Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on how much of a noise reduction rating one should look for in hearing protection. They will be used while riding on the tractor, general home maintenance (pole saw, weed wacker, ect) and for some wood working. I just got a router and hear they can be quite loud.

I have been looking to spend under $50 and want something with bluetooth or something one could plug something like this into Bluetooth Music Streaming 3.5mm Home Car Wireless Audio Receiver Adapter - Newegg.com

Thanks for your thoughts

Jonathan

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hiya,

I have to wear hearing protection whenever I use any power tools or non cab tractor as I have hearing damage from playing in bands, shooting and riding Harley's with straights.

I have a pair of HF electronic muffs that let in sounds up to a point then they turn off the speakers and act like regular muffs. I think I paid 20 bucks for them, if that.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Hiya,

I have to wear hearing protection whenever I use any power tools or non cab tractor as I have hearing damage from playing in bands, shooting and riding Harley's with straights.
What? Huh? I can't hear you. :mocking:

·
Premium Member
14,133 Posts
My FIL worked around heavy eqpt most of his working career , and no hearing protection. He will be 88 in another 9 days , has about 20% hearing .

Buy the best you can find for the amount of money you can afford. Daughter has a Masters in Audiology , have not asked her lately but I was thinking hearing protection should cancel 35db. Will agree anything is better than nothing. It's to late to ask her this evening.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hey, that's my line.... :good2:

Actually, I find it really annoys people when you tell them what you thought they said and phrase it with a question inflection because it's no wheres close to what they actually said.... :thumbup1gif:

·
Super Moderator
4,894 Posts
Not sure if you are looking for in-ear or over-the-ear protection but if you like the in-ear style look into "Plugphones". 25 db protection, comes with bluetooth and not as bulky as over-the-ear style.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I wouldn't be as concerned about using hearing protection on non-cab equipped tractors as I would using hearing protection on old cabbed tractors of the 60's & early 70's. As a magazine article I read back around 1985 said about that vintage of tractor, "It would have been quieter riding in the engine oil pan than sitting in the seat in the cab..."

The one exception to that statement was the miserable old green 2-cylinder tractors. A, B, R, 60, G, didn't make any difference what model/size, after about 15 minutes at full load you felt every cylinder fire about an inch behind your sinuses, your ears were ringing, after a half hour you might even have problems focusing your eyes, and you had a head ache that would last several hours after you quit running the tractor.

Even medium and heavy-duty trucks of that vintage were noisy, diesel, gas powered, really didn't make much difference.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not sure if you want face protection too but I do wear my Stihl forestry helmet from time to time...eye pro and ear pro at the same time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,530 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using these for years now. Cheap enough but quite effective. The radio does me no good (no radio signals around here) but it has an input jack - I just use a little MP3 player in my shirt pocket.

3M TEKK WorkTunes Hearing Protector, MP3 Compatible with AM/FM Tuner - Hunting Earmuffs - Amazon.com

Thanks, that was one of the ones I had been looking at, just was not sure if I should look for a higher NRR. Glad its working well for you and the price certainly is right.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
When I perused hearing protection for use shooting I noticed that most of the cheap up to medium priced sets pretty much had near the same db of noise reduction. You jump into some bucks when you get into higher db or even noise cancellation style muffs. I wanted to jump to a pair that had very soft leather ear cups and better db reduction and I couldn't afford them, at least after paying for my latest rifle!
I paid about $40 for electronic ones that can actually amplify ambient sound, but react in time to muffle gunshots. Lots of guys add foam plugs for extra quiet.

·
Registered
21,530 Posts
Thanks, that was one of the ones I had been looking at, just was not sure if I should look for a higher NRR. Glad its working well for you and the price certainly is right.

I don't know the actual noise reduction value but they work well for machinery. I want to hear at least some of what the machine is doing - need to hear the engine RPM if even subtly. Part of running any machine is "feeling" what the machine is doing. With these headphones they stop 75% of the noise but I can still "feel" what is going on.

·
Premium Member
1,786 Posts
I just use my David Clark gun muffs.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
I agree with coaltrain, except I use the FM on the headset. I can get a few FM stations where I live, but AM is not so hot. It's about the only time I listen to music. Also, the volume is limited to, I believe 82 decibels. I never have the volume more than half.

While on the subject, hearing protection is very important on equipment. I have a sound meter on my phone and have checked the sound level at WOT while mowing. It pegs the meter at 100dB. I never used hearing protection until the last few years and I pay a heavy price. Both ears ring constantly, which is extremely unpleasant. I hear a lot of people say that they won't use protection because they can't hear if there is a problem with the equipment. You can still hear the machine, even if a belt squeals, or something gets caught in pulley or other normal problems.

They also help keep your ears warm while moving snow.:thumbup1gif:

NRR: 22dB

·
Old Pa-pa
11,423 Posts
I vote ANY noise reduction is better than none... That said, I wear harbor freight muffs and foam plugs...
That is number 1 as far as I'm concerned.:good2: :good2: :good2:

Tinnitus ain't fun, been having it for 45 years, dumb things when I was young, hand cannons with no hearing protection,
engines, etc, etc.
It all eventually gets ya, now it amounts to trying to stop further damage.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I love my 3m work tunes earmuffs! I can usually get enough FM stations to keep me amused, and in the rare occasion that I get bored it also has a 3/8 input jack. The batteries last a long time. In fact the only time the batteries have died is when it accidentally gets switched on inside my tool bag.

If I'm going to be running something really loud (like a tractor with a straight pipe :good2:), I usually put foam ear plugs under my earmuffs.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Not sure if you want face protection too but I do wear my Stihl forestry helmet from time to time...eye pro and ear pro at the same time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
I have one with the mesh face shild. Found the muffs attached to the helmet don't push against my head hard enough. They have an adjustment but it's all the way hard. So the hearing protection part is a little lacking. My set of regular Sihl ear muffs works better. However the lid & face shild have saved me more than once.

·
Registered
980 Posts
31 Db is high end for normal ear mops (my kids when they were little) i used for shooting, about $35 from several manuf. Above that and the money starts to flow. When it's loud use foam plugs and mops like others have said.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I worked in the oil industry for 37 years as a mechanic and I used foam type ear plugs for 30+ years. I worked on Reciprocating engines but mainly gas Turbines with noise levels around 110 DB. I got use to listening to the equipment with ear plugs so I could walk into a machinery module and tell if there was something wrong, but I could not if I was wearing ear muffs or had no hearing protection. I always wore my ear plugs properly that is pushed well into the ear as per the manufacturers instructions, I am amazed at the number of people who do not know how to install foam ear plugs properly. Just before I retired I had a hearing test the results were normal for my age. So I aim to protect my hearing, I use good quality ear muff when ever I use my 1025r or any other noisy equipment. Ear plugs or ear muffs do work.
Just some things to think about. Double Hearing Protection that is using earplugs and ear muffs only reduces the noise by about 5% over correctly worn Single Hearing Protection. Wearing glasses with the legs going under the ear muffs reduces there efficiency.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts