Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello to all of ya!
I am from southern WV and here is my story about how I became the proud owner of a green machine.:greentractorride:

I traded up a JD 1530 a couple months back......Owned by an old feller that only drove it to church on Sundays....:laugh:

This tractor was sold new at a dealer less than 5 miles from me that has long since gone out of business. It lived its whole life in a 10 mile radius of where it was sold new.

The tractor has potential. In 2012 had a complete engine overhaul at a reputable engine shop.
It seems to run strong and hopefully just needs some love now.
I have done a few small things to it but am not "mechanically inclined" as I have spent 30 years doing mechanic work on people :laugh:

I am really interested in learning about this unit. Right now am dealing with a lot of steering play despite new bell crank bushings, new inner and outer tie rods and drag link. Suspect steering valve needs work. Also dealing with several hydraulic leaks so I plan to look for information and will most likely be asking questions soon. Hope all will be patient as I work to make this tractor healthy again.

Happy to be able to link to a site like this! :bigthumb: KIMG0129.jpg

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
That is a handsome machine and it sure looks stout. I don't have any knowledge about that model so regretfully I won't be able to help you much but I know many on here will. Good luck with it and thank you for joining us.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Well, you are kinda my neighbor,, I am a little further south near Roanoke VA,, :good2:

:wgtt:

The first thing I would do is measure the toe-in,,
the tires MUST be closer together towards the front as compared to the back.
All you need is a tape measure,, and I am sure some manual will tell you how much,,

If you can not find a manual, set the tires 1/4" closer together at the front, as compared to the rear.

It is amazing how much nicer the tractor will drive with the toe-in set correctly,,
the best part is Z E R O amount of :gizmo: is needed,, just a little time with the wrenches. :yahoo:

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
Welcome from New York! That is one good looking tractor.

·
Premium Member
14,110 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:bigthumb:

Nice looking tractor.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,200 Posts

That's a great looking tractor! :bigthumb:

Putting some weights on the front would make it look mean. :laugh: Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not far from ya at all my friend. Worked in Roanoke at Carilion for several years.

:good2:
Well, you are kinda my neighbor,, I am a little further south near Roanoke VA,, :good2:

The first thing I would do is measure the toe-in,,
the tires MUST be closer together towards the front as compared to the back.
All you need is a tape measure,, and I am sure some manual will tell you how much,,

If you can not find a manual, set the tires 1/4" closer together at the front, as compared to the rear.

It is amazing how much nicer the tractor will drive with the toe-in set correctly,,
the best part is Z E R O amount of :gizmo: is needed,, just a little time with the wrenches. :yahoo:

·
Registered
527 Posts
gttgreen.gif

Welcome from Southern Maryland

·
Administrator
20,354 Posts

We can help, no worries. :good2: Pull up a chair and enjoy yourself here. You're amongst friends. :drinks:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts