Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. My wife and I just bucked up and got 1023e with a 120r loader with 53" bucket and 54" mower. Big upgrade for us from our 1987 wheel horse. We love it. Very powerful and handles snow without issue. Thinking forward to spring we are talking about expanding our hillside garden. I'm going to try and extend some terraced boxes we put in a few years ago. I'm thinking ballast box and stump bucket from Titan and toothbar maybe. Any thoughts on digging and getting the most out of my machine. Thanks!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,729 Posts
Welcome to GTT Slemaydel and congratulation on your new tractor. :thumbup1gif:
If you really want the most out of your machine I'd suggest a set of forks.
Maybe you can add your location to your profile? It helps us help you.

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts
:wgtt:

Toothbars

This tooth bar will help, and I agree with Gizmo2, a set of forks. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
4,294 Posts

Welcome from New York.

·
Administrator
20,476 Posts

I also moved your thread to the new member introduction forum for a better fit. :good2:

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio! :wgtt:

·
Super Moderator
5,494 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Premium Member
14,404 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Registered
3,911 Posts
Welcome from Southwest Ohio!

I think it's pretty cool that you started your post with "My wife and I just....." Most guys that post here never mention the wife except that maybe she "let him" get a new tractor. Nothing wrong with that - mine is just happy that my tractor keeps me out of her hair! :laugh: But I do think it's cool that it sounds like she's going to be an active participant in using the tractor. Hopefully she lets you have some seat time!

Anyway, you might want to post some pics of the garden areas that you're wanting to terrace so we have a visual on what you want to do. It might turn out that a toothbar on your bucket would be a good choice or someone might suggest a box blade. Regardless, I'd recommend holding off on buying the Titan Stump Bucket at this point. It might not be the right tool for this job. I also think that it might be a bit much for your loader/tractor.

A couple guys mentioned getting forks for your tractor. I couldn't agree more!! There are several brands to choose from and every time someone asks "what kind of forks should I get?", all of us start defending our choices! :laugh: Regardless of the brand you choose, you're going to like them! I bought the most expensive option (Artillian) for my tractor and have been super happy with them. One nice thing about the Artillians are that they have some other "attachments" for your fork frame. One of those is called a "front hoe" which is a smaller version of the Titan Stump Bucket mentioned earlier. Definitely take a look at it. Regardless of what you ultimately end up with, you should be as informed about your choices as possible.

Don't forget to post the pics. You might even want to start a new thread on "What attachment would help me most with my ________ project?" so your questions don't get lost in one of these "Welcome" threads. :good2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from Southwest Ohio!

I think it's pretty cool that you started your post with "My wife and I just....." Most guys that post here never mention the wife except that maybe she "let him" get a new tractor. Nothing wrong with that - mine is just happy that my tractor keeps me out of her hair! :laugh: But I do think it's cool that it sounds like she's going to be an active participant in using the tractor. Hopefully she lets you have some seat time!

Anyway, you might want to post some pics of the garden areas that you're wanting to terrace so we have a visual on what you want to do. It might turn out that a toothbar on your bucket would be a good choice or someone might suggest a box blade. Regardless, I'd recommend holding off on buying the Titan Stump Bucket at this point. It might not be the right tool for this job. I also think that it might be a bit much for your loader/tractor.

A couple guys mentioned getting forks for your tractor. I couldn't agree more!! There are several brands to choose from and every time someone asks "what kind of forks should I get?", all of us start defending our choices! :laugh: Regardless of the brand you choose, you're going to like them! I bought the most expensive option (Artillian) for my tractor and have been super happy with them. One nice thing about the Artillians are that they have some other "attachments" for your fork frame. One of those is called a "front hoe" which is a smaller version of the Titan Stump Bucket mentioned earlier. Definitely take a look at it. Regardless of what you ultimately end up with, you should be as informed about your choices as possible.

Don't forget to post the pics. You might even want to start a new thread on "What attachment would help me most with my ________ project?" so your questions don't get lost in one of these "Welcome" threads. :good2:
Thanks for the suggestions. We will start looking at fork options. And yes my wife was the most important person involved with the purchase. The attachment connection and detatching was the main reason we went with JD. Also our local dealer came highly recommended. Of course I have fun with it but it's just as much hers for chores as me...plus it frees up a lot of time for us on my days off. I will definitely do pics. When the ground opens up.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
:wgtt:from the Mitten. :congrats:eek:n new tractor, enjoy and show us some pics.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,219 Posts
"expanding our hillside garden", you did say that. You'll need a tiller.
:wgtt:[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts

1 - 20 of 22 Posts