Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ate my drive chain today on the 54" snowblower. It happened once before and I bought a length of chain, had the chain breaker. Well in cleaning up this summer I no longer saw the need for keeping the old broken chain around so I chucked it. Today buying a length paid off because I broke the second one, for some reason the shear bolt doesn't break first. Only this time the chain is lost in the snow. Not wanting to wait till spring I am hoping someone knows how many links long one is. They are difficult to change without to much disassembly so I would rather not play around with it more than I have to.I counted 25 links on a chain on Ebay but don't want to waste any so.... Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts
I've got a spare. Hold on for a few minutes. I'll go out and count the links...............

XzdCIa34ScK5nnzkYA6raw.jpg

I counted 52 links. #40 / 1/2" pitch chain.

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
I ate my drive chain today on the 54" snowblower. It happened once before and I bought a length of chain, had the chain breaker. Well in cleaning up this summer I no longer saw the need for keeping the old broken chain around so I chucked it. Today buying a length paid off because I broke the second one, for some reason the shear bolt doesn't break first. Only this time the chain is lost in the snow. Not wanting to wait till spring I am hoping someone knows how many links long one is. They are difficult to change without to much disassembly so I would rather not play around with it more than I have to.I counted 25 links on a chain on Ebay but don't want to waste any so.... Thanks for any help.
Since it sounds like you are making your own chain with a master link, do you still find it necessary to disassemble the same amount as you would to replace the OEM continuous chain?

If you've broken two chains already there are a few things I would check. First, ensure you aren't over tightening it. A bit loose is better than too tight. After you've adjusted it slowly rotate the sprocket 360-degrees and make sure there are no tight spots.

Second, if your shear bolts aren't breaking you might want to check to see if your shafts have rusted fast. Remove the shear bolt from the impeller and check that the impeller spins freely on the shaft. Also remove both of the auger shear bolts and ensure that both auger tubes rotate freely on the inner shaft.

Reactions: fdmars

·
Premium Member
13,004 Posts
I've got a spare. Hold on for a few minutes. I'll go out and count the links...............

I counted 52 links. #40 / 5/8" pitch chain.
Isn't #40 a 1/2-inch pitch chain?

·
Super Moderator
8,188 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your help. The first chain died from lack of lubrication. Yesterday I found several large rocks in the snow, either the street plows or several disgruntled neighbors who don't like some of my decisions as the local building inspector.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Premium Member
4,534 Posts
Thanks for your help. The first chain died from lack of lubrication. Yesterday I found several large rocks in the snow, either the street plows or several disgruntled neighbors who don't like some of my decisions as the local building inspector.
Linc, I hope you don't find the chain in the snow the next time you're out there working the blower, maybe this week or for that matter tomorrow or Thursday. Shhhhh, don't tell people you're a building official unless you like punishment,, just ask Pappa! Or take it from me! Jeff

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Small towns are small towns. Having been involved in almost every facet of town gov't since 1986 and driving around with my name on the side of the truck pretty much rules out incognito. I just put the loader back on and cleaned up with that. I broke two shear pine before the chain and found half a dozen potato to softball+ sized rocks that definitely weren't there the day before. With the help above I will get it back together soon. To answer Jgayman above there is little disassembly but it is challenging to get that master link and keeper in place. The large old hands just can't do what they did 40+ years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts