Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This add for the "Heavy Hitch" pops up on CL about every other week, seems like a great idea...one I could use myself. I think my ballast box is a little to heavy when I have my snowplow mounted, and I already have 5 suitcase weights.

I think I may modify mine on the next semi-warm day we get...any thoughts?

Here is a couple pictures of mine now-don't laugh at it-it was one of the first things I built when I learned to weld!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Heavy Hitch looked nice, not so sure about the Dainty Dolly :laugh:.

Start welding...

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
I think my ballast box is a little to heavy when I have my snowplow mounted, and I already have 5 suitcase weights.
Really, I am having a hard time imagining the ballast box being too heavy. What is it that would give you an indication it is too heavy? I would think you would want all the traction you can get.:unknown:

·
Registered
733 Posts
I built a similar hitch setup way back when I got my tractor...never got around to painting it or buying weights for it. :lol: It's about 2x taller so I can get 2 rows of weights on it.
Come to think of it, I should pull it out of the snow and drop it off to get blasted & powder coated...

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Really, I am having a hard time imagining the ballast box being too heavy. What is it that would give you an indication it is too heavy? I would think you would want all the traction you can get.:unknown:
The blade does not stick out as far as the loader so it has less of a "lever" action on the tractor. When the blade is floating, I seem to loose a lot of steering control-so this past snow I tried plowing without the BB on and it help a lot-but I don't like having no weight on the 3PH to balance the tractor. My BB is filled with concrete, so it is quite heavy and takes wieght off the front since the plow is not as heavy nor sticks out as far as the loader. With this option I can have a couple hundred pounds on the rear, and in a more compact space than the BB.

Clear as mud?

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Clear as mud?
No better, thanks for the detail, greatly appreciated. I just wasn't seeing it, but now that you explained it I completely understand. Here is a thought, would it make sense to just add weight to the front in addition to your ballast box? Again, maybe improved traction. Seems you would want all the traction you could get with a blade. Just me rambling.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sure I can add weight to the front, there is room now for two suitcase weights. In fact you can see them in the picture below. The two weights made no difference though and adding more would be a challenge.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Sure I can add weight to the front, there is room now for two suitcase weights. In fact you can see them in the picture below. The two weights made no difference though and adding more would be a challenge.
As usual, you are two steps ahead of me.:thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, today it finally warmed up enough to paint it...it's been otherwise finished for 2 weeks or so. I thinks it's going to work nice for a little extra weight when the full weight of the BB is not needed. I also got 3 more suitcase weights-local dealer had some used that I got for a decent price so now I have a total of 8, 4 will fit on each side.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Very nice Ken, :good2: thanks for the update. Really like the detail in the photos. It will be nice to have more options at your disposal. You'll be able to dial that machine in no mater the task now.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Very nice Ken, :good2: thanks for the update. Really like the detail in the photos. It will be nice to have more options at your disposal. You'll be able to dial that machine in no mater the task now.
Thanks Randy.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice work...hate to say this now that she's all painted up nice...but did you consider putting a retention rod on it to hold the weights in?
I considered it...briefly. The unit I copied does not have it, and I have used the weights on the front of my tractor without the bar and they have shown no signs of bouncing off. The weights are 40lb. each, and the slot they hang on is quite deep so I don't think there will be any problems.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update 12-11-11

I thought I would post a follow up to this thread, I put the plow on today and hung the weights on the new hitch for the first time. All seems well and I am more than happy with the way this turned out. The straps are just to help keep them from rattling.

Attachments

·
Registered
278 Posts
That looks great Ken!

I really like the receiver on there. I forgot to tell you I got my truck stuck in the backyard the other day trying to put the trailer back when it was raining. :mocking: I had to pull it out with the 4110. Something like that would have saved me the aggravation of using the truck to put the trailer away in the first place.

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks great Ken!

I really like the receiver on there. I forgot to tell you I got my truck stuck in the backyard the other day trying to put the trailer back when it was raining. :mocking: I had to pull it out with the 4110. Something like that would have saved me the aggravation of using the truck to put the trailer away in the first place.
Keep an eye on CL for an old truck hitch...we can make you one!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
42,691 Posts
I don't like it....you should probably send it up to me.:lol:
Really nice, looks like you purchased some new weights also. $$$$$?

·
Administrator
21,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I don't like it....you should probably send it up to me.:lol:
Really nice, looks like you purchased some new weights also. $$$$$?
Just one "new" one. I had already had 5...the dealer had 2 used ones he sold me for $40 each I think. So now I have 8 total.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ken,

First off...nice work. I wish I had your fab skilles and equipment. With your design would you be able to turn the weights 180 degrees so the "fit" inside your i-match?

Thanks

1 - 20 of 24 Posts