Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I know I’m being a bit picky here but I honestly didn’t think I was being hard on my bucket. It seems that after hauling a few loads on gravel for a driveway. I’m already seeing some “wave” in the top edge of the bucket as well as a frown on the bottom. I guess I may have had unreasonable expectations but then again I also wonder why the top doesn’t have angle iron for a lip due to the way the quick attach/ bucket loops transfer the pressure to the front edge.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
So you are saying it WAS straight and it bent just from hauling some gravel? If so, if your tractor is still under warranty I would say something to the dealer. There are dozens of ways to abuse a bucket and bend the various edges but hauling gravel shouldn't be one of them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you are saying it WAS straight and it bent just from hauling some gravel? If so, if your tractor is still under warranty I would say something to the dealer. There are dozens of ways to abuse a bucket and bend the various edges but hauling gravel shouldn't be one of them.

It certainly was straight. I only used it to scrape some old rocket (2-3" size) from the driveway and then haul the new gravel. My best guess is that the way the quick attach is positioned directly in line with the bucket loops transferred a lot of pressure to that front edge. Tractor is only 7 months old but I imagine the dealer is going to assume I abused it. It is still very functional but I do worry its going to get worse if I don't reinforce it.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
It certainly was straight. I only used it to scrape some old rocket (2-3" size) from the driveway and then haul the new gravel. My best guess is that the way the quick attach is positioned directly in line with the bucket loops transferred a lot of pressure to that front edge. Tractor is only 7 months old but I imagine the dealer is going to assume I abused it. It is still very functional but I do worry its going to get worse if I don't reinforce it.
It doesn't hurt to ask. You don't even have the paint scratched much.

You might want to consider adding a bolt-on cutting edge as I see the bucket is already drilled for one. That will add significant strength to the cutting edge. The edge may even draw back down when you tighten the bolts.

·
Registered
645 Posts
What tractor and loader is that on?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Wow that is a bummer for new tractor, hope you get a good resolution!

·
Old Pa-pa
12,969 Posts
Do you have a cutting edge for the bucket?
That would really beef up and stabilizes the bottom.

Reactions: Kbar and jgayman

·
Registered
645 Posts
If you order a cutter bar from JD it will look exactly like the cutter that is welded on the bucket now. At least for the 85" bucket. I have one leaning against the wall in my shop. I wanted a cutter for the cutter bar but eneded up with the exact same thing.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
If you order a cutter bar from JD it will look exactly like the cutter that is welded on the bucket now. At least for the 85" bucket. I have one leaning against the wall in my shop. I wanted a cutter for the cutter bar but eneded up with the exact same thing.
What is the width of the OP's bucket?

JD Parts shows a bolt-on cutting edge for the 61 and 73-inch 400E bucket.

As for your 85-inch bucket. According to JD Parts there are several 85-inch buckets. There is a standard duty materials and high volume bucket, both of which have a replacement cutting edge that is weld-on. However, there is also a heavy duty 85-inch bucket that has a bolt-on cutting edge.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Mine is the heavy duty.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Mine is the heavy duty.
If yours has the holes for the bolt-on cutting bar did they send you the wrong one (weld-on)? As you can see above, the bolt-on cutting edge is over twice the price of the weld-on. Of course, the weld-on is nothing more than a replacement whereas the bold-on can be added to an existing bucket for added strength.

Reactions: Zebrafive

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have two buckets, the original (dirty) bucket with tooth bar and a smile. I made it smile pushing over trees. It took a lot of abuse before it started smiling. By trees, I mean 12-18 inchers. The other is new, and still straight, it's only used for nice dirt and gravel and back dragging.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What is the width of the OP's bucket?

JD Parts shows a bolt-on cutting edge for the 61 and 73-inch 400E bucket.

View attachment 785803

As for your 85-inch bucket. According to JD Parts there are several 85-inch buckets. There is a standard duty materials and high volume bucket, both of which have a replacement cutting edge that is weld-on. However, there is also a heavy duty 85-inch bucket that has a bolt-on cutting edge.

View attachment 785804
I've got the 73" and for 220 bucks I'd be tempted to add it to my lower edge to beef it up. Then the question becomes how I go about straightening it back out before I bolt on the cutting edge. I've got a 6" I-Beam cut to 72" that I can use with some jacks but I'll have to think some on it to make sure thats the best approach.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I've got the 73" and for 220 bucks I'd be tempted to add it to my lower edge to beef it up. Then the question becomes how I go about straightening it back out before I bolt on the cutting edge. I've got a 6" I-Beam cut to 72" that I can use with some jacks but I'll have to think some on it to make sure thats the best approach.
Tightening the bolts on the bolt-on cutting edge may pull the bucket edge back straight. If not, a few blocks of wood and a strategically placed bottle jack may do the trick.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Registered
36 Posts
I put on a bolt on cutting edge on my standard bucket and ended up with a 3/4 inch frown in it. I used my 410 backhoe outrigger in the middle with 1 inch shims on the ends, got most of it out, about a 3/8" frown now, I might try to get a little more out of it yet. Not sure why drilling cutting edge would cause a bow, bucket was straight when I started.
20210306_103755.jpg

·
Premium Member
8,780 Posts
I forgot what I paid (maybe $100) for snowplow cutting edge. I did a write up 10-03-2016 in Implements & Attachments.
I did the drilling with the snowplow cutting edge as template from the bottom. Not the jack stand at the front and high lift jacks at the back to hold the bucket steady.
Upper left is my 2030 "parts" tractor and my (gone now) '96 Mule 2510. To the right is '79 Ford bronco
Tractor is JD 6415 with 640 loader and 73" bucket
DSCN7647.JPG

·
Premium Member
8,780 Posts
I put on a bolt on cutting edge on my standard bucket and ended up with a 3/4 inch frown in it. I used my 410 backhoe outrigger in the middle with 1 inch shims on the ends, got most of it out, about a 3/8" frown now, I might try to get a little more out of it yet. Not sure why drilling cutting edge would cause a bow, bucket was straight when I started. View attachment 785839
Did you work from one side to the other?
Or from the center, then out each way alternating?

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
I put on a bolt on cutting edge on my standard bucket and ended up with a 3/4 inch frown in it. I used my 410 backhoe outrigger in the middle with 1 inch shims on the ends, got most of it out, about a 3/8" frown now, I might try to get a little more out of it yet. Not sure why drilling cutting edge would cause a bow, bucket was straight when I started.
That is strange. I can see that happening with a weld-on edge but not a bolt-on edge. You are lucky to have a Mag-Drill. Drilling those bucket edges is a real pain with a standard drill.

·
Premium Member
7,940 Posts
I forgot what I paid (maybe $100) for snowplow cutting edge. I did a write up 10-03-2016 in Implements & Attachments.
Yes you did. Dang our search function works nice.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts