Green Tractor Talk banner

Hello & Snow Plow Question(s)

18K views 28 replies 7 participants last post by  meegwell 
#1 ·
Hello all I am new here and relatively new to John Deere ownership! I recently purchased an X570 and so far so good. I bought/attached the leaf collection system/blower a few weeks back and have been dealing with leaves. Now it's time to prepare for snow. I have a long driveway on a decent hill. I can push snow off to either side. After the blower/leaf collection spend I am hoping to do this on the less-expensive side of my choices. From poking around here it looks like tera grip vs. chains is the way to go...and I will need to weigh down the machine. As far as snow blades, I assume I can get any blade that says it will fit x500 and staying on the cheaper side I would get the quick connect and manual angler? Does this sound right? Sometimes this stuff gets confusing with the various parts, machines, and options. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, also I assume craigslist is the best option to find the blade itself if I wanted to go used?

#2 ·
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

:wgtt:

#3 ·
Meeg, You don't have a location in your thread and this can make a difference as to what you want/need. I lived in CT for 65+ years and am very (too) familiar with snow removal. If you get 10 or 15 storms a year dropping 1 to 3 inches, a blade is fine. If you get 10 or 15 storms dropping 6 to 16 inches, I'd say look for a blower.

Something that many people don't think about is what happens after their snow is cleared is where to put the next storm what happens when it starts to melt. I cleaned my driveway about 3 feet on each side of the pavement. When it started to melt it would (somehow??) drain into the grass area (even when frozen!). If you've got a blower, you can continue to clear the same area by blowing over the previous snow. With a blade, you can only push up to the previous snow...with your melt area getting smaller each storm and eventually melting snow will be running onto your driveway and freezing! To me, it's all about how much snow you think you'll be getting, but don't be afraid of moving it waaay back from paved surfaces!

OK. those where my thoughts and had nothing to do with your post! As far as terra grips vs chains, I really shouldn't comment. My driveway was 15+ years old and I didn't mind the (sometimes) marks the chains left. If you have a new driveway, I think the terra grips are the way to go. For weight, as much as the manual says the tractor will handle...wheel weights don't count, they don't add weight to the tractor, only the tires.

I'm not trying to persuade you, just giving my thoughts, Bob

Reactions: PJR832 and fdmars
#4 ·
Blade choices for X500 series

OEM Front Blade

44inch BM25066 or 6005M same Blade angle Kit LP33712 Superior-Tech | 44in Plow Angling Kit

48Inch Blade 6006M angle Kit BM23448 John Deere Manual Blade Angling Kit - BM23448

44inch Blade with angle kit your Looking at $723.00 Plus Tax

48inch Blade Plus angle kit $1,054.29 Plus Tax

Aftermarket Front Blades

Snow Blade Berco 48" Snow Blade for Lawn & Garden Tractors Includes electric winch Lift and the angle kit is Built Into the system

Utility Blade Berco 48" Utility Blade for Lawn & Garden Tractors Includes electric winch Lift and the angle kit is Built Into the system this is a Bit Heavier Duty

I would also say to invest In 4 suitcase weights as well at a Minimum and or Wheel weights You get a Little Better Performance with Both But the 4 suitcase weights Can handle the Job good as well

In the Long run though I suggest sticking with a OEM Front Blade. Don't get me wrong Bercomac make a nice Product But I think Deer's Blades in this side are Built a Little Heavier Duty compared to the Bercomac Blade and the 48inch will clear the width of the Tractor when Blade is angled better than the 44inch

Deere also Makes a electric Lift Kit for the X570 that will raise and lower the Front Blades or Blower the electric lift Kit is LP64865 John Deere Electric Lift Kit - LP64865 This version of the electric lift kit would allow You to use a 47inch Blower On Your X570. It also eliminates some of the extra Parts associated with the Blades and Blower since there redesign for the Current X500 series.

BTW the first years using the Terra-Grips It will feel like a rougher ride But as You use them The ride will get Better by the second Year

some Other Info If You have a asphalt or Concrete Driveway I also recommend the Rubber edge Deere calls it a Rubber squeegee 44inch Is Part Number M15462 John Deere 44-inch Rubber Squeegee Blade - M146542 and the 48inch Version is M42868 John Deere Rubber Squeegee Blade - M42868 the 48inch version you have to Cut to fit as it is actually 54inches Long

If your have a Gravel driveway You won't need the Rubber squeegee or Terra-Grips Because I recommend Chains if Your Have a Gravel driveway

Hope this Helps :bigthumb:

#9 ·
What is the difference between blades that "fit" x500 v other? I would think, on the surface, these would be the same at least between the "X"s for example...
Deere build there Blade sub frame The best way to describe it as (Over Built) Meaning You hit an unseen Obstruction with the 48inch Blade Two things are not going to Likely Not Happen You won't bend the Blade Frame or Tractor Frame The Bercomac There Built well But it Might be Pretty damaged if You end Up Hitting and unseen Obstruction There Blade's themselves are Not as thick as the Deere Blade But The Bercomac is Not cheaply Made Like the Agri-Fab Blades made for the Husqvarna Brand Agri-Fab has finally gotten Smart with the Cub Cadet Brand the started Building a Blade for Cub Cadet that has More of a John Deere design to the Blade sub frame. See there are Two more aftermarket Blade that will work On the X500 But One I would not wish that blade on my worst enemy It is that Poorly made and may only last a season for Plowing.

The other Blade I failed to mention above and should have is this Blade Johnny Bucket Jr. John Deere GTLX scroll down and You will see a video with a Cub Cadet Plowing snow That Blade will also fit On Your X570 and John at Johnny Products does make a fine Product What is nice about that Plow is the Fact that You Have down Pressure to really scrape the surface and You have Power angle something You can't get with any of the Blades I mentioned Up above But it's expensive compared to the Deere or Bercomac Blades

Now when comparing a Bercomac Blower to a Deere Blower In a lot of ways the Bercomac just put the Deere Blowers to shame as far as Performance. But the Deere Blower's again are fairly (Over Built)

The Deere 44inch does Not Have Have springs On it to prevent The Operator from being Jolted in the seat while the 48inch does have spring which Prevent to Operator from being jolted if a object is struck.

I think in the Long run though with front Blades it is usually better to go with the OEM More than Likely if Parts are needed. You will get them quicker with a Deere Blade then with a aftermarket Blade who knows how long the Turn around time will be from Bercomac. Deere You can usually have Parts in 24 to 48 hrs depending On which order they are Put on from the dealer weather expedited 24HRs(extra shipping charge usually added) or the stock order 48hrs (no extra Charge) and the dealer could even have them in there own Parts Department. One thing you don't want to have down during the Winter Is a Blade or a Blower so that why it is sometime Better to go with OEM attachments.

Keep In Mind Deere also Makes a electric lift Kit That can put down Pressure on the Blade as well and Bercomac does not have that option if it something you might need down the Line if Your realize the Blade is not clearing the driveway efficiently enough. The electric Lift kit has that advantage over the X500 series with Hydraulic lift Because those Blades have a designed In float feature and no way to Put down Pressure On the Blade.

Hope this gives you some Ideas for Front Blades :bigthumb:

Reactions: glc
#14 · (Edited)
6002M v 6006M

So, I found a 48" excellent condition JD Blade with wheel weights for $450. The ad said (understand it may not be accurate) "fits 2016 and later x500". When I am trying to find the op/install manual, I notice there is a 6002M and 6006M. What is the difference?

edit: The more I look into this the more I am realizing I probably bought the 6002. The guy was very nice and he would surely acknowledge the mistake in his ad - he probably cut and paste from the website (with he 6006M). Problem is, I drove 2.5 hours each way to get it today. I see there is a conversion kit BM26155 for ~$360 which would put me at ~$810 or the price of a new 6006M.

Two things to consider is a.) I got wheel weights with it so I would be ahead by the price of them and b.) the blade is in brand new condition - brand new as in it looks like it has never been used. Shiny new not a scratch.

So, what is the difference between the 6002M w/ 2016+ conversion kit and a 6006M?

Mildly infuriating, but I guess there are worse problems to have. The drive was better than a day in the office!

I am still not 100% sure this is my situation but it sure is looking like it...

#15 ·
So, I found a 48" excellent condition JD Blade with wheel weights for $450. The ad said (understand it may not be accurate) "fits 2016 and later x500". When I am trying to find the op/install manual, I notice there is a 6002M and 6006M. What is the difference?

edit: The more I look into this the more I am realizing I probably bought the 6002. The guy was very nice and he would surely acknowledge the mistake in his ad - he probably cut and paste from the website (with he 6006M). Problem is, I drove 2.5 hours each way to get it today. I see there is a conversion kit BM26155 for ~$360 which would put me at ~$810 or the price of a new 6006M.

Two things to consider is a.) I got wheel weights with it so I would be ahead by the price of them and b.) the blade is in brand new condition - brand new as in it looks like it has never been used. Shiny new not a scratch.

So, what is the difference between the 6002M w/ 2016+ conversion kit and a 6006M?

Mildly infuriating, but I guess there are worse problems to have. The drive was better than a day in the office!

I am still not 100% sure this is my situation but it sure is looking like it...
Try Piecing that Conversion Kit together By each Individual Part and it will be double the $360 The Older Blades just attaches differently and You Need a front rocker shaft But the Problem is Deere eliminated the slot In the frame for the Front rocker-shaft :bigthumb:

#18 ·
That's the same blade I have for my X580 back to the storage rollers, those little wheels. The mount you're showing isn't anything like mine, but I have hydraulics and a quick attach system up front. Sarge will know, or a quick reference to the manual for the 570 should also give you the info you need.

That 48" blade is built far better than any tractor blade of it's size I've ever seen or used. I've used mine in the dirt, in the snow, in the woods, and every time I use it I feel better about buying the JD blade instead of something else. Built like a battleship.

#20 ·
Thank you BOBL. The blade & attachment were sold to me as "fitting X500 series JDs" (second hand). I know I can't necessarily rely on that but what is very frustrating is my local Deere dealers, including the one I bought my X570 from, are useless in trying to figure out what I have or whether or not I need the adapter kit. I have given them the serial number and most of the calls I've had try to push me back and forth between sales and parts. No one understands what teh adapter kit is for.

I have yet to roll the tractor over the blade attachment and see if it fits as I stated it looks like it could based on the 3 attachment points - I got the mower deck off last night before it got dark...just trying my best to figure out what I have and/or what I need before spending or wasting more money.

#19 ·
A quick look at the JD site shows the 48" blade for the 570 is identical to the blade for the 580 and 590. The blade mounts you're showing may be for the 300 or even for D series mowers.

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
Try this link as well, it takes you to where the compatibility kit is listed and sold.....on your list, its item number 9 on the right. Book mark these pages so you can get back to them as you will find the pictures and lay out handy for reference plus the parts description.

At the top of the page at the link below, you can select your dealer and it will show you actual inventory and price on the items.

Also, if you determine the part number of something, you can check to see what it's used on and it's compatability. The more you use the parts system, the easier it is and the more options you will find.

John Deere Parts Catalog

#23 ·
Thank you sulley - I was able to get someone at the dealer to find that kit. It appears it is what I need but they were not sure if I would need something else. The website is very helpful. Here is what I think I need - "full" - it is from a modern x570:

(insertin images in new post because the image insert is locking up and I at least want to get this reply in)

#28 ·
Snow plow solution for X570

Hi meegwell.. (or other users)
I have similar situation.
Ive got a 2017 X570 - so it is rugged, but no hydraulics, and standard grass tires. I live in VA just out of DC. Get 0-4 snow events of 2 - 10 inches yearly - so not a lot of snow, but when it comes, it can be wet and heavy. (light stuff I just use a leaf blower). 150ft asphalt driveway. What solution did you go with eventually and if doing it again, what was good / bad about your choice & what would you recommend? Genuine JD part, Johnny Products / wheel or suitcase weights, electric lift kits. This is all pretty new to me, so advice welcome.

#29 ·
Snow plow solution for X570

Hi meegwell.. (or other users)
I have similar situation.
Ive got a 2017 X570 - so it is rugged, but no hydraulics, and standard grass tires. I live in VA just out of DC. Get 0-4 snow events of 2 - 10 inches yearly - so not a lot of snow, but when it comes, it can be wet and heavy. (light stuff I just use a leaf blower). 150ft asphalt driveway. What solution did you go with eventually and if doing it again, what was good / bad about your choice & what would you recommend? Genuine JD part, Johnny Products / wheel or suitcase weights, electric lift kits. This is all pretty new to me, so advice welcome.
I know this is comical that yet again I still haven't resolved this issue but I am going to bite the bullet and buy the attachment kit then just go from there.

Did you ever resolve your issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.