Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My truck(Chevy 2500HD) is equipped with the factory replacement Class III receiver hitch. I bought a new travel trailer(toy hauler) at the end of last Fall and the hitch falls under the unloaded weight of this trailer. I have a Class V receiver hitch, but it doesn't fit the frame rail width of my truck. I was going to build an adapter, but I decided to build a heavy-duty rear bumper and incorporate the Class V hitch into it.

I had all of the material(steel drop-offs, scrap metal) laying around in my barn that was collected over the years. I also had a Jib(Boom Extension) that was condemned from a 9-Ton crane. This Jib has a "taper" running front-to-back, so this would be just right for the type/apperance rear bumper I wanted to build.
thumbnail.jpg

I cut out the center section of the Jib, then split it down the middle, to form the bumper wings.
IMG_0682.jpg

With a section of 4" heavy gauge channel-iron, I cut to length and drilled these for my bumper mounts.
IMG_0683.jpg

Test fitting the bumper mounts. :good2: That hitch in the pic is the Class III that will be discarded.
IMG_0686.jpg

I made a makeshift clamp to hold and bend the 4" x 1/4" flat bar for a drop-down saddle in the middle of the bumper.
IMG_0700.jpg

Bumper saddle.
IMG_0708.jpg

Using makeshift jigs, I assembled the saddle and wings in preparation for welding.
IMG_0750.jpg

I tack welded the assembly and did a test fit on the truck.
IMG_0764.jpg

Once I was satisfied with the test fit, I did a complete weld on the assembly, then wire-brush it and reinstalled it on the truck.
IMG_0781.jpg

All hardware to retain the bumper to the truck is Grade-8.
IMG_0782.jpg

It's not fully complete at this time.

• The licence plate is temporarily mounted. I ordered a flip-down license plate holder to gain access the spare tire crank.
  • The 7-way/4-way trailer plug is also temp mounted at this time. I plan to install it to the left of the license plate within the saddle.
  • Bumper end caps will need to be made and welded into place.
  • I'll also need to figure where I'll install the trailer safety-chains attaching points.
Once all the above is done, I'll remove the bumper for sand blasting, priming and painting. Then, the final installation will be done. :thumbup1gif:

In a couple months, I'll begin building a HD front bumper.
In fact, for that project I ordered weldable 3/4" clevis mount from Ken last week. :good2:Thanks, Ken..........
IMG_0752.jpg
padeyes.png
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While I had the new bumper installed, I decided to take the boat out for a ride.
IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg

Yep. It still floats. :good2:
IMG_0779.jpg

·
Premium Member
14,080 Posts
Nice ,,,very nice :bigthumb::bigthumb:

Just wondering do you think it is heavy enough. :laugh: pity the poor soul that would ever rear-end you. :laugh:

·
Registered
649 Posts
Are you sure your hitch is only a class 3. I would think a HD 2500 would have at least a class 4 or even class 5.

Doug

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice ,,,very nice. Just wondering do you think it is heavy enough. :laugh: pity the poor soul that would ever rear-end you. :laugh:
Gene, the wings are 5/32", saddle is 1/4", saddle backing plate is 1/4", all bracing is 1/4".
I'm going to weigh it when I have it off for blasting/painting. Until then, my guess is it's close to 150 Lbs. :dunno:

I like it!:bigthumb: what color are you painting it JD Green?
Gizmo Black. :laugh:

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are you sure your hitch is only a class 3. I would think a HD 2500 would have at least a class 4 or even class 5.
Sorry, Doug. I should have stated Factory Replacement Class III. You're right, this truck should have come equipped with a Class IV, or V.
Truck trailering info: 2500 CC SWB 4WD 6.6L TD 12,000/14,200

For some reason, the OEM hitch was replaced. I'm the second owner. The original owner traded the truck for a newer year model and I bought it from the dealer. What happened to the original OEM hitch is a mystery. The truck is equipped with a trailer towing package. Maybe someone needed/wanted the OEM hitch.

Below is the hitch that was on the truck when I bought it. :unknown:
IMG_0789.jpg

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I don't see where you stated the year of your pickup. I believe many of the older 3/4 ton pickups had the class III hitches with a 10,000# max. As best I remember, my 97 F250 had a max of 10,000#. My 2011 F250 has the Class IV with a 12,000# max, but it also has a 9800# GVW, whereas the 97 had a GVW of just over the 8500# threshold.

On the other hand, I don't believe Hidden Hitch was an OEM option. Also, many of the older 3/4 ton pickups did not have a frame hitch at all and had to be added on. Pretty much all of them have the hitch today, even 1/2 tons.

Dave

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Looks good. You gonna weld end caps on the ends of the bumper? Would hate to walk around the back of your truck and catch a knee cap on the exposed channel.....Just a thought. Looks like it's going well and would like to see finished product pics!

Never mind the end cap question. I should have read completely. My bad. Looks like you got it all under control.

·
Premium Member
7,298 Posts
:good2:

Now you need to do what an acquaintance at my last job did to his 80's vintage Suburban. He got tired of the cheap pre stainless steel exhaust systems rusting out that he replaced it with 2" SCH40 or SCH80 pipe. I kid you not. It lowered the center of gravity as a bonus. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
License plate light or are you just going to be an outlaw?:nunu: I'd hate to hear the cops were keepin a man down over a nice new bumper.:mocking:

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Ha, that looks great!
Poor Broderson. We had one on job recently that tried to kill us all from asphyxiation. We should of condemned it and made boom bumpers! :laugh:
I notice the crane has an LMC Industrial decal. Do you work for them? They are from Dansville, NY.

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Nice fab work. I noticed your safety chains are both connected on the right side of the hitch. In PA, one safety chain must be connected on one side of the hitch and the other safety chain must be connected on the other side of the hitch and the chains must be crossed under the tongue. Just saying. :dunno:

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
@ Dave------2006 Chevrolet 2500HD, 6.6 LBZ Duramax, 6-speed Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab, LT2, Edge tuner, mileage 182K, Summit White in color. Kinda needs a washing.:mocking:

Now you need to do what an acquaintance at my last job did to his 80's vintage Suburban. He got tired of the cheap pre stainless steel exhaust systems rusting out that he replaced it with 2" SCH40 or SCH80 pipe. I kid you not. It lowered the center of gravity as a bonus. :laugh:
That's some funny excrement there. I'll bet it did.

Ha, that looks great!
Poor Broderson. We had one on job recently that tried to kill us all from asphyxiation. We should of condemned it and made boom bumpers! :laugh:

View attachment 562233
Indoors.................. I'm guessing, yep. It will asphyxiate. :laugh:

License plate light or are you just going to be an outlaw?:nunu: I'd hate to hear the cops were keepin a man down over a nice new bumper.:mocking:
Oops, forgot to list it. They haven't arrived yet.
Damn, you guys are good. I should have sent a few of you a draft, for approval, prior to posting. :laugh:

This is what I ordered. I had a set of these on my last motorcycle. Don't remember how bright they were, buy hey! If they light up, that's what I need.
Hand Point Dn..jpg
licLit.png

·
Premium Member
7,883 Posts
Nice job Flyweight. :good2:

If you want to find every teenie tiny mistake you made, just post a picture here......:mocking:

·
Super Moderator
7,909 Posts
Nice work on that custom fabricated rear bumper! :good2:

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice fab work. I noticed your safety chains are both connected on the right side of the hitch. In PA, one safety chain must be connected on one side of the hitch and the other safety chain must be connected on the other side of the hitch and the chains must be crossed under the tongue. Just saying. :dunno:
Yep. It's the same here.

Blue Arrow. That was on my list of items needed. :thumbup1gif:Never mind the RED arrow. That was for BIG. :mocking:

end.png

I figured since I had NOT YET made the safety chain attachment points, and I was traveling 5 miles to the boat launch, I thought I'd improvise. :mocking:

·
Registered
10,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Yep. It's the same here.

Blue Arrow. That was on my list of items needed. :thumbup1gif:Never mind the RED arrow. That was for BIG. :mocking:

View attachment 562441

I figured since I had NOT YET made the safety chain attachment points, and I was traveling 5 miles to the boat launch, I thought I'd improvise. :mocking:
Opps, missed that!! Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts