Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a tractor and I’m looking for hearing pro that will play my music. Bluetooth. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,463 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Protector-Technology-90542-3DC/dp/B0146A4SWA
I bought these this past summer. I wanted to listen to XM on my phone while cutting grass.:good2:
Only thing I have to complain (which really isn't much) about is losing the bluetooth connection once in awhile depending on where I am on my property.
I would definitely recommend them. Even the regular FM radio reception quality is far and above that of the Peltors brand I used for the previous 6 years.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
You guys will think this is overkill but I use these.

I also use them for flying as I have a microphone adapter that lets me use them for communication.

And the sound quality is awesome when plugged into my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
837 Posts
I bought the Sony Bluetooth noise cancelling ones from costco for around $100.00 work great for me. I can barely hear the tractor. Plus they have a great battery, I've used them all day without having to charge them.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll second the 3M recommendation:thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif::thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
Me also with Worktunes. While mine are old and don't have bluetooth I have no need. I'm on my second pair after 15+ years I think - wouldn't be without them. Also use them for chainsaw work, trimmer, etc.

The best advise I can give anyone is USE THEM!

·
Registered
1,067 Posts

·
Administrator
17,131 Posts
You guys will think this is overkill but I use these.

I also use them for flying as I have a microphone adapter that lets me use them for communication.

And the sound quality is awesome when plugged into my phone.

I have and still regularly use the original QC2's, awesome headphones.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
I have and still regularly use the original QC2's, awesome headphones.
Yeah they are. I had a pair of QC2s her I bought used from a pilot friend with the u fly mike conversion.

Then one of the speakers went out so I upgraded them to the QC15.

This setup rivals my Bose A20 aviation headset at less than half the cost.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts

·
Premium Member
768 Posts
Yeah they are. I had a pair of QC2s her I bought used from a pilot friend with the u fly mike conversion.

Then one of the speakers went out so I upgraded them to the QC15.

This setup rivals my Bose A20 aviation headset at less than half the cost.

Man I didn't realize anything got better than my A20's. I got sick of my cheap DC's when working on my private and picked up A20's back in 2007. Unfortunately for the last few years they've been in sitting in a flight bag in the basement. I did use them plenty of times while sitting on a commercial airliner flying home from college.

I was always under the impression that on ear earphones are fine for listening to music but for hearing protection you should use over the ear since part of your auditory system is behind your ear and is just as susceptible to damage from loud noise. Over the ear style provided this protection as long as you have a good seal. That being said usually when using safety glasses that seal is compromised.

I've been a bad boy and still use nice 30dbs ear plugs in my ears when working with my power equipment so my safety glasses don't affect the cup on the ear muffs. I had a scare a few years back when I was just 25, when using NC ear muffs when shooting. Unfortunately my safety glasses got in the way of my muffs and I kept adjusting the PPE setup until it was ineffective. Several more shots later and I heard a crack in my right ear. For nearly 2 months my right ear had almost not function and sounded completely muffled. Anything about normal conversation came across as loud static and made me wince. Once I got my hearing back i gave up on muffs when I need to wear safety glasses. I didn't want to go the next 80yrs without hearing in one year.

·
Premium Member
7,215 Posts
I sure wish I could find something that's effective and comfortable.

I like muffs for their quick and easy on/off style; but my outdoor work hats won't fit over the headbands, and they eventually cause me discomfort from the spring pressure pushing against my head and eyeglass temple pieces. I had a pair where the headband pivoted out of the way; but the ear cups would eventually do the same. I also had the same pressure discomfort issue.

I've used disposable ear plugs; but what a nuisance to always roll them like a joint just to get them in the ear canal. Plus you have to keep quite a few handy in case you need to frequently remove them for whatever reason while working. I'm also not crazy about anything that pushes wax into the ear canal.

I don't care whether I can listen to tunes while using them.

·
Registered
21,210 Posts

I like muffs for their quick and easy on/off style; but my outdoor work hats won't fit over the headbands, and they eventually cause me discomfort from the spring pressure pushing against my head and eyeglass temple pieces. I had a pair where the headband pivoted out of the way; but the ear cups would eventually do the same. I also had the same pressure discomfort issue.

I've used disposable ear plugs; but what a nuisance to always roll them like a joint just to get them in the ear canal. Plus you have to keep quite a few handy in case you need to frequently remove them for whatever reason while working. I'm also not crazy about anything that pushes wax into the ear canal.

I have an issue with glasses and the pressure from the muffs. I am wearing 2 pair of glasses - my regular plus over-the-glasses type safety sun glasses. I just can’t wear the plug type ear things.

I never wear a hat so that isn’t an issue for me.

·
Premium Member
13,967 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-Protector-Technology-90542-3DC/dp/B0146A4SWA
I bought these this past summer. I wanted to listen to XM on my phone while cutting grass.:good2:
Only thing I have to complain (which really isn't much) about is losing the bluetooth connection once in awhile depending on where I am on my property.
I would definitely recommend them. Even the regular FM radio reception quality is far and above that of the Peltors brand I used for the previous 6 years.

I have these also, bought them thinking last summer at Ace hardware, They had them on sale , thinking $55 or less.:bigthumb:

They work great .

You only have 2 ears and once you loose that hearing :dunno: FIL sits around and I know he only hears certain things being said. No it isn't selective hearing, he worked around heavy equipment the majority of his career ,till he retired.
Our daughter tested our hearing 23-25 yrs ago (while getting her master degree in audiologist) his hearing loss was 40-50%.. He wouldn't and didn't get a hearing aid.

Save your hearing with anything, the best you can afford.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
I use molded ear plugs like these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5hclSlRsY

They don't completely block noise but do reduce to a comfortable level. I like being able to hear/listen to the tractor (or any other machine I'm using) so I can detect any changes that may be happening.

I also use the molded plugs for rifle shooting because there is no interference with the stock.

·
Registered
436 Posts

Since I use hearing aids, I've learned to keep the old ears cleaned out. I had my audiologist make reusable molded ear plugs.They are very comfortable even though I may have them in for 3 or 4 hours at a time.
I prefer to listen for an odd sounding piece of equipment while I'm running it but that's me.:shift:

·
Registered
21,210 Posts
I use molded ear plugs like these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w5hclSlRsY

They don't completely block noise but do reduce to a comfortable level. I like being able to hear/listen to the tractor (or any other machine I'm using) so I can detect any changes that may be happening.

I also use the molded plugs for rifle shooting because there is no interference with the stock.
I find it important when running machinery to be able to hear somewhat. The worktunes work well for that - block most of the noise but can still hear the engine and deck enough I would be able to hear if something was going wrong.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just purchased a tractor and I’m looking for hearing pro that will play my music. Bluetooth. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me also with Worktunes. While mine are old and don't have bluetooth I have no need. I'm on my second pair after 15+ years I think - wouldn't be without them. Also use them for chainsaw work, trimmer, etc.

The best advise I can give anyone is USE THEM!
I use the 3M worktunes w/Bluetooth as well (there are lots of positive reviews for them in many threads here). They are always worn if I'm on the tractor or running the chainsaw. Absolutely love them. You don't realize how loud this equipment is until you've gotten used to wearing the ear protection.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

I've found these 3M Behind-the-Head Earmuffs to be ideal for the reasons you stated. They can be worn with a full brimmed hat, they work and they're cheap. I don't recall any undue pressure on my temples or glasses, but there must be some. The hearing protection is sufficient for most purposes and higher decibel ratings are available.

They are designed to be worn with the spring at the base of your neck, but I wear mine "upside-down" with the spring at the back of my head because they don't seem to move around as much. I have two pairs that I use in the shop and yard and another in my truck for elsewhere. They are all in good condition after 3-4 years of use.

·
Premium Member
10,717 Posts
I find it important when running machinery to be able to hear somewhat. The worktunes work well for that - block most of the noise but can still hear the engine and deck enough I would be able to hear if something was going wrong.
I agree. Did you ever notice that you can "hear" the equipment better with muffs? I mean, when I'm wearing the ear muffs I can better hear the hum of the mower deck and the growl of the engine which makes it easier to tell if everything is working correctly. Without muffs the exhaust note drowns out the low subtle sounds.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts