Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heavy hitch owners, any thoughts on the more expensive "super duty" version? I was thinking of getting it just for the extra weight (though I don't know how much that is), but now I think it might be too much of a pain to put on and take off to be worth it.

The one I'm looking at is the basic version that can only take eight small weights. I want something I can put on and take off by hand so I don't have to factor my ballast box into my implement storage strategy.

·
Registered
571 Posts
The one I'm looking at is the basic version that can only take eight small weights.
I agree totally. Besides, those suitcase weights are kinda expensive . . . :usa:gizmo:

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I have the super Heavy Hitch that holds 16 weights and wouldn't trade it for anything. I just remove the weights and then the Heavy Hitch. It weighs 50 pounds maybe. I can lift it no issues. Truth be told the Heavy Hitch never leaves the 3pt unless I have to hook up an implement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Just to be clear - the standard Heavy Hitch that holds 8 weights. You can buy the same hitch that holds 8 weights and is a super duty. The only difference is the thickness of the steel that it is made of - 3/16" vs. 1/8".

Then you have the hitch the holds 16 weights.

There is also a hitch that holds 70# weights.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just to be clear - the standard Heavy Hitch that holds 8 weights. You can buy the same hitch that holds 8 weights and is a super duty. The only difference is the thickness of the steel that it is made of - 3/16" vs. 1/8".
Yes, that's what I'm asking about. Is there any point in getting the thicker one? It's not like the regular one is going to fall apart with 8 weights on it. I was thinking maybe it weighed a lot more and would be like getting one "free" weight. Thoughts?

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Yes, that's what I'm asking about. Is there any point in getting the thicker one? It's not like the regular one is going to fall apart with 8 weights on it. I was thinking maybe it weighed a lot more and would be like getting one "free" weight. Thoughts?
I couldn't find the shipping weights on the site. Try sending Greg an email and ask - he's very responsive - might even chime in here if he sees this thread.

I think the standard would be fine unless you are planning on using ground engaging implements hooked to it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the standard would be fine unless you are planning on using ground engaging implements hooked to it.
And...I'm dumb. I didn't even think about attaching implements. And now I'm buying the heavy duty.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I have the heavy duty small hitch (8 weights) I may be wrong but I think the heavy duty one also comes with hook. Which I have used several times. If you can lift the suit case weights I am pretty sure you can handle the hitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
I don't have one or ordered one...yet. It's in the plans and when I do it will be the heavier version that will hold up to 16 weights. I don't have 16 weights either but I want heavier made things so I don't have to buy twice. And someday I might have 16 weights, only need 10 more to get there. :munch:

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,189 Posts
We do now offer the weights as well and have a really great shipping offer with Fastenal company. We can ship to a store near you just about any amount of weight for $100 or less!:bigthumb:
We have one of their stores here in town. I seen it a few weeks ago after I read that you ship to them. When I make my order I'll probably have 2 weights in the mix.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have the Super Duty for 8 weights. Not to steer any biz from HH but I got my weights from that orange store when they had them on sale and got free shipping to my house.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I picked the 16 weight hitch because it came standard with the thicker material and wasn't much more than the heavy duty 8 weight model.

·
Premium Member
10,703 Posts
Look at it this way... you can always just put 8 weights on the Super Duty version but you can never put 16 weights on the standard version. :)

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Look at it this way... you can always just put 8 weights on the Super Duty version but you can never put 16 weights on the standard version. :)
That's the point I attemted to make above. The super duty holds 8 weights - just made heavier than the standard hitch. The one that holds 16 weights is just that - a hitch that holds 16 weights although it is made of the heavier steel.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
I use 8- 70# on my rig and I have no issues except I strap them together as they like to swing back and forth and the weight shift could cause issues if on the side of a hill

·
Registered
20 Posts
heavy hitch

I bought the double one for mine. Use the receiver often. I like the double weight bars and keep weights on the front one to minimize rear length.. I bought 16 weights (1/2 45's and 1/2 70's). I purchased weights from an outfit in the Carolinas I recall. they sold packages of 16 weights and I split it into 8 each size. I picked them up at the dealer and layed them out evenly on the floor of my Envoy to bring them home. Road nice with that load. The weights are made in India and have a heavy John Deere green coating of paint. I normally use half of them. If I did it again, I would have only bought the 45'rs as those 70 lb's are damn heavy to put on and off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought the double one for mine. Use the receiver often. I like the double weight bars and keep weights on the front one to minimize rear length.. I bought 16 weights (1/2 45's and 1/2 70's). I purchased weights from an outfit in the Carolinas I recall. they sold packages of 16 weights and I split it into 8 each size. I picked them up at the dealer and layed them out evenly on the floor of my Envoy to bring them home. Road nice with that load. The weights are made in India and have a heavy John Deere green coating of paint. I normally use half of them. If I did it again, I would have only bought the 45'rs as those 70 lb's are damn heavy to put on and off.I bought my weights from Everything Attachments.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts