Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

I did a search and found some discussion on this topic from a year or so ago but hadn't seen anything more recent. Has anyone found the :thumbup1gif:WHOLY GRAIL:good2: of hearing protection with which you can also listen to music of some type (radio / mp3 / 8 track / cassette / c.d.) or anything else ? I'm looking for something to lessen the strain on my aging ears. Anybody have a good idea ?

Thanks,

Eric.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
I use these or similar to them and like them. I buy 2 or 3 a year.

3m_ultrafit_kulak_tıkacı.png

·
Registered
139 Posts
I use a set of noise cancelling headphones to listen to Pandora on my phone. Then I use a set of ear muffs over that. Works pretty well and the music doesn't have to be up loud.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
I still use the 3M headphones with AM/FM radio. Work well and give me the hearing protection that I should have had when I was a kid. If I had protected my hearing then, I wouldn't have the constant ringing in my ears.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
Still using a pair of these. The work great with my iPhone. If my phone rings it comes through the head phones. If it is important I answer if not the phone goes back into my pocket.

vic-firth-sih1-2.gif

·
Administrator
17,266 Posts
I still use my Bose QC2's.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
I still use the 3M headphones with AM/FM radio. Work well and give me the hearing protection that I should have had when I was a kid. If I had protected my hearing then, I wouldn't have the constant ringing in my ears.
All members should read this. :thumbup1gif:
Back in the day I thought I was a macho guy only to find out later I was just stupid.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Hearing protection is great. However, if you are going to listen to music, etc., you will have the volume at a level that defeats the purpose of the protection.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ultimate hearing protection/headphones

The ultimate headphone/hearing protection comes from E.A.R inc their I plugs are amazing they are about 300 each so 600 for the pair but they are the ultimate as far as hearing/headphones. I use them for racing late models I can hear the spotter or crew chief perfectly and it provides hearing protection from the engine noise. They are expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Hearing protection is great. However, if you are going to listen to music, etc., you will have the volume at a level that defeats the purpose of the protection.
fg: The maximum volume is limited to, I believe 82 decibels. I have no problem hearing the radio with the volume at far less than maximum. The outside noise is quieted enough to hear the music. I just need it loud enough to hear the words so I can sing along!:laugh:

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
The ultimate headphone/hearing protection comes from E.A.R inc their I plugs are amazing they are about 300 each so 600 for the pair but they are the ultimate as far as hearing/headphones. I use them for racing late models I can hear the spotter or crew chief perfectly and it provides hearing protection from the engine noise. They are expensive but worth it.
So, why haven't we seen pictures of your late model and read some racing stories?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,056 Posts
fg: The maximum volume is limited to, I believe 82 decibels. I have no problem hearing the radio with the volume at far less than maximum. The outside noise is quieted enough to hear the music. I just need it loud enough to hear the words so I can sing along!:laugh:
Who you kidding? You couldn't carry a tune if it was in a bucket.:lol:

·
Registered
11,383 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
um, no. out on the motorbike I use a set of custom molded ear plug speakers. I set the volume before I start the bike (and I can still hear you talk) and that's where it stays.

·
Registered
139 Posts
That's why noise cancelling or ear muffs over top of headphones or ear muffs are important.

I have a set of bluetooth head phones that work well when there is no external noise, but they are not noise cancelling, so in order to hear them over the tractor, I have to have them cranked up like you mention. That's why I don't use them, but do use my others.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
The hearing protection factor is very high with in ear monitors (IEM) that is why we see so many musical acts now using them. Gone are the days is stage monitors pushing 100db. In some ways it makes the monitor mixers job easer also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
Yeah, this is my problem. I crank the tunes so loud to drown out the engine and then can't hear a thing after I turn the music and machine off. :unknown:

Actually, I sometimes just use ear buds turned up modestly when mowing with a small lawn tractor but when on the 1026 I like to hear the machine more than music so I'll just use regular ear muffs to take the edge off the noise. :greentractorride:

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Like others have confessed, I was stupid when young and I didn't protect my hearing. Accordingly, I have hearing loss from those early days of abuse. As a consolation though, it now sounds as if my wife only nags me half as much as before.:whip:

Now-a-days, being wiser and more concerned with maintaining some semblance of health, I wear ear muffs or quality earplugs when running any motorized equipment. I don't listen to music, but I do listen to "the voices." :crazy:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts