Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due to receive my new 1023E, with a FEL, this May 2018. I already have a LA165 lawn tractor, but am planning to sell it as I don't need two. Plus, I'll use the money to pay down the loan on the new tractor. I plan to attach some forks to the FEL so that I can load the firewood onto my deck for easier transport into the house this coming fall. I'm always planning ahead!

As I heat my house primarily with firewood, I'm going to use my new tractor to haul a utility trailer loaded with firewood into the backyard where the firewood will be split and stacked for drying.

I do have a few questions about the tractor to which I hope someone can provide some answers:

1. How will I know if I'm overloading / overworking the tractor? That is, when I load the trailer (4' wide x 8' long, ~30" deep) with firewood, then go to pull the trailer to the backyard, will the tractor be able to handle this amount of weight? If it can't, will it just stall out or will it self-combust and sent green and yellow metal fragments all the way to the ISS?

2. What, if any, is the break-in period?

I'm sure to have more questions as the time comes, but that's it for now.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

Cheers,
R.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
:wgtt:

Welcome from New York.

To maybe partially answer your questions, you really can't damage the tractor by overloading it or overworking it ... that is as long as you are not doing something dangerous. There are pressure reliefs in the hydraulic system that prevents hydraulic damage. However, lifting max load in your bucket and driving with it high is dangerous ... no damage to lift it, but moving around with a high load , you may tip over. Always keep loaded loader bucket low when moving.

Pulling an overloaded trailer, if it's too heavy, you'll probably lose traction trying to start moving. And if you're pulling very heavy and can get moving on a level area, you may lose brake traction if you start going down a slope.

There are a lot of variables, use common sense, and if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Work up to the max load of your trailer, I can't really put a number on how much you can carry in it.

Regarding break-in - lots of opinions here, but my opinion is use it like you intend to, change the oil per the manual. After a long run under load or full throttle, let it idle for a couple of minutes before shutting down. On cold days, let it warm up a bit before starting work.

You'll probably get a few more opinions here. Good luck and be safe.

Do some more reading, there's a lot of good information on GTT.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Administrator
20,908 Posts
R,

My recommendation? Read. There's a huge amount of valuable information stored here within GTT. There's just no simple way to cover it all in a single "welcome" post.

But that pinkish grey gelatinous goo between your ears is the very best tool you have in dealing with your tractor. As mentioned, if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. If you're not sure, ask. We'll be glad to help you! :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
13,672 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,917 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Super Moderator
5,589 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Welcome from New York.

To maybe partially answer your questions, you really can't damage the tractor by overloading it or overworking it ... that is as long as you are not doing something dangerous. There are pressure reliefs in the hydraulic system that prevents hydraulic damage. However, lifting max load in your bucket and driving with it high is dangerous ... no damage to lift it, but moving around with a high load , you may tip over. Always keep loaded loader bucket low when moving.

Pulling an overloaded trailer, if it's too heavy, you'll probably lose traction trying to start moving. And if you're pulling very heavy and can get moving on a level area, you may lose brake traction if you start going down a slope.

There are a lot of variables, use common sense, and if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. Work up to the max load of your trailer, I can't really put a number on how much you can carry in it.

Regarding break-in - lots of opinions here, but my opinion is use it like you intend to, change the oil per the manual. After a long run under load or full throttle, let it idle for a couple of minutes before shutting down. On cold days, let it warm up a bit before starting work.

You'll probably get a few more opinions here. Good luck and be safe.

Do some more reading, there's a lot of good information on GTT.

Just my 2 cents.

Thank you very much for your reply.

You've already answered one of my many questions. I do intend to do a lot of reading, and it appears that there's a bounty of useful information on this site; I'm very glad that I found out about this.

One of my biggest concerns was about "overloading" or "over-stressing" the tractor. That is, trying to lift something too heavy, or pull something too heavy or blah, blah, blah. However, finding out that there are pressure relief valves gives me comfort knowing that I won't blow some hydraulic piece. As for travelling with the bucket too high, I've already been reading about that hazard. I don't want to win the Darwin award for something like that.

Thank you very much for your help. Lots more reading to do.

Cheers,
Richard

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
R,

My recommendation? Read. There's a huge amount of valuable information stored here within GTT. There's just no simple way to cover it all in a single "welcome" post.

But that pinkish grey gelatinous goo between your ears is the very best tool you have in dealing with your tractor. As mentioned, if it doesn't feel right, don't do it. If you're not sure, ask. We'll be glad to help you! :thumbup1gif:

Thank you for the suggestion. I intend to read, read, and read some more. I know that there is a tremendous amount of information both on this site, and other sites on the Internet. I have already found some great places to look for forks, and I will be researching more until I find what I need, and can afford!

Thanks again!
Cheers,
Richard

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,531 Posts
Hello, R............ Welcome to GTT.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts