$$ but in the year and a half I've had my 1026 I've never had a switch problem. And no I don't have a pic of the switch. I bought mine in April of '13. Don't know how long the dealer had it but a couple days later they said they had to come get it as there was some re-calls they had to do to it. I never did ask what they did but took for granted that it was the hood brace and the piece that went on the transmission spout. :good2:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Mine was same, dealer gave me new one, same thing. JD went a little cheap on some of the auxiliary items on these tractors. Great engine, frame, and tranny - but cut corners on other things to save a couple bucks. Stupid thing is for a total of a couple hundred probably could have made everything first quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
I completely agree with Tom on this one. There are some components on these tractors that are just plain cheap/junk. The light switch is one of them. The armrest material, coolant jug/cap are others that I know of (so far) from first hand experience.

I am sure they had to come within X dollars of a comparable Kubota BX so they did what they had to do.

I still wouldn't trade it for a BX or any other. All of them have their own little quirks.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have the same issue with my 1025r. Probably going to shoot some electrical contact cleaner in there and work the switch back and forth. I am also thinking of adding some large LEDs to the ROPS. Can not see anything with the H120 added to the front.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've got the same issue with my 1026R. Had it since new. It was replaced by the dealer at about 1 month old but no different.
I'll be looking to replace it myself with a mil-spec rotary switch of a much better quality shortly.
Irritating that they cheaped out on this when the rest of the machine is so good!

·
Registered
375 Posts
I used to have an issue with my switch, and even the replacement switch had problems. However, I followed the advice of another poster in this thread and just rotated the switch full on to full off over and over a dozen times. Ever since, it's making good contact and I haven't had the flicker problem. It is most likely a simple corrosion issue from the internal switch contacts oxidizing over time. Use it or lose it so to speak.

Edited to add: I just checked the JD parts website and plugged the switch number (AM124875) into the "where used" section. It appears the switch is used on a lot of different tractors (1 series, 3 series, 4 series).

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
I used to have an issue with my switch, and even the replacement switch had problems. However, I followed the advice of another poster in this thread and just rotated the switch full on to full off over and over a dozen times. Ever since, it's making good contact and I haven't had the flicker problem. It is most likely a simple corrosion issue from the internal switch contacts oxidizing over time. Use it or lose it so to speak.
QUOTE]

I wonder if a shot of "TV Tuner Cleaner" could get in there? That stuff is magic on contacts (and model RR track!)

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I've never had a problem with this on mine. The toggle switch I put on the axillary lights corroded after a couple years but some contact cleaner and sandpaper fixed that

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mine is doing the same and is brand new from the dealer. I guess it was outside for a few months... :thumbsdown:
Thanks for the info. Hopefully, rotating it a few times will fix it.

·
Registered
967 Posts
no issue with my switch

Just to be optimistic my switch has been working ok. But it turns on a lot because of it's location by my leg as I get on. I generally don't notice it till I get off or look behind.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts