Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Purchased a U.S. Forest Service surplus JD a couple of years ago and it is doing great. It is a 1996 5400 4wd, FEL, power reverser open station with 1700 + hours. I do bush hogging in the woods (hard hat work), moving dirt and disking. I especially enjoy using the forks on my bucket to move downed trees, move 6-8 railroad ties at a load, and other loader work. My Titan 6K lbs. forks are secured using ratchet binders, and they add at least 30% more capability to my every day chores. I loaded the rear tires with water and 15% methanol, which is what the dealers are using in my area. Have enjoyed reading GTT for the past two years and have developed my own quick reference maint. guide from posts written by TX JIM, JD 110 and others. Thanks guys!! JD equipment seems to me to have become much lighter after Y2K, and I like the heavy weights, as I learned that power to the ground is determined by both horse power and weight. I started studying the posts for mid-power 4wd JD utility tractors long before I bought mine, and GTT has paid off.

·
Administrator
21,597 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Registered
4,927 Posts
:wgtt:

Welcome from New York.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts